GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us deal with sales at a Honda dealerships when we're buying new or used.
Sometimes it's not always pleasant, but cycle sales is similar to cars sales, we what to get a good deal when spending that much cash.

Which brings me to Honda service and I always wondered why 60% of riders I know have their own horror story's, and ask, why is that?

We get to point of any service, (plumbers, electricians, medical) that we pay dearly and learn to trust, but Honda service wrenches are not one of them.

I do try to save some money on basic oil changes, watch my tire psi, and wear.
I haven't tackled, or have the tools, service manual, or the know how for in-depth maintenance at 78 yrs old.

How did this negative service from a great Company like Honda on such a great cycle get so bad?

I'm on my 2nd. Goldwing, and I can knock on wood and don't have any bad/horror story's to pass on even trying various dealerships.

P.S. I you have the know-how, feel comfortable working on your ride, GREAT, and please move next door to do my service next time. :yes:

Cheers!

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Yea, I have heard of the stories and actually been the recipient of one of those stories with the purchase of my 2018 GL1833 Tour DCT. It had to do with being the guinea pig at the dealership I made the purchase. Guinea pig you say? Yes, I had many accessories to install which I elected to have the service department do. Had I know @ that time they didn't have a Service Manual for the tech doing the installations other than PDF's 1st run quality for the new GW1833 I would have held off. Oh well after dealing with Maw Honda out in California all was made whole eventually.

I since have purchased a Honda Service Manual, did the 1st service myself. Also purchased Fred Harmons DIY videos and have not looked back. Additional farkles added and installed by myself. Also added an MC lift as I'm no spring chicken and cant tolerate rolling around on the concrete working on the Wing. I will do all the work possible will my wrenching skills and the videos provided by Fred H. The savings just roll over into my piggy bank and self-satisfaction of doing the work my self, knowing it's done right the first time. I'll stay away from the dealerships aka stealerships unless I can't get parts from online or its time to trade or purchase another GW.:)

Reactions: GWilly

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Agree

If I lived in FL and needed something done that I couldn’t or didn’t want to do, I would take it to Goldwingrgreg. No question.
:agree:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I change my own oil, and wash the Wing myself but that's it. Too many complicated parts that involve safety or reliability that stretch my competence.
But I did have what could have been a near death experience that was the fault of either an independent mechanic I've used a number of times or was the fault of the local dealer. No way to prove who it was as both had worked on it.
A front brake caliper broke off just as I was preparing to hit the road. Fortunately it happened in a parking lot. The dealer that repaired it said that someone who had recently worked on the front end had left off the retainer clip.
I don't go near the independent guy anymore. Next time I need work done that I can't do I'll trust the dealer, maybe.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
My last service at a Honda dealer was great. Quick and well done and a reasonable price. Because I waiting until later in the year, my fork rebuild was $150 cheaper and was done fast.That said, other dealers in town are less stellar. When I rode a C-10 Concours, I mentioned a horror story that nearly destroyed my machine from dealer incompetence. The Kawasaki rep was on the mailing list for COG and other people mentioned problems with that dealer and one was going to buy a bike from them and passed because of it. The dealer eventually lost his franchise and is now selling mostly ATVs and water bikes.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all :) Hopefully the OP will discover me too.
Ok Greg, do you care if I give you a call when I need my next maintenance?
Your a little over a hour away, and I'm sure from other riders it will be worth the ride.
I live up here close the the villages.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Ok Greg, do you care if I give you a call when I need my next maintenance?
Your a little over a hour away, and I'm sure from other riders it will be worth the ride.
I live up here close the the villages.
For a GW rider, that make you very close. When you are ready, please call.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it is mechanical, it will break

somewhere along the line.
there are horror stories for every mechanical thing out there....cars, trucks, tractors, combines, water heaters, washer, etc.

But there are some great stories too....how come we never hear about those? Do we not listen, or just don't remember the good?
Perhaps I am merely lucky....the dealer I use for service when necessary is Niehaus Cycles in Litchfield. They have always done right by me, and the quality of the work has been good. It is about a 2 hour ride to their place. I take it to them instead of the local dealer as they have technicians that know Goldwings.

I do have the tools and the Fred Harmon CD set....but I do not always have the time.
Luckily, I have not had any computer related problems....those are the ones that will drive everyone right up a tree.
And, FWIW, I have goofed up a couple of repairs over the years, and had to take something back apart and fix it again, or pay extra to have the mechanic fix my mistake....

If I had a good independent tech close by, I would be willing to look at them.

YMMV.
cheers
bryon

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Dealers of all brands can have problems if they don’t realize that service, parts and accessories are a prime source of income. Too many dealers look at that part of their dealership as an expense not the area that brings customers back. I have had my wing serviced at two dealers one because it was close to my house and the other because it came with the sale. In the future my bike will go to an independent for anything that I can’t do my self.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too many dealers look at that part of their dealership as an expense not the area that brings customers back.
If riders would choose to work less on their riders, that would increase traffic into service centers, but then again, some here have been wrenching on bikes before discovering they could pee standing up.

That's why truck/car service dealerships are busy, to many hi-tech components that need special tools and know how.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If riders would choose to work less on their riders, that would increase traffic into service centers, but then again, some here have been wrenching on bikes before discovering they could pee standing up.

That's why truck/car service dealerships are busy, to many hi-tech components that need special tools and know how.

I've found cars and pickups are actually easier to work on now with the OBD II system to help me track down a problem. Add it to my stethoscope, volt/ohm meter and experience, I fix most of the problems on my older stuff. My last 4 wheeler I bought was a '02 Dodge pickup for $500. Prior to that, I paid $1000 for a nice Impala. I'm still driving both of them today. Ditto for a Cadillac Escalade I swapped for last year. People just think new cars are hard to work on. The car companies are always saying that. I was taught to be a mechanic, not a technician.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Add it to my stethoscope, volt/ohm meter and experience,
I don't think most who want to do their own wrenching, have these laying around.

I was taught to be a mechanic, not a technician.
With all the computer components in new vehicles today, I think the term "technician" is taking the place of "mechanic"

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
You know, we hear so much about the things that go wrong, but whenever things go RIGHT, it doesn't raise any kind of a comment at all...usually. It's the bad things that everyone has something bad to say about the dealer service departments. I personally have NOT had those kinds of experiences, and the rare occasions that I DID take it to the dealer, I was satisfied with the outcome. I seriously can not say that I have something bad to bring forth. It's human nature to concentrate on the bad and complaining is too easy.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know, we hear so much about the things that go wrong, but whenever things go RIGHT, it doesn't raise any kind of a comment at all...usually. It's the bad things that everyone has something bad to say about the dealer service departments. I personally have NOT had those kinds of experiences, and the rare occasions that I DID take it to the dealer, I was satisfied with the outcome. I seriously can not say that I have something bad to bring forth. It's human nature to concentrate on the bad and complaining is too easy.

WELL SAID......:thumbup: :agree:
:yes:

I'm also one that has very limited mechanical knowledge besides oil changes, tire maintenance etc. and the space and tools.

Common sense in choosing a good honest service Dept has to be taken.

Since I own my first Goldwing back in '03, I always ignored most negative story's about cycle service centers,
and yes, we know bad ones are out there, but there are also steps/precautions that we can take.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Better than factory . Would be me only choice. And I live in Ohio:thumbup:
I might go in for my hundred thousand mile checkup. While I’m there, I’ll get one for the bike too.:grin2:

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm amazed when I come here to read about the number of riders that do work on their bikes
instead of using a dealership.

Most of these riders I suppose started out working on dirt bikes before they discovered girls.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts