GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you decide to buy a new Goldwing, how many out there would never consider trading in, over selling your trade-in yourself?

I for one would never give my used Goldwing to a dealer.
Yes I said give, because with all my years of buying trucks, cars, boats, atv's, snowmoibles, campers, most dealers will give you next to nothing when trading.
I understand they need to cover their overhead, but I for one will not play that game.

Sell it yourself at a fair market price, then get your best deal on a new one.

What's your thoughts?

Deal or no deal???

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Depends on teh dealer. My 92 se was bought for 10,000 my trade in ? I got 10,000 and the bike I bought was way below MSRp soooo I felt I didnt lose anything. When my 02 busted the frame he made me a trade deal that made me feel like I stole the thing... I will buy from him again.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I usually try to sell out right and then make my best deal on the new vehicle.

However, Here in NY, if you trade in a vehicle on a new one, the trade in agreed upon value is deducted from the the new sale price and you are only liable for Sales Tax on the remainder. For me, that is 7.5%.

So, one has got to consider all the angles.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I would try to sell it first. When trading, they will usually only give you wholesale for your trade in. If all else failed, then I would consider trading and, like Bulldog said, realize the tax benefit.

One distinct advantage of trading is you don't have to deal with a bunch of idiots coming over to your house wanting to ride the bike and hassling you on price. Also, if your time if extremely valuable, then trading makes sense. The amount of time and effort involved in a private sale might be too much of a pain.

I guess there are pros and cons both ways. Hell, the best solution might be never sell, just add on. Sooner or later, you'll have enough to fill your garage. :D

Bartman

·
Registered
786 Posts
there's tax to look at here too,

I would rather sell it and go buy new, but

when you sell you pay all the tax back to uncle sam
if you trade it in yo get that much off the new bike,
such as
if you get $10,000 trade in, and the new bike is $16,000.
then you only pay tax on the $6,000, That would be about $725. savings here, state to stae will differ
so that is something to take in condsideration,

But I too would never willing trade one in too fast.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Tax is a consideration and so is the hassle of selling the bike privatley.

I ask about trade value and then decide from there. I've traded in a few times and was reasonably happy with the deal.

I just sold my '91 Venture privatley and there's no question that was the best thing to do but then that's a pretty old bike so dealers give you even less for them at that point.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dealer offered $5,000 for my '95SE. Sold it myself in one day for $8,000 on Ebay. Not much work for an extra $3,000.

Ed
'06 ABS

·
Registered
214 Posts
The best deal is always selling it yourself.
Sales Tax? What is that? LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
wing-renter said:
Sales tax is also a real consideration for bypassing the dealer altogether and buying a slightly used Wing from a private party.
You still have to pay State sales tax when you register the bike,,,private seller, or not.

·
Registered
552 Posts
wing-renter said:
Sales tax is also a real consideration for bypassing the dealer altogether and buying a slightly used Wing from a private party.
Ditto... new only lasts for a couple of days. I will never buy a new bike unless it's something I absolutely have to have and there are no used ones on the market.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Bulldog said:
However, Here in NY, if you trade in a vehicle on a new one, the trade in agreed upon value is deducted from the the new sale price and you are only liable for Sales Tax on the remainder.
I've never traded in a vehicle, I drive them until they are dead. So this trade-in lowering the taxable sell price is news to me. Does anyone know if this is also the case in CA?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You still have to pay State sales tax when you register the bike,,,private seller, or not.
Not true. Some states do not have sales tax. In Orygun, total cost to register a nice shiny new Goldwing is $88. From their site
http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/motorcycle-registration.php

Registering a motorcycle with the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) consists of a filling out a simple application form available online, and paying a $30 fee for a two-year registration.
There is also a $55 regular title fee, and if the motorcycle has not already been registered, you will also have to pay the $3 plate fee for a new plate.
But you also have to produce proof insurance and proof of residency (that means an Oregon Drivers License).

·
Registered
505 Posts
I plan on putting so many miles on mine by the time I get a new one it won't be worth anything to anyone. But at 52,000, it still runs like a dream so it may be a long time before I get that new one. Unless of course they start making candy red again. :wink: :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts