GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to my local dealer (Lancaster Honda) to check out the 2018’s they have marked down. While asking questions, I mentioned I’d probably add led fog lights and a hitch. They said they can do that for me when I buy the bike... I told them to price it out just to see.

Anyone know about the OEM fog lights and hitch and if it’s better to get it aftermarket or take advantage of them installing it as part of the purchase?

UPDATE: bought the bike. $5,000 off msrp. I got it for $22,700, plus 10% off parts and installation. They are installing a RIVCO hitch & OEM fog lights.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
My suggestion would be to have the fog lights and hitch installed as part of the purchase.

:doorag:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got them when I bought the bike. The stealership did me *no* favors on labor. I would think they should eat that cost, as the bike should be deliverable as 'ordered'...they can earn their 'destination' and 'dealer prep' fees.

They did, however, screw up and not realize they need some sort of mounting kit for the upgraded rear speakers, which inconvenienced me a great deal, so they 'gave' that to me for 'free'....lists for $300 - which means it probably costs about $25...

I guess they get you - one way or the other...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've found a good dealer in a 'no sales tax' state. They have given a 15% discount on oem accessories and 50% discount for installation labor at time of purchase, and provided a separate receipt for the extras. Bill of Sale price only reflects the actual base bike purchase price, which is used to pay my home state tax at registration. Some OEM accessories are worth the purchase/installation from the dealer....they should stand behind their in-house installs.....others not so much. I think you can almost always do better w/aftermarket...but then what's your time worth(?). B.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I highly doubt that the dealership will install a hitch.

I have the fog lights in my 2015 and wish I would have put in after-market. The fog lights are great, but as stated, there are better and brighter out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New to GW, so this may seem basic but: Are there any key aftermarket suppliers that are recommended? (thinking internal bags for the side cases, fog or driving lights, bags for passenger seat) Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If they offer any discounts or if you aren't willing or capable of doing it yourself, I'd consider it. I install my accessories myself; I enjoy it and get to know the bike.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Reactions: Paul Podstawka
1 - 9 of 9 Posts