GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a “free” oil change from my dealer. I checked after them and it is overfilled, well over 1 inch above top mark. I have a DCT model. Receipt shows 5 quarts used and I have to assume the tech poured the whole 5 in it instead of the ~4.9 called for. But being that high on the stick I wonder if he didn’t change the oil filter and/or DCT filter and it should have been 4.6. However, the oil on the stick looks clean.

I called them and they said, “it won’t hurt it”. I disagree.

What is easiest way to get some out? Drop one of the oil plugs into clean container and refill back? I don’t have any crush washers on hand. Or stick a tube through the dipstick hole and siphon out?

I checked it standing upright after shutting down for 2 minutes without screwing the dipstick down; only touched down.

Thoughts?

Edit: measured it and it is closer to 1” instead of 1.5”.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Turkey baster or large syringe with a section of tubing attached. (assuming suction device diameter is too large to fit)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Are you sure the level was checked properly and honestly, I think there are a lot of bikes out there doing fine with and extra 0.1 quarts.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I could be wrong but I do not think an extra 3 ounces would send it that far above the full mark assuming the correct check was done, I see you did it by the book. (whole other can of worms)

Its possible they added the 4.9 or 5 and did not change the filters. Look at your oil filter, it should be obvious if its a new one.

When I checked my oil properly I was about the same over on the dipstick as yours and I pulled close to 6 quarts out of my bike and the filters obviously had oil absorbed in them adding to the 6 quarts I had bottled up that came out.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I crawled under and everything is clean. The oil filter looks new.

I’m going to suction some out as recommended and get it closer to the second mark.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My bike was delivered with the oil level way over the top line just as yours was. I didn't discover it until the 500 mile mark and I kick myself for not checking it immediately. I tried using the top of a hand soap pump dispenser to remove the excess oil to no avail as I could not get the tube in far enough to pump out the oil. So I ended up dropping the oil filter and draining it 4 times to get the level between the lines where it belongs. I reckon it was nearly a quart high. When I told the dealer he showed no interest at all remarking that he'd tell the mechanics. I don't want those clowns to touch my bike ever again. :no:

·
Registered
360 Posts
They may have drained only one of the drain plugs, leaving extra oil in the crankcase. It’s the only bike that I know of that has more than one drain plug. Pretty easy mistake to make if you haven’t read the manual. I would expect this at bike shop, unless they do lots of oil changes on the new Wings....AND REMEMBER TO TELL THE NEW GUY ABOUT THE EXTRA DRAIN PLUGS.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
They may have drained only one of the drain plugs, leaving extra oil in the crankcase. It’s the only bike that I know of that has more than one drain plug. Pretty easy mistake to make if you haven’t read the manual. I would expect this at bike shop, unless they do lots of oil changes on the new Wings....AND REMEMBER TO TELL THE NEW GUY ABOUT THE EXTRA DRAIN PLUGS.
BMW K1600 has (2) oil drain bolts stacked on top of each other......need to remove one to get to the other.
A messy job at best......a forum member made/sells a "super-plug" so you don't drop the inner plug into the pan when removing it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Lots of bikes have screwy illogical oil check procedures. Of these, the 2007 Norge May have been the worst. The Moto Guzzi instructions were

1. Check it every day before riding.

2. Bring it up to full operating temperature.

3. Remove the Tupperware that covered the dip stick (a job that took 5 minutes with tools).

4. Check the level. Add oil if required.

5. Replace the Tupperware (another job for tools). And ride.

A Dutch company manufactured and sold a dip stick extender that allowed a very long dip stick to stick out from the Tupperware after you’d drilled a hole to accommodate it.

Another anecdote- I had a couple of G650Xmotos, and the last time I took one for annual service and a tire change (to BMW of Atlanta), they over filled it. I did not discover this by checking. I discovered it by riding. The bike felt sluggish, like there was extra damping on the 650 cc single.

I checked the oil because I’d seen this once before on a grossly overfilled CB125 single.

Sure enough. It was way over the top line.

I siphoned out the extra and measured it. It turned out to be .3 Liters. The fill with filter change was supposed to be 2.7. So ... where did the extra .3 come from? It’s pretty obvious that Minion #42 just dumped in 3 Liters.

I brought this to the attention of Bob (the owner and all around Good Guy). He apologized and comped me on my next oil change.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When I bought my Wing new it came way overfilled too. I had read about this being common before I bought mine so I knew to check it the night I brought her home. I simply cracked one of the drain plugs to let a bit of oil out, but I had to do it a few times because it had way more extra oil in than I expected. Took a long time to do it since checking the oil level on the new Wing is such a procedure. Mine was about a full quart overfilled.

Not sure why the dealers seem to overfill the Wings so often, but it certainly seems to happen a lot.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not sure why the dealers seem to overfill the Wings so often, but it certainly seems to happen a lot.
I don’t know about your dealer, but many only sell a few Gold Wings a year, and rarely see them for service.

I started as a crate unpacker and assembler (my first position at a dealership) in the 60’s.

There was no training. You had to have your own tools. If you damaged something, you’d likely be fired. The pay was $2.25/hr.

We drew oil from a barrel for the initial fill. We drew it in a galvanized pitcher with a flexible neck. So you had no one to blame but yourself for an overfill.

I wonder how it’s changed. Still entry level near minimum wage guys? I dunno...

From what I can tell, if a dealer has a good Gold Wing mechanic, he’s probably not assigned to oil changes, unpacking and assembly.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts

This would be my guess as well. There are THREE drain plugs on the DCT bikes, and you really have to pay attention to find all three of them. My guess would be that the mechanic overlooked one.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
The Honda single crank V-Twins (VTX, etc) have 2 drain bungs. One only drains a tiny bit.

prs

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Got a “free” oil change from my dealer. I checked after them and it is overfilled, well over 1 inch above top mark. I have a DCT model. Receipt shows 5 quarts used and I have to assume the tech poured the whole 5 in it instead of the ~4.9 called for. But being that high on the stick I wonder if he didn’t change the oil filter and/or DCT filter and it should have been 4.6. However, the oil on the stick looks clean.

I called them and they said, “it won’t hurt it”. I disagree.

What is easiest way to get some out? Drop one of the oil plugs into clean container and refill back? I don’t have any crush washers on hand. Or stick a tube through the dipstick hole and siphon out?

I checked it standing upright after shutting down for 2 minutes without screwing the dipstick down; only touched down.

Thoughts?

Edit: measured it and it is closer to 1” instead of 1.5”.
If you siphon it out, use the fill hole on the left side. I would drain the excess out of the rear most drain, keep upward pressure on it as the last thread releases and then tilt it slightly. Eyeball the amount you want to lose, then thread the bung back in. The crusher will be fine, use reasonable firm calibrated wrist torque.

prs

Reactions: MTShipp
1 - 18 of 18 Posts