GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday after a three hour tour at Disneyland, we returned to the DCT to find a completely dead battery.

I don't think it's the battery. I think the bike didn't turn completely off. This happened once before, but I caught it after 15 minutes--the headlight was still on. This time I didn't look back, just walked away, and when I got back....nothing.

Luckily, I got a battery jumper for Xmas, which I had put in the left saddle bag. Unluckily, I didn't have anything thin enough to use to pry off the panel that exposes the key slot that opens the left saddle bag. I finally managed to pry it off with my fingers, then used the key to open the saddle bag, then used the battery jumper to start the bike.

The first time the bike started, everything on the screen was flashing. and it wouldn't go into gear. I turned off the ignition and tried to restart, but it hadn't been idling long enough. I reconnected the battery jumper, and restarted it, and then it would go into gear, but the check-engine light stayed on the whole 45-minute ride home, and it was idling too fast. After sitting overnight and charging the battery, the check-engine light was still on. I disconnected the negative cable let the bike sit for half-an-hour, reconnected the battery, restarted the bike (without touching the throttle), and let it warm up until the fan kicked in. After turning the bike off and back on, the check-engine light is off, and the idle is normal.

The main take-away is that carrying a battery jumper is a good idea.

I'm wondering if at least some of the reports of dead batteries aren't because of a batch of bad batteries but are instead the results of a bug in the software that occasionally fails to turn the system off.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I spoke with Honda about the issue of the bike not shutting off, and they told me if there is even the slightest amount of rear wheel movement when you turn the key knob off, that the bike won't shut totally down. If you turn it off a second time it should always shut it down. Apparently this is by design. So you have to make absolutely sure that the bike is totally stopped before you turn off the knob, or else you have to get into the habit of turning the key knob to the off position twice.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with Honda about the issue of the bike not shutting off, and they told me if there is even the slightest amount of rear wheel movement when you turn the key knob off, that the bike won't shut totally down. If you turn it off a second time it should always shut it down. Apparently this is by design. So you have to make absolutly sure that the bike is totally stopped before you turn off the knob, or else you have to get into the habit of turning the key knob to the off position twice.

As for your idle issue and engine light, I'm not sure whats going on. I'll try to look into it and see what I can find out.
Thanks for the prompt response. My pillion was aboard, so it's possible that there was a slight movement of the rear wheel, but it would have been miniscule. I'll be checking that going forward. As far as the check-engine light and idle, I've solved that and updated my post accordingly.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
thanks for the prompt response. My pillion was aboard, so it's possible that there was a slight movement of the rear wheel, but it would have been miniscule. I'll be checking that going forward. As far as the check-engine light and idle, i've solved that and updated my post accordingly.
maybe ck and see when shutting off and wheel not stopped if does again. Mite be by design but thats sucks imop if have to ck lights etc to be sure off. Think i'd get in habit of turning to off twice . Small bags and have to carry jump box not good either.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Could make a habit of engaging the steering lock.

It should ensure it's been turn off, since it process requires turning the knob twice.

Locking
aTurn the ignition switch to OFF. (P49)
bTurn the handlebars all the way to the left or right.
cTurn the ignition switch counterclockwise.

uThe steering lock indicator comes on briefly and the steering is automatically locked.

uIf the steering lock indicator blinks and the alarm sounds, the steering has not been locked completely because the steering was not positioned all the way to the left or right.
If this occurs, reposition the handlebars all the way to the left or right, then turn the ignition switch counterclockwise (The steering can also be locked by positioning it all the way to the left or right while the alarm is sounding).

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Smart on your part, getting the battery pack. I gave out 3 of those for Christmas but haven’t picked 1 up for myself. Yet. I also had thoughts of ...a 3 hour tour...Gillian...SS Minnow...and being ‘aground’ on an uncharted parking lot. Sorry, it’s supper cold up here and I struggled to get cars running today. :)

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Smart on your part, getting the battery pack. I gave out 3 of those for Christmas but haven’t picked 1 up for myself. Yet. I also had thoughts of ...a 3 hour tour...Gillian...SS Minnow...and being ‘aground’ on an uncharted parking lot. Sorry, it’s supper cold up here and I struggled to get cars running today. :)
In my case it's hard to tell the difference between "smart" and "lucky." My biggest worry was how to explain to the AAA driver how to find me in the DLand parking lot. ("I'm right by Goofy 8.") I owe our getting home to this forum and a pre-Xmas thread about the advantages of these battery packs.

So thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I spoke with Honda about the issue of the bike not shutting off, and they told me if there is even the slightest amount of rear wheel movement when you turn the key knob off, that the bike won't shut totally down. If you turn it off a second time it should always shut it down. Apparently this is by design. So you have to make absolutely sure that the bike is totally stopped before you turn off the knob, or else you have to get into the habit of turning the key knob to the off position twice.
Great response I might also add that when you get off the bike in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot you look back twice to make sure you don't forget where you parked it LOL come on

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great response I might also add that when you get off the bike in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot you look back twice to make sure you don't forget where you parked it LOL come on
So true. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Lately I've taken to taking a picture of where I've parked. Wait--what were we talking about?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for this info, Fred. For me, it's just another reason not to buy the new Wing.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I don’t have a DCT but doesnt it have an emergency or parking brake?

Maybe your supposed to set the brake before turning it off.

What’s the documented procedure say?

·
Registered
471 Posts
....So yesterday after a three hour tour at Disneyland, we returned to the DCT to find a completely dead battery.....
I'm glad you got it started, and everything seems to be good to go.
And your battery seems to still be good.
But the most surprising thing to me about this whole ordeal was that you only spent three hours in Disneyland!
Jefro.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t have a DCT but doesnt it have an emergency or parking brake?

Maybe your supposed to set the brake before turning it off.

What’s the documented procedure say?
Well, that would be one good way to make sure the rear wheel was immobile, but I find no mention of that relative to turning off the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad you got it started, and everything seems to be good to go.
And your battery seems to still be good.
But the most surprising thing to me about this whole ordeal was that you only spent three hours in Disneyland!
Jefro.
We're there a lot. We have passes, and we're a half-hour away. Sometimes we go just for lunch.

·
Registered
322 Posts
battery jumper

Gary (gkarasik), what brand of battery jumper do you carry in your bike? I've always carried motorcycle jumper cables in my saddlebags (which I've never had to use thank goodness) but I'd like to be able to get my bike started if a dead battery were to happen in a remote area. Of course, things like that never happen in a convenient area. So if you would, let me know what the brand is, maybe even post a picture or two of it. There might be others that are interested too. Thanks! 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gary (gkarasik), what brand of battery jumper do you carry in your bike? I've always carried motorcycle jumper cables in my saddlebags (which I've never had to use thank goodness) but I'd like to be able to get my bike started if a dead battery were to happen in a remote area. Of course, things like that never happen in a convenient area. So if you would, let me know what the brand is, maybe even post a picture or two of it. There might be others that are interested too. Thanks! 8)
I'm interested in knowing the brand/model of this battery jumper as well. Then I'll investigate if I can get it in Canada? Then again, I am headed down the Blue Ridge Parkway this June. I could always pick one up at one of my stops.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
My guess is that Honda programmed the bike this way so that if the ignition got accidentally shut off at night while riding, the headlights and tail lights wouldn't go off.

I don't know what Gary uses for a jump battery, but I use an Anti-Gravity Micro start Mini battery that is about the size of an Iphone as a jump battery. It is their smallest model available. I used it to jump start a Chevy suburban with a V8 once, and have used it for my car. There are many others out there on the market now that are just as good. Go to Amazon and type Jump Battery, there are dozens of good options available.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's a recent thread here:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/440075-battery-jump-pack.html

I don't want to come off as an expert on this. Far from it--I just got lucky because after reading the above thread, I decided it sounded like a good idea, and it was just before Xmas. My wife is always complaining that she can't figure out what to get me for Xmas because I always buy what I want when I want it, but the timing was such that it meant waiting only a few weeks. I sent her a link to this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Gravity...=8-3&keywords=xp-10-hd+micro-start+heavy+duty

because Consumer Reports rated it best.

There are dozens of them of different capabilities, but the most important feature is the power and how long they hold that power while sitting in your trunk. Like a flashlight, you don't want to forget about it, then have it be dead when you need it; OTOH, you also don't want an additional frequent-maintenance item to have to worry about.

The XP-10 is large. With its case and accessories, it takes up a lot of space in my side bag, which is now pretty full with the XP-10, a tool kit, a first-aid kit, a tire inflator, and a tire-patch kit. If I had a do-over, I might look at the XP-1

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-An...s=micro-start+mini+xp-5+antigravity+batteries

which can be had with or without the tire-inflator, or the XP-3.

If you read through the thread, you'll see lots of different models and capabilities. For the bike I don't think you need anything as powerful as what I got--something with reserves for 4 or 5 jumps would be enough, I think, because if that won't do it, you need more help than the jump starter can provide. So look for size of the unit, length of time holding a charge, and fittings to connect to your bike. This last was a problem with the XP-10 because the positive alligator connectors couldn't grab solidly onto the battery positive terminal, given where it is located partially obstructed by the side bag. I had to hold the alligator clip's copper teeth against the battery terminal with one hand while reaching up to start the bike with the other; clumsy, but it worked.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts