GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have a dead or flat spot in my throttle position sensor. When riding at slow speeds just barely opening the throttle there seems to be a spot that nothing happens then suddenly it just shoots off. Its kinda dangerous like when manuvering around parking lots and such. You can almost hear it when running it in neutral but its more pronounced in gear. Anybody have this happen??

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,482 Posts
Is it around 1100 rpms? If so, you are not alone. If you let it idle and just barely roll the throttle up when it gets around 1100 it will bounce up and down in a cyclic function. There was lots of debate about this in the past and no answer was ever agreed upon. Most of us that experience it, just stay out of that region of throttle and utilize the clutch more.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I agree with the above... I use the clutch as the speed control for slow speed driving...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yep, this happens all the time...around 1400prm.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
And this is the fix...

http://www.g2ergo.com/g2-tamer-throttle-tubes-720.html

I guess I should have added that yes, I have a throttle tamer installed on my Wing. I no longer have that annoying lag, at the moment you start to roll the throttle on. It is smooth. I like it.

I should also note that this mod does not fix the engine surge when the throttle is held at that particular spot where the RPM's magically surge up and down with a steady throttle input. There are two issues being discussed here.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the RPM where mine is doing it and i'm checking into the link above....

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Following this thread to see if anyone has installed the "throttle tamer" and what their results were.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There have been numerous threads relating to this issue and seems that there have been several attempts to fix by some of the more prominent techs that visit this board. The fixes have ranged from installing an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to smooth out lo speed pressures, adjusting the slack out of the throttle cables, and even installing an aftermarket throttle assembly to slow down the response. I may be wrong, but looks as if there may be several different issues and all of the above may be valid fixes for different problems.

My '03 seems to be fairly smooth with throttle response, but definitely has the 1000-1200 rpm surging/hunting when operating at normal temps. This makes for difficult lo-speed manuevering in low gear. I have learned to operate the bike better by making up for the hesitation by feathering the clutch, staying in 2nd gear, etc. All of which works for me, but still it is a little awkward to opearte in the lo-rpm ranges.

Several years back, there was a couple of threads that dealt with this item that the OP posted about (seems that several of the earlier year bikes were having this same surging/hunting/off throttle delay response). Some good info can be found by searching the Tech section for "Hesitation".

Sure would like to find a real permanent cure for it.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Following this thread to see if anyone has installed the "throttle tamer" and what their results were.
I updated my post... see above...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,482 Posts
That is the RPM where mine is doing it and i'm checking into the link above....
A stumble that far off of idle may actually be a dead spot in your TPS. You should do the test in the service manual. The old threads and the hunting/surging I was referring to isn't that high of rpm.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I can tell you the 09 still does it, and I'm pretty sure the 10's do as well

·
Registered
316 Posts
From 07 to 10 are the same bike. They made the 10's in 09 but just stored them to sell in 10. my 08 does the same thing. I use the clutch for this.

I am also going to look into the throttle tamer. Look interesting.

·
Registered
21,061 Posts
And this is the fix...

http://www.g2ergo.com/g2-tamer-throttle-tubes-720.html

I guess I should have added that yes, I have a throttle tamer installed on my Wing. I no longer have that annoying lag, at the moment you start to roll the throttle on. It is smooth. I like it.

I should also note that this mod does not fix the engine surge when the throttle is held at that particular spot where the RPM's magically surge up and down with a steady throttle input. There are two issues being discussed here.
Larry thanks for the update :thumbup:
i just might try one if i can come up with an extra $75 , was it a pretty easy install ? i have heard the 2012's are way smoother, maybe thats how they fixed it ?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
......, staying in 2nd gear,....
Out of three '10s, one of mine is a hunter. All three of them have a "flat" spot between 1,200-1,350 rpms (slightly different for each). In neutral, its like there is one narrow window in the rpms that you just can't hold. Immediately above or below is fine. Its not even detectable in gear and underway. Only does it when free-wheeling in neutral.

On the "hunter", I feel the results at parking lot speeds but 2nd gear levels it out. I don't even think about it anymore. Its there at start up but more noticable after riding all day. When I first got this bike and experienced parking lot speed hunt for the first time in first gear, I was turning around in tight quarters at a gas station. Almost put me in a bind. Later, did an ECM reset with no change. Just got used to it and anticipate it...no problem...until I get on a Wing that doesn't hunt but I'm anticipating it to do so. Keeps me on my toes, so to speak.

I like the idea of the Throttle Tamer but don't think its a cure for the my issues but I can only see good with the intial, gradual rate and nothing bad. Kudos to the guy that came up with idea and thank goodness for CNC machines. Personally, I'd like to have one with the gradual inital throttle, OEM rate in the mid-range and quick throttle from mid on up to WFO.

At the risk of being pessimistic, I think the "hunter" Wing was built late on a Friday afternoon or first thing Monday morning (somebody's was). Before Traxxionizing, it was wobbling as bad as any Wing I've ever seen and that was at 700 miles, it's a hunter, the transmission doesn't shift as smooth as my old '03 or either of the other two 10's. It grunts and groans at start-up. Rode through a light rain the other day and the cruise engagement button quit working until it had time to dry out. When on the center stand, it leans to the right. I'm starting to notice a rear caliper chatter at 15k. And to add insult to injury, the damn Honda logo above the ignition switch was glued on crooked as it could be and still fit in the recess. I've got extended warranty on it, therefore, I'm using it as my primary bike and riding it like a government mule. If its going to break, I'm going to make sure its sooner rather than later. And if it doesn't break, what the he11. I just got a sneaking suspicion that, sometime in the future, Mother Honda will get some visitation time with this baby. In the mean time, I'm enjoying proving/disproving my therory. Knowing what I suspect, I still wouldn't trade it even for anything else other than another new GL1800. I realize that all the parts, components and sub-assemblies graduated from the Honda QA/QC program but that does not mean all of them graduated at the top of there class.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Z

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
From what I've read regarding this is that it is kind of an industry wide problem, to varying degrees. It has to do with the idling air/fuel mixture being very lean to comply with the emission regs. When the engine comes off the idle situation the mixture gets richer and the power surges.

Probably the best way would be to re-map the fuel delivery, but don't think that is possible on an a GW ECM.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Is it around 1100 rpms? If so, you are not alone. If you let it idle and just barely roll the throttle up when it gets around 1100 it will bounce up and down in a cyclic function. There was lots of debate about this in the past and no answer was ever agreed upon. Most of us that experience it, just stay out of that region of throttle and utilize the clutch more.
I to have noticed the same thing....sort of scary when your trying to my a slow and gentle move and it jump on you with very little or no warning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts