GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a customer last week about a problem he had after a turn signal conversion kit had been installed. I just received a follow up from him and thought this was worth passing along. What was happening was the flashing on the signals got really fast. Told the customer the only thing that can cause it is removing of load or a bad flasher.

Lewis, I talked to you last week about a turn signal problem (signals
flash too fast) the dealer blamed the problem on your turn signal
conversion kit. You suggested that I check the flasher-circuit board. I
ordered one from directline. When I removed the instrument cluster to
replace it, I notice the black wire attached to the flasher pwb was
loose. (It attaches with a very small Phillips screw.) I tightened the
screw and everything works fine. As a side note the same dealer replaced
my speedo under warranty about 1 ½ years ago. I went back to the
dealer and he is checking on getting me a refund of my $208.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Anybody remember that "Teapot Dome Scandal" cartoon?

Bunch of politicians standing in a circle, with a pointed finger towards the politician standing next to him.

Honda Maintenance Quality is very low, across the board. And it would appear that either Mother Honda has no standard of training for it's franchised dealers, or, if they do, they don't enforce it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I've seen dealers blame it on anything they can.

That's because you didn't use Honda oil.
That's not a Honda exhaust.
Well, you replaced your seat...
What do you expect when you run aftermarket brake pads?
What's that; a trailer hitch?

Hey kid; you'll shoot your eye out!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Bulldog said:
Anybody remember that "Teapot Dome Scandal" cartoon?

Bunch of politicians standing in a circle, with a pointed finger towards the politician standing next to him.

Honda Maintenance Quality is very low, across the board. And it would appear that either Mother Honda has no standard of training for it's franchised dealers, or, if they do, they don't enforce it.

Bulldog
Oh Yeah!!! On the money.

I

·
0 Posts
Whatsamatter with you guys?

Whenever you modify a factory system with aftermarket parts, the manufacturer of that vehicle (car, motorcycle, or whatever) is not likely to honor repair of that system. You tell me why they should!

If you have a dealer install an aftermarket whatsamacallit, you are at the mercy of the dealer or the manufacturer of that component as to whether he will stand behind it if something goes wrong.

Obviously most of you have never been in the business of manufacturing and/or selling a product, and you don't have a clue.

Get serious gentlemen. Sometimes I wonder why some of you guys ride Hondas as much as you seem to love to bash them. Go get a Harley. :roll:

Ride safe. Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
IB,

I see you are your friendly happy self still.

Take a bare bones Honda, straight out of the box and the Wonderful Honda dealers will put you on the road with a qt low coolant, 1/2 down on final gear lube and 20 PSI in the tires.

You call this bashing or reality?

How many Honda Shops have you visited, (many I am sure) that have certified mechanics, that can diagnose and fix Goldwings?

I have owned a good deal of Harley's in my life. Though I no longer choose nor care for their products, their maintenance shops have always been better than any Honda shop that I have visited.

Whenever we are looking for controversy or a caustic remark, you are always there to oblige us. and we thank you for that.

Merry Christmas my Friend!

Bulldog

I

·
0 Posts
Bulldog said:
IB,

Take a bare bones Honda, straight out of the box and the Wonderful Honda dealers will put you on the road with a qt low coolant, 1/2 down on final gear lube and 20 PSI in the tires.

How many Honda Shops have you visited, (many I am sure) that have certified mechanics, that can diagnose and fix Goldwings?

I have owned a good deal of Harley's in my life. Though I no longer choose nor care for their products, their maintenance shops have always been better than any Honda shop that I have visited.

Whenever we are looking for controversy or a caustic remark, you are always there to oblige us. and we thank you for that.

Bulldog
Bulldog:

My remarks are only "caustic" to those who choose to read them as such. Some folks on these Boards are so cynical, it is truly amazing.

FWIW, my 02 1800 has been the most reliable and enjoyable motorcycle I have ever owned, and I know very few Honda riders who don't feel the same way. It has never been back to my dealer ( a very good one) for anything, except to mount a new front tire.

Is Honda perfect...heck no! Is their dealer network perfect?...nope. But for every complaint about Honda products or dealers, I could show you 10 about almost any competitive product, and you know it. How do you think Honda products in this country got to be where they are today? Real simple answer...quality, dependability, and service.

I don't work for Honda, I don't sell Hondas. I just get sick about hearing nothing but complaints and Honda bashing from a tiny minority on these Boards who seem to have nothing better to do than vent.

BTW, in case you or others think I am a complete Honda freak, we drive a Chevy Trailblazer and a Chrysler Sebring. :lol:

Happy Holidays...Ride safe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bulldog---You must have been lucky with the HD dealers, I got rid of my Harleys for 2 reasons :

1. Same old 1950's technology, have to spend $2000+ to make it keep up with everbody else.
And too much costly yearly maint.(and too much Loctite)

2. Dealers that could not put anything back together right, I was VERY DISATISFIED with thier poor ability & smart a$$ answers.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Reminds me of the time I put my airplane in the shop for a short behind the instrument panel. they took out two gauges and rewired one of them due to a "rubbed wire" that was shorting out. almost $400 bucks.

Two weeks later I noticed the other gauge they had taken out was shorting out. It would come on, go off, hit some turbulence and it would come on again etc. I put the plane back in the same shop. They gave me a bill for $48 bucks and actually wrote on it

" found loose wire, turned screw six times " and in the notes section they wrote "whomever installed the gauge left the wire loose"

when I protested that they had installed the gauge they acted like I was insulting them and demanded I pay the $48 bucks. I did and they never saw my plane again.

A year later I ran into the mechanic at an airport event and he wanted to know why " we don't get your business anymore" :shock: :roll:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IB- in this case, there was no way that installing our kit could cause the issue the customer was having. Did I mention there was no way?

When I did the troubleshooting with the customer, I told him to have the dealer contact me so we could discuss the issue....you wanna troubleshoot electronics, call me. You wanna troubleshoot an engine, don't call me. Guess who didn't call me. Most electronics are black and white and this dealer would not budge.

There is a reason we have the Magnuson Moss Act. Rather than truly research the problem for the customer, its easier to pass off the problem on the aftermarket....the same one that fixes the problems the OEMs create.

·
Registered
250 Posts
IBTrike said:
Bulldog said:
IB,

Bulldog
Bulldog:

My remarks are only "caustic" to those who choose to read them as such. Some folks on these Boards are so cynical, it is truly amazing.

FWIW, my 02 1800 has been the most reliable and enjoyable motorcycle I have ever owned, and I know very few Honda riders who don't feel the same way. It has never been back to my dealer ( a very good one) for anything, except to mount a new front tire.

Is Honda perfect...heck no! Is their dealer network perfect?...nope. But for every complaint about Honda products or dealers, I could show you 10 about almost any competitive product, and you know it. How do you think Honda products in this country got to be where they are today? Real simple answer...quality, dependability, and service.

I don't work for Honda, I don't sell Hondas. I just get sick about hearing nothing but complaints and Honda bashing from a tiny minority on these Boards who seem to have nothing better to do than vent.

BTW, in case you or others think I am a complete Honda freak, we drive a Chevy Trailblazer and a Chrysler Sebring. :lol:

Happy Holidays...Ride safe.

Sounds like a vent to me :D Pay close attention to the smile face.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Totally agree with Dawg here, The Complaint is with the dealers, not the actual bike. BTW I would never expect Honda or their dealers to honour a warranty issue that was "legitimately caused" by the addition of an aftermarket product. I don't think anyone here would either. Part of owning something is tailoring it to your own individual tastes, and this should not alter warranty coverages. Additionally dealers should not be able to just use this as their scapegoat for not covering warrantied repairs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Geez guys!

When I first read the original post, my first thought wasn't shoddy dealers, maintenance, blame, etc. It was that Lewis @ EC was providing service after the sale.

Thanks Lewis, I've always been happy w/ your products and your readiness to respond to any questions.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
magek said:
Geez guys!

When I first read the original post, my first thought wasn't shoddy dealers, maintenance, blame, etc. It was that Lewis @ EC was providing service after the sale.

Thanks Lewis, I've always been happy w/ your products and your readiness to respond to any questions.
Couldn't agree more.
BTW IB, all this venom tward people who modify their bikes?
You don't even own a Honda. You ride a trike, don't you???

·
Registered
256 Posts
Working in the automotive repair industry, 30+ years with Ford, I have seen a lot of add-on stuff. We have to be able to prove that the add-on component caused a failure before dening the warranty claim. The claim has to stand up in court. So unless it it very obvious, we'll fix it. The same should be true for Honda. You just need to hold their feet to the fire.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Dragonryder said:
Working in the automotive repair industry, 30+ years with Ford, I have seen a lot of add-on stuff. We have to be able to prove that the add-on component caused a failure before dening the warranty claim. The claim has to stand up in court. So unless it it very obvious, we'll fix it.
How do you guys feel about turbos added to the 2.3L engines? Or cold air, superchargers, or underpulleys?
I have an Mz3 and it's just a bit too slow. I'll just run a modest 5-7 lbs of boost...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Dragonryder said:
Working in the automotive repair industry, 30+ years with Ford, I have seen a lot of add-on stuff. We have to be able to prove that the add-on component caused a failure before dening the warranty claim. The claim has to stand up in court. So unless it it very obvious, we'll fix it.
How do you guys feel about turbos added to the 2.3L engines? Or cold air, superchargers, or underpulleys?
I have an Mz3 and it's just a bit too slow. I'll just run a modest 5-7 lbs of boost...
Coming from the same industry, I'd have to say that they would still have to warrenty electric windows when they fail.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
IB, Look at THIS situation. The dealer was wrong, and Lewis and the customer were correct. You gotta take it at face value.

If you know or appear to know so much about qaulity, why are driving 2 of the most unreliable, most depreciated vehicles ever produced? The Trailblazer is the most unreliable car GM produces, pure fact. I am very suprised YOu dont ride a Harley since you are so used to subpar qaulity.

Merry Xmas.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When unsure, take it out on a Harley

Good discussion, and a good reflection on Lewis E/C. I've dealt with Lewis and am not surprised that this product was NOT* the cause.

Just a few HD facts:
1) HDs of the 70s and 80s were poor quality. They have improved significantly, and the 2007 models are awesome, with every past problem corrected. BTW, if you have lots of money, they will install an 1800+ccs engine.

2) HD has been declared to be one of the best marketing companies in the world. HD out-sold Honda this year. Its been back and forth in earlier years.

3) Conversely, Honda GL models were outstanding for the 1100, 1200 and 1500. I owned a couple of them.

4) The Honda early 1800s did not have good quality. However, having an outstanding Honda dealer a mile away, made it bearable.

I only post this point of view due to the eronious slams against Harleys which aren't in step with the high standards of Wingers.

My GL1800 is my bike of choice for any long rides, but I must admit, the Harley is fun to ride.

*Opps, I left out the most important word of that sentence. My appology.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts