GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer wants it back. Just what should they be doing to the bike at this time? Anyone got any stories, or prices on what to expect. Just tossin it out for a few replys!! :shrug:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
What they want is your money. The "1000 mile service" is just a phoney excuse to get more of it. The owner's manual tells you what needs service and when. Why not just use that as your guide? Take it some place where the people are more honest or maybe learn to do it yourself if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
According to the service manual and the owners manual, the first service is at 4000 miles. Some dealers want to do a service to increase their bottom line. Ask the dealer what they include and compare it to your owner's manual.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Dealer wants it back. Just what should they be doing to the bike at this time? Anyone got any stories, or prices on what to expect. Just tossin it out for a few replys!! :shrug:
Since there is no 1000 mile service on the Wing according to the manual, ask them if it's a free checkup. If they want $$, tell them no thanks; you're going by the book.

·
Registered
356 Posts
what everyone is saying is that some dealers will say anything to make you spend more money to help their bottom line - thus the "1000 mile checkup" (it's pure BS).

Educate yourself on your bike and what needs to be done and you'll know when someone is trying to take advantage of you. The mere fact that you posted this means you questioned his answer, which also means you knew it was wrong.

There's lots of good information on this site. Use the search function and ask questions. No need to give a stealer unnecessary money for something that doesn't need to be done. As you grow in confidence, you'll discover that most things a stealer can do you, can do better with a little help from here.
best of luck and welcome.:congrats:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought mine out of state. I took it to the local dealer for a check at 600 miles. This was mainly for my own peace of mind.

Years ago, the 600 mile check was standard. I have continued to do this with all my bikes because it costs so little and it gives a trained, trusted mechanic the opportunity to spot any issues that might have come up.

It cost me $130, but I can make that up by drinking fewer Dews on the road. :)

I have a good relationship with my local dealership and I don't want them to be too upset that I bought my bike elsewhere. I will continue to take it to them for regular service. The local dealership mainly sells ATVs, but they have a trike business and have an excellent GL mechanic. (He rides a GL1800 daily.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your input When I got my VTX1800C in 2001 I did the 1000 mile and they charged me $280. They said they changed the oil and the 4 plugs on my V twin. and checked for anything loose. I have done all the maintenance since then. It was the first one out of there shop and when I wanted the front springs changed to Progressive springs, They had to order the special socket fork to do the job. Did I mention that when I got the bike back and rode it home the front wheel was on back wards!! I have duel calibers and they didn't check the arrow on the wheel!! since then I have never been back.
This bike I got from another dealer! I have an extended warranty on the wing but really don't want them to touch it. I bought the service manual for the VTX and will do the same for the Wing. Thanks Guys for all your Input!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
My dealer asked to have my bike back at 1000 miles, it was free, they checked to make sure nothing was loose, took about 1/2 hour, I was happy they did it, they, no doubt, were worried about liability, it was a win win.

If they dealer is reputable, it will no doubt be free, give them a call and ask, can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I believe it's 4000 miles or 1 month which ever comes first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts