GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GL1800 05 silver 29k on it plus $5000 , trade for 2011 victory vision out the door with 5yr warenty and 10yr on motor and trans...good or not?
victory is pearl wht. fully loaded.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Might be a good deal for you if you want a Victory. My 2cents, they could not give me $5k and a New Victory for my Wing, well maybe the could. Then I would sell the Victory and buy a Newer Wing! But hey, if you like the ride, by all means go for it! They are a Unique Bike in their own right! Ride Safe!
:agree:

If you want a V-Twin, laid back "cruiser" type bike with a lot less performance, go for it. Before you do though, ride the Vision. If you like it, buy it. I have a feeling that you might experience buyers remorse down the road.

Like Rick said, they only way I would ever own one is if they gave it to me and then I would sell it and buy something like a C-14 or an FJR to compliment my wing.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Alrite where is the pic of a victory & BOZO the clown!!!!!

WHENEVER I see a victory I start laughing!!!!! & my buddy has 1!!! LMAO!!!

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Deal wise it sounds good.
Looks wise for me I would take a HD Fatboy over the Victory Vision
If it were a car it wold be an AMC Pacer

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
pretty decent deal I think, but of course you're the one that has to live/ride with the Vision. Wouldn't be my bike of choice.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Everyone has their own preferences.. won't comment on that.

One thing I would consider - how long will Victory be around selling motorcycles? Their numbers aren't too great.

Buy a new GW like I did. You'll get 10% of the Victory's rear end. :p

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I remember reading of your dissatisfaction with the 'wing, and of course the Victory VTwin will be better accepted by your friends, but will the Vision? It is pretty radical for the cruiser crowd. Deal wise, it seems to probably be fair with going prices. You are the one that has to be happy with the bike, though. Personally, I prefer the looks of their Cross Country Tour over the VVTour. Would fit in better with the other VTwins, too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We test rode both before buying the Wing and in comparison the Vision had less luggage room and the radio reception was fairly awful. I think the wind protection was somewhat better on the Vision but my wife preferred the passenger seating position of the Wing. The electronically adjustable windshield on the Vision seemed to be more of a gadget to me while I really like the adjustable suspension on the Wing. I thought the rider comfort was slightly better on the Vision but not by much. Power and braking both go to the Wing as does handling and it isn't even close in those three areas. We have friends with Visions and they've had no trouble with them at all but the Vision doesn't have the track record of the GL1800 though it seems to be developing an excellent reliability track record. I'd be happy on either but in the end the Wing is what be chose.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I don't see how anyone could compare a V twin anything with the Goldwing and personally, I would not want to be seen on a Victory. The styling is goofy in my opinion.

I understand the love for HDs although they don't interest me at all. I don't even understand why anyone would find a Victory appealing.

·
Banned
226 Posts
GL1800 05 silver 29k on it plus $5000 , trade for 2011 victory vision out the door with 5yr warenty and 10yr on motor and trans...good or not?

Now if you ask this question on a Victory forum you will get positive responses instead of negativity. If you love it, buy it ! This place is like asking the Teabaggers who they're going to vote for. There's a lot more to life than just a Honda Lead Thing and the stupid old diaper wearing geezers that will ride em into their graves. You really are asking the wrong crowd.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I really do believe this is the wrong place to be asking a question like that. Predictable outcome.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the Vision, even though from reports, it's an excellent motorcycle with good reliability. It seems to have reasonable power and handling, but not like the Wing's. And I agree, the view from in front looks like Bozo the Clown.

I don't think you can compare V-Twin engines to flat 6's or inline 4's, but you can compare performance and the V just doesn't measure up to the 6's or 4's. What you can compare, though, is the overall motorcycle regardless of engine type. A bike with an engine like the Wing's or some other inline type of engine is geared toward performance and power. The V-Twin-powered bike is more intended for laid back riding and a rider in no particular hurry or desire for high speed. Doesn't mean it's a bad bike, just meant for a rider with a different approach to motorcycling than the typical Gold Wing rider.

As for the "deal," that sounds fair, if that's the kind of motorcycle you want to ride. If so, then you've got a good deal going and you should jump on it. But do test ride one before pulling the trigger on the Vision, just to make sure you know what you're getting into. You might love it or you may not, but only riding it will tell you. Good luck there, and if you go for it, do let us know all about it.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I would say it is an excellent deal! I sat on a 2011 Vision a couple of days ago. I liked the bike, although, it would take some getting used to. I love the looks of that big V-twin, but doubt that it will be even close to the smoothness of the Wing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Value is in the eye of the beholder...Your money, your choice.

quick comparison to Ebay listings.

My thinking is that the value on the '05 with 30k is around 15,000 plus your 5,000 means paying 20,000 for the Victory. MSRP is around 20,000 for the Victory Tour.

So, it looks like even money to me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't see how anyone could compare a V twin anything with the Goldwing and personally, I would not want to be seen on a Victory. The styling is goofy in my opinion.

I understand the love for HDs although they don't interest me at all. I don't even understand why anyone would find a Victory appealing.
:agree:

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Vision's not my thing. I rode one though and it's a pretty decent riding bike. Not much luggage room in the side cases (big lids, little interior), but different strokes for different folks. One thing that would concern me is the presence (absence?) of Victory dealers when you're on the road... Ultimately though, it's your call. Ride what YOU like!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Now if you ask this question on a Victory forum you will get positive responses instead of negativity. If you love it, buy it ! This place is like asking the Teabaggers who they're going to vote for. There's a lot more to life than just a Honda Lead Thing and the stupid old diaper wearing geezers that will ride em into their graves. You really are asking the wrong crowd.
Right on....make up your own mind, Trell. Next, I suppose you'll be asking when is a good time to take a dump.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well despite several responses my advice would be this. Ride the Victory Vision. If you like it then look up the trade in value for your bike and then make your decision as to whether your getting a deal that works for you. Ignore the posters who want to push their personal opinion of the Vision on to you. Buy what you like and want BOTTOM LINE, and dismiss the rest.

Richl

1 - 20 of 37 Posts