GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an almost stock 2004 Goldwing GL1800 a few months ago and have begun to customize my motorcycle to reflect my idea of what I would like for it to become. I use the word "Become" because custom parts for my Wing are costly to say the least. I just had a new set of Kuryakin Floorboards with the heel-toe shifter installed. I must first explain that I love to ride, but am not mechanically inclined! That may be a problem and until I get acclimated to my new toy, I'm going to rely on my area Honda Dealers to do the work for me.

I am wanting to share the price I paid and allow you all to tell me if it is fair or unrealistic. I purchased my pre-owned bike from this dealer and got a great price. I feel that if they could discount an installation, perhaps my being a buyer might come into play.

I was able to order the new floor boards from the dealer's web site for $356 (Reg. $429). They said that the install would take 2.5 hours and that a $150 total install charge would be added to the cost of the floorboards. The total came to a little over $515.00. I'm thinking this might be high. Does it really take a full 2.5 hours to install both sides? The YouTube video shows how it is done and it doesn't look too complicated. Having never done this, perhaps it is much more difficult than it seems. I hope that you all can share your prices and experiences with me.

No matter the cost, the floorboards were a great addition and I will now tackle wind deflectors next. That can be a different post!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
$150.00 to install the floorboards, shifter and brake pedal is way too high. He made up for the discount on the boards with labor charge.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If I was you I would get a friend that lived nearby that is mechanically inclined to help you install and you could learn at the same time. JMO

·
Registered
156 Posts
Heel toe shifter

I installed heel-toe shifter in about 20 minutes. After a week of testing it, I removed it and reinstalled the original pegs in about the same amount of time. Then I gave the heel-toe shifter to someone who thought he would want to use them someday. I did not have the heart to take pay for them.

It may take longer to get the tools together than to do the job. :?

Like wingmick suggested: Ask your riding friends to help you with simple tasks if they have experience in doing them. I enjoy my bike which has Utopia backrest, honda fog lights, CB, full-face helmet, and a gas credit card.

Congrats on your new bike!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It took me 15 minutes to change the Floorboards, heel-toe shifter, because with Kuryakyn the heel-toe is one piece with the floorboard.

Left side - Remove two bolts and take off left foot peg. Slide off rubber sleeve on shifter. Replace with the heel-toe adapter 4 very small screws. Re-install the 2 bolts for the floorboard.

Right side - Remove the 2 bolts for the right side foot pegs. Take off foot pegs. Remove 1 bolt on the brake pedal. Take a large screwdriver and place in slot to open slightly. Remove brake pedal. 10 minutes tops. Drill hole in brake pedal for bolt-on brake pedal cover. Replace brake pedal and re-bolt. Install left floorboard with 2 bolts previously removed.

All done. Price is way to HIGH! Should not take longer than 1 hour and that includes drinking a coke.

Wish I lived closer...you could pay me and save some money too!

If you can turn a screwdriver, you can work on your own bike. Get Fred Harmon's DVD maintenance set and it will take you step-by-step to repairing your own bike. It isn't rocket science.

* Note* to check the coolant in the reservoir you will have to remove the left floorboard, because the heel-toe shifter is in the way.

Check here 1st before doing any repairs. We all can help and it is so satisfying knowing you did it yourself.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Yes, that seems way high and a longer than needed amount of time.
However, there are now many dealers that have a minimum labor charge no matter if the "real time" is less than that.
If you are going for a "lot" of goodies.
The next thing for you to buy is the Honda shop manual for your bike.
Also, consider Fred H's Videos.
Then using those, the instructions that come with what you buy and help from the board you to can become decent "mechanic".
Everyone started at sometime!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments!

I felt that I was being hoodwinked. Dealers will take advantage of you if you do not know or want to deal with installation yourself. I am going to add wind deflectors this month and I will attempt to have them do them for free if they wish to keep my business. There is another Honda Dealer in a neighboring town and I called them and they quoted my 1 hr. installation or less depending on the exact time to finish. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
19,959 Posts
It was an hour job maximum for all installs. I would say you were hosed. Let the dealer know

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I would expect to pay a shop $75 - $100 per hour. I think my local shop charges $90. I do all accesories myself, but had a few things installed at purchase and I negotiated those installs into the purchase price. I think I got a pretty fair deal on the labor.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Like said above, get a manual. A tiny tool set is all that is required for most things. If you have troubles ask on here for advice or further instruction.

If you're close you can bring your rig by my place and I can install any bling you want for FREE. I'm sure a lot of folks would do the same.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Question

Where in the "United States" do you live???? You will be surprised all the folks around you that are willing to come over and show you how to do this stuff to your bike. Save yourself a ton of money, learn your ride and make new riding buddies.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
An easy 1 hour job and the price he also made money at on the sale...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I do not have strong mechanical experience and yet I am able to put on most of my own accessories. Some items like the air filter is just too much of a hassle but others like the ones you are writing about would be fun. I don't thank your dealers per hour charge is high but the time to put on the floorboards is. Like someone posted above maybe your dealer has a min charge. Invite a friend over and go slow. You also may find YouTube videos showing how to install different items. I know I did for my modulator, windshield, Utopia backrest, etc. I find a video is far better then most of the install instructions that I find.
Good Luck,

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I sell the Kury 4038 Heel Toe shifter all day long for $339.99 with free shipping.

If I was to install them for you, the charge would be 1 hour at $60 or less, depending on how much you helped me and bothered me with the magic questions of "Kenya and Sinceuis"......LOL Time is Money!

Did you get hosed? No I don't think so. Dealers have employees and overhead above and beyond mine.

Are there better deals out there? Yes!

Don't beat yourself up over this or embarass yourself. Be patient and look around befor you comit next time!

Bulldog

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I purchased an almost stock 2004 Goldwing GL1800 a few months ago and have begun to customize my motorcycle to reflect my idea of what I would like for it to become. I use the word "Become" because custom parts for my Wing are costly to say the least. I just had a new set of Kuryakin Floorboards with the heel-toe shifter installed. I must first explain that I love to ride, but am not mechanically inclined! That may be a problem and until I get acclimated to my new toy, I'm going to rely on my area Honda Dealers to do the work for me.

I am wanting to share the price I paid and allow you all to tell me if it is fair or unrealistic. I purchased my pre-owned bike from this dealer and got a great price. I feel that if they could discount an installation, perhaps my being a buyer might come into play.

I was able to order the new floor boards from the dealer's web site for $356 (Reg. $429). They said that the install would take 2.5 hours and that a $150 total install charge would be added to the cost of the floorboards. The total came to a little over $515.00. I'm thinking this might be high. Does it really take a full 2.5 hours to install both sides? The YouTube video shows how it is done and it doesn't look too complicated. Having never done this, perhaps it is much more difficult than it seems. I hope that you all can share your prices and experiences with me.

No matter the cost, the floorboards were a great addition and I will now tackle wind deflectors next. That can be a different post!
Well when you get those wind thingies......let us know and we will show you how to install them. Dealers have to make a living and they do. So never ever believe a dealer about anything. The game is profit that is the bottom line and for the public most do not know and pay up willingly .

However to install the floorboards and the brake arm pedal is about all of a 20 minute job. So a one hour minimum shop charge is understandable. I do the same even if it is but to put in a faucet washer, one hour minimum to cover fuel, and costs........but 2.5 hours is padding the game.

Even if you drink two beers, put on one, drink two more beers.......well now we have four beers and it now may take 45 minutes..........:lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you want to drive a litle north of Logansport I will install a barely used set of kury boards and shifter for $300. I was too short in the inseam and did not feel comfortable reaching around them. Less than a hundred miles and not a scratch, ding or bug. Easy to install and a new brake lever too..............

Gene

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As others have said, the install cost seems high. Probably a good idea to negotiate this into the price of any future items you purchase/install through a dealer.

While I totally get not wanting to get yourself in over your head doing and install, the fact is that on most items you CAN do it yourself if you just give it a try. You said it yourself, the you tube video you watched did not seem to indicate that it was anything too complicated. Sure, it might take you longer to do something than it does a mechanic, but where's the harm in that? For me, one of the fun parts about owning a Wing is the opportunity to learn something new. I tend to do everything I can myself, and have no problem asking for help and advice when needed. If tools are an issue, consider this...The difference in $ you save by doing it yourself can be applied to picking up a few of the basic tools you'll need. I'm not suggesting that you do a big engine tear down or something really involved right out of the chute, but don't sell yourself short or let the basic things intimidate you either.

Happy wrenching, riding, and learning to you.

PS - Fred Harmon's DVDs are a great visual aid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts