GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else noticed their favorite dealer not stocking Goldwing stuff anymore? When I first got my new 2019 trike my first rides were to all my favorite dealers around me to look at all the goodies, there were none to look at! One dealer even told me they are selling mostly those side-by-side buggies and they are stocking all the accessories for those now and the bike stuff is order only. Out of 5 dealers around me only one had a decent supply but noting I wanted in stock.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Dealers are supporting those that buy things from them.

They'll sell three or four SXS to every motorcycle they sell. Easy.

Now, step into that general manager's position. Limited supply of shelf space - what are you buying to *not* sit for a long time on that shelf?

Internet shopping has hurt many dealers just for this reason.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Dealers are nothing more than warranty service centers. When the manufactures step up and allow independent service centers to conduct warranty service, dealers will disappear. There’s really no other use for them.

Look at at the Tesla business model.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Internet has put hurting on brick and mortar stores. Quite a conundrum, they cant compete with internet prices so no one buys it if they stock them, and no one is willing to let the dealer order it for them when they can do that for themselves at a lower cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
When we travel and I see a Honda Dealer pop up on my NAVI, I'll usually hit the CB and say "Hey, there's a dealer a couple miles ahead." "Wanna stop and look around?" "Sure!"

Rarely do they have any GoldWing accessories. I think the only time we really hit any kind of Jackpot was a dealer in Denver. They had parts and some fashion as well. On our last trip we stopped at one in Canada and they had a lot of Joe Rocket stuff so we were hopeful, but they had only 3 GoldWing jackets. All too small, of course.

Last year we went through Oregon, San Fran, Lake Tahoe, etc. and I decided to cave and get a cup holder. We stopped at a bunch of dealerships and nobody had one. My friend needed a new rear tire and we were lucky to finally find a dealer who had an Elite 4 - but they couldn't change it. They did agree if we removed the wheel and brought it in, they'd mount the tire. So we went to a dirt lot next door, laid it down and removed the wheel. He paid dearly for that tire too!! Could get a set for that price!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dealers are nothing more than warranty service centers. When the manufactures step up and allow independent service centers to conduct warranty service, dealers will disappear. There’s really no other use for them.
Um... where you gonna buy the bike from then?

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Tesla really doesn't seem to have an issue with this - mostly.

The Tesla model...a showroom that has samples only.

Yours is delivered in three weeks or so, then the paperwork is completed. Then, you ride away.

Serious buyers will accept that process, 'lookie-loos' will be directed back to the showroom.

Appointments are made on-line for dealer service issues to a more centralized location. That becomes the convenience that disappears in this marketing method.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Like kwthorn states; Tesla is an excellent business model for today's vehicle market. Honda of Russellville and a few other dealers are working successfully, as best they can, to mimic this business model within the terms of their franchise agreements and existing state laws. Essentially what it comes down to is; if your local dealer can't or won't provide "service after the sale" (which includes parts availability and competitive pricing) the only real differentiators between them and a dealer who is copying the Tesla/Honda of Russellville models are distance and the OTD price of a new bike. That is (or should be) an easy calculation for any business to make . . . if they have profit as their primary objective and don't let their ego's get in their way.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
When we travel and I see a Honda Dealer pop up on my NAVI, I'll usually hit the CB and say "Hey, there's a dealer a couple miles ahead." "Wanna stop and look around?" "Sure!"

Rarely do they have any GoldWing accessories. I think the only time we really hit any kind of Jackpot was a dealer in Denver. They had parts and some fashion as well. On our last trip we stopped at one in Canada and they had a lot of Joe Rocket stuff so we were hopeful, but they had only 3 GoldWing jackets. All too small, of course.

Last year we went through Oregon, San Fran, Lake Tahoe, etc. and I decided to cave and get a cup holder. We stopped at a bunch of dealerships and nobody had one. My friend needed a new rear tire and we were lucky to finally find a dealer who had an Elite 4 - but they couldn't change it. They did agree if we removed the wheel and brought it in, they'd mount the tire. So we went to a dirt lot next door, laid it down and removed the wheel. He paid dearly for that tire too!! Could get a set for that price!
I hear they have great prices on extended warranties......:grin2:

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
8,307 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Dealers

When I was in a Honda dealership in Kansas City, they did not have either gear or bikes for touring riders. They did mostly 4 wheelers. The local independent shop that has some gear charges exceedingly high prices for most things. They are primarily a sport bike shop. I have purchased a jacket there for my wife and AStar gloves for myself and for both of those items their prices were within 10% of the online prices I had found. I tried to buy an Arai helmet from them but they were not interested in ordering one for me. I tried to buy a tire from the shop, but they wanted $235 for a G709 and then wanted $50 to mount it for me after I bought it from them. If I did not buy it for me, they would not mount and balance it period. I also tried to get spark plugs from them once and he wanted $8 / plug. I told him that was too high and ordered a set from Amazon.

IMO, shops can do all right if they provide good service and decent prices. However, they have to do some work to keep their volume up or their inventory will get stale on the shelf. Many shops are supplementing their local sales with Internet sales just to keep their stock moving.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Used to be that dealership shops made good money on parts and you had few options as to where else to buy them. Aftermarket and online markets have changed that drastically. I've usually made the first attempt to buy parts at my local (only a couple miles away from home) Honda/Yamaha/Polaris/Ski-Doo/Can Am dealership. If they have/had the part(s) and were anywhere in the ballpark pricewise I was or would be happy to get it instantly and help support the local business. However, usually for the ST1300 (which was granted to be a bit uncommon) and now the GL1800, few parts in stock. "We can order that for you and it will be here in a couple days" is the typical reply. To which I respond, "I can do that, too". And the parts guy understands and has always been friendly and helpful but that doesn't put cash in his till drawer either.
I would probably have a lot better success asking for parts to my Polaris 500 Sportsman since ATV/UTV and SxS sales seem to be busy, but haven't had the need yet.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
My Honda dealer had some stuff, the basic supplies ect, but they were downright rediculous on pricing, around 3 times full list price on oil, antifreeze ect, and I suspect most everything else was likewise. I want to support local business as much as anyone, but won't buy into greed. Luckily for them, they closed the doors and sold the building for $2,000,000 to be torn down and build another 300 unit apartment building to compliment the other 1500 ones popping up on every parcel of land here, so they no longer need to be competitive with internet sales.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Luckily for them, they closed the doors and sold the building for $2,000,000 to be torn down and build another 300 unit apartment building to compliment the other 1500 ones popping up on every parcel of land here, so they no longer need to be competitive with internet sales.
Agreed, there is some *serious* growth going on in Denver, CO. Same thing going on here in Denver, NC and the whole Charlotte region.

But, coming from NY where everything is shrinking and collapsing, I'll take the growth and the opportunity that comes with it.

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
Has anybody else noticed their favorite dealer not stocking Goldwing stuff anymore?
Major chains like Best Buy are hardly stocking stuff. If they do, they have 1.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Most any Honda m/c store you visit has three brands of m/c's, then four wheelers, wave runners, generators, etc......No way they can stock parts, just call some warehouse and most of the time overnight the part. Harley may be the exception, they only sell Harley's and a HD wear stuff.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have several dealerships within about 2 hours or less of our home. One has a great selection of bikes, the others less selection/stock but still quite good.
The all have an excellent selection of helmets (on & off road types) and a good selection of off road apparel. Not nearly as much road/cruiser apparel.
If I go to Honda of Knoxville (nice folks by the way and closest) and order a part I have to pay a separate shipping fee to have it sent to my home by the dealership after it is shipped to the dealership itself.
This is NOT the dealers requirement, it apparently is the Honda requirement.
So If I order a part/accessory I can:
1. Order from the dealership by phone, then drive 90 minutes (one way) to pick up the part and then drive 90 minutes back home.
2. Drive 90 minutes to the dealership, order the part, drive 90 minutes back home. When the part arrives drive 90 minutes back to the dealership, pick up the part and then drive 90 minutes back home.
At best it is 3 hours to order and pick up (for example) a left side headlight adjust/air suspension panel for my 'Wing.
My opinion: The dealership wants to provide selection and service but "online" ordering and the manufacturers themselves are working against that. I wonder how long before there are few or no actual dealerships and we simple order our bikes online and have them trucked to our homes. Luckily at my age I'll be in a cremains jar before that happens.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts