GL1800Riders Forums banner

Dealer recommendations near Dayton

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Taddpole 
#1 ·
I finally picked up my first Wing yesterday. It only came with one key (and no fob). Can anyone recommend a dealer near Dayton for parts and service? I live in Beavercreek, if that matters.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
There's one in Troy, but I've never had any dealings with them, also one in Fairfield.
When I lived in Eaton I always took mine to Ike's Bikes in Richmond, In.
I live in Wapak now so I may have to try the one in Troy

#3 ·
I can’t help you with a dealer as I live over two hours away. But if you don’t still do that four letter word that starts with “W” and ends with “K”. Come and have lunch with us Wednesday at Capricorn Inn.

Reactions: JoeHall
#6 ·
Might check Ride 1 Powersports in Springfield (used to be Competition Accessories), and maybe Middletown Cycle.

What year Wing? If it's for an 1832cc model ('01-'17), you might be able to use a fob from a Honda car. I don't remember details, but I do remember reading threads on here about doing that. There are also many threads about having another key cut (just about anywhere that does keys) as long as you can get the right blank.

Start a thread on the General Message board and ask what Honda car fob to use and what key blank. The smart folks will be along really quick and tell you what you need.

#7 ·
grossie welcome to the wing world!

Several guys with wings around this area.

As Taddpole says, the smart guys will help you if you ask. (I'm not one of them, I'm more the manual labor help type guy)

Also be glad to meet up sometime for coffee or ??? and I'll try to bring Taddpole along to buy. (He is one of the smart ones)

If it's a 01-17 I got the blank for an extra key (many years ago) for my 2004 at Walmart. But I don't remember the key code.

grossie watch for a pm

#8 ·
Tried the closest blank at the local hardware store this morning, it opened the trunk, but would turn the ignition. I'll give Walmart a shot this week. Definitely interested in meeting for a coffee or something. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Ride1 is probably a decent option, but I had a bad experience with their service department with my VStar. I work about 20 min from Middletown, so that's a good option for me.

#10 ·
We use Powersports of Troy
1640 W. Main Street
Troy, OH 45373
Phone: 937-332-3440

Have used them for a few years now and always gotten good service from them. Recently had trouble when on an extended trip out west and called them quite a few times for advice and help locating a part. They were great about helping us out. Give them a try.

#14 · (Edited)
If all else fails, cycle max in valley city (near Medina oh) has the genuine honda 1800 key blanks for about $18

You can order from their website or call them. Great folks. Always helpful to me.

One fits 2001 -2010 models, and different keys fits 2012 - 2017 models. They have all three.

Edit: the keys for 2012-2017 cost more than the 2001-2010 models. Didn’t see that before.

Reactions: cycledude
#16 ·
Key Fob solved, Dealer visit scheduled

So, if anyone is curious, the $30 key fob on Amazon (search Goldwing key fob) works great. I had to go to their webpage and use the chat feature (to get the right directions). The person on the chat was very helpful and the remote works fine after a few tries to get it programmed.

Also, taking the 08 in to Powersports of Troy on Wednesday to check it out before my weekend trip on the 21st. They also have Honda blank keys and even suggested where to get it cut. There were also able to order new rubber pads for the OEM passenger floor boards (one was missing).

In addition, it's been better than Christmas. Seems like a delivery is showing up every day from Amazon or Revzilla or somewhere. :)

#17 ·
So, if anyone is curious, the $30 key fob on Amazon (search Goldwing key fob) works great. I had to go to their webpage and use the chat feature (to get the right directions). The person on the chat was very helpful and the remote works fine after a few tries to get it programmed.

Also, taking the 08 in to Powersports of Troy on Wednesday to check it out before my weekend trip on the 21st. They also have Honda blank keys and even suggested where to get it cut. There were also able to order new rubber pads for the OEM passenger floor boards (one was missing).

In addition, it's been better than Christmas. Seems like a delivery is showing up every day from Amazon or Revzilla or somewhere. :)

Wanna bet it was the left one missing? I've lost a couple of them. I came to the conclusion that carrying a passenger will do that. Most passengers step up with their left foot perpendicular to the line of the bike, and then pivot their foot as they sit down. This "loaded" pivot can cause the pad to come loose. It seems unnatural, but have your passenger place their left foot on the floor board parallel to the line of the bike when they get on - you probably won't loose another one very quickly.

Another thing you can do (Rube Goldberg) is to look at the bolts that hold the cover on the underside of the floor board on. The hole for the front one goes through. If you locate it properly, you can drill a small hole in the rubber pad, then insert a button-head screw (with washer) into that hole from the top. That will help keep the front of the rubber from coming up. You might need to shorten the bolt on the bottom to have room for the bolt from the top to thread in.

#18 ·
I lost a left side passenger rubber many years ago too. I bought a replacement rubber piece, but eventually installed Kury transformer passenger floorboards for mrs wahoo’s “Riding enjoyment” (and to end her complaining about sore leg muscles on higher mileage days) so the problem was eliminated for me.

I originally thought about glueing the rubber mat in place but was afraid I wouldn’t be able to easily remove it if it wore out.

#21 ·
Ben was very helpful. Ended up with a new front tire, clutch and brake fluids flushed and an oil change. Interestingly enough Ben said to stick with conventional oil if you have been running it (bike had 40k on it when I bought it) or synthentic would leak. Not quite sure of the logic behind that.

Also, Joe's Cycle Shop in Dayton was able to provide a blank and cut a spare key for $6.99. The tornado damage around Joe's was really bad. The guy I talked to said they just got a roof on the place a couple of weeks ago.

#23 ·
Grossie, just and FYI..... If you are mechanically inclined at all you may be interested in Fred H's DVD set. They show how to do a lot of stuff to the wing yourself. Also if you can find a place to change tires for you. You can save a lot by ordering on line and taking tire and rim into their shop. There are a bunch of good places to order tires and parts on line. I use Rocky Mountain ATV for some things because they have a store in Winchester KY and I get what I ordered the very next day. I just order Progressive Monotubes and a fork seal kit from Wing Stuff. If you need helmets or electronics: Real close to you in Troy is Sierra Electronics. They are supper to deal with and very helpful.

Angle Riders link to DVD set

http://www.angelridevideos.com/gl1800.html

Reactions: Bullet Bob
#22 ·
I’m no mechanic but I have stayed at a holiday inn express on a few occasions.

Every major oil manufacturer says it makes no difference and you can switch back and forth between dino and synthetic oils.

On the other hand, I have stuck with T5 for the past 75,000 miles (plus another 22,000 miles on the VStrom) so what do I know. >:)

#24 ·
Thanks for the info! i don't consider myself very mechanically inclined...but I do want to order Fred's DVDs. Definitely on the list of things I would like to get before spring. I did want to have a Honda dealer check the bike out, since I bought it from a dealer that did not have any Honda technicians.

I'm also planning on riding out to Sienna electronics and checking it out.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Keep it coming!

Boomer - I just checked the link you included. Looks like the DVDs are on sale. i may not wait until spring. I just have to figure out if I actually have anything still connected that plays DVDs! :)

Bob

#25 ·
Thanks for the info! i don't consider myself very mechanically inclined...but I do want to order Fred's DVDs. Definitely on the list of things I would like to get before spring. I did want to have a Honda dealer check the bike out, since I bought it from a dealer that did not have any Honda technicians.

I'm also planning on riding out to Sienna electronics and checking it out.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Keep it coming!

Boomer - I just checked the link you included. Looks like the DVDs are on sale. i may not wait until spring. I just have to figure out if I actually have anything still connected that plays DVDs! :)

Bob

IIRC, those DVDs are no longer being made, and once they're gone, they're gone (translated - don't wait until spring!). I have a set myself and they've more than paid for themselves (easily)!

You don't have to be a great mechanic to follow along with Fred - he (and his bare feet) does a great job in keeping it simple.

(If nothing else, the DVDs are good entertainment for cold winter nights.)

If your computer doesn't have a DVD drive, you can get an external DVD drive that plugs into a USB port for just a little money. Easy-peasy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.