GL1800Riders Forums banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
In the 21-years of existence of this forum…….this pretty much tops every other dealer story I’ve ever heard.

Nice clean hole though….. :oops:
Any Trike installer might have take-offs available just lying around.
I would just say to everyone to check to see if you can open your Saddlebag with your key. You might be surprised if you can't open your saddlebag!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Problem is that Honda doesn't guarantee that replacement panels have to match. I know because I raised the roof back in 92 when they didn't. After a year of trouble I started asking for bosses of bosses. Everything got solved then. 3 months later I walked into my dealer and he took me over to his desk and showed me the fine print on the new sales contract. "Honda doesn't guarantee exact color match on replacement panels". He told me Honda told him to show me and say that's because of you!
So even if the dealer puts a new cover on it and it doesn't match because that is a candy paint job (silver metal flake base and tinted clear coat) and depending on how much tinted clear was put on or the speed was faster or slower... it can be different. Only solution if it doesn't match is for a good local shop to match it.
So OP, you better have this discussion with the dealer now... if it doesn't match... then what is plan B. As stated above this isn't a warranty problem and if he tries to point to the small print you need to state that doesn't cover this situation. Find a good competent paint shop that can do it now so it can go to whom you suggest if it doesn't match... because I am certain the dealer hasn't thought about a contingency plan... nor want to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Doesn't really matter if you told a dealer it was an emergency.

I could roll into any dealer in the land and say 'I have an extreme emergency. My kid just got falsely arrested for murder and my wife is in labour with our third.....I absolutely HAVE to get home but my tire is leaking air so bad I can't ride more than a quarter mile without adding air. Please put new tires on so I can get there.' Even though I said all this to that dealer......it still does NOT give the dealer license to use a hacksaw to cut off my forks in order to change that tire. What's worse....they know that.

I don't care that Otis The Moron Hillbilly Wrencher forgot and left all his tools save for his 12lb sledge at home ...it still does not mean he can use that on every bike he works on today.

If that is their only excuse....he'd be laughed out of court in the middle of opening statements.

Don't let them snow you. Clearly, the last thing the clown said before he did it was..."Hey Jim Bob, watch this".

That call to your attorney is becoming more and more important by the minute.

.....sT

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
In NY, if you see a pet in distress in a locked car, you are OK with smashing a window. No charges will be made. Same with a child.
Different jurisdictions have different rules. We once saw a small dog locked in a car on a 90º day. The dog didn't respond to beating on the window. We called 911 and was told that unless it was a child, we would be liable for damage. They dispatched an officer who showed up 10 minutes later just as the owner was returning to the car and told the officer he was only in the store for 10 minutes. We were standing there for over 20 minutes and who knows how long it actually was. The officer did lay into the owner, but I don't think it did any good.
Seems the law doesn't consider an animal a life and death emergency.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sorry you have to go through this ordeal.
The dealership shouldn't have to wait for Honda to approve it for warranty, because if Honda denies it the dealership is still liable for the fix. I am guessing they are hoping warranty covers it.
Keep us updated and once again, sorry you have to go through this!

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,882 Posts
I can see Honda reimbursing a dealer warranty claim for a faulty lock mechanism, but unless Honda gave prior approval, I can't see Honda reimbursing a dealer warranty claim for a saddlebag that was deliberately damaged. Without prior approval, the dealer 's report trying to justify warranty coverage would be interesting reading requiring Nobel-prize-level creative writing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I'd bet money on it.
WHY did you leave it there?? They have no right to keep your bike ,just because they made a hole in the plastic. Duct tape will do to cover it, until they can replace the door.

Someone at that Dealer needs a fire lit under them.
You posted this issue on. may 7th. Parts should of been order the same day.

Them cutting a unauthorized hole in the saddlebag door IS NOT A Honda Warranty issue!!.
The Dealer owns that Blunder!!

I Highly Doubt Honda Techline told them clowns to use a hole saw on your door without YOUR Permission!!

Where is Paul Harvey when ya need him??.

Name Names. What is the Name of this Dealer??
I tried to retrieve the bike, but it is pointless at this time, because the Saddlebag wont stay shut now. The latch on the door is gone. It was right where the hole is.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Service is waiting for approval from Honda to order parts.
If the service advisor/manager told you this, it is as crazy as the technician taking a hole saw to it. THEY destroyed the parts and now they're WAITING on APPROVAL to order them??? WTH???

If you haven't bumped this to Honda Corporate already, what are you waiting for?

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
759 Posts
I appreciate hearing this! I haven't been able to open my left side saddlebag for 18 months! 2013 F6B, manual key lock. To get to the lock mechanism, the bag must be open. I'm ready to do about anything to get my stuff out and sell the bike. Where exactly did he drill the hole? I will put my sledge away!
See Post 89.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,882 Posts
I tried to retrieve the bike, but it is pointless at this time, because the Saddlebag wont stay shut now. The latch on the door is gone. It was right where the hole is.
You could tape it shut with some clear packing tape, or if the looks of that don't appeal, maybe some self-stick velcro tape on the inside would hold the lid closed.

The big question is, What will the dealer do If Honda won't approve the warranty claim? Will the dealer pay for repairs? Because unless Honda gave prior approval for that surgery, it will be a surprise if Honda approves deliberate damage as warrantable.

How the dealer answers the above question is why there might be a lawyer or Small Claims Court suit in your future. This is a warning flag. Beware of the dealer dragging this out too long.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Honda should have kept the old style opening system for emergencies. Push a button in the trunk.
Some of the new trucks with pushbutton tailgates are the same way. No key lock. Can't open them if the electric latch fails.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
768 Posts
I know someone here mentioned that you could possibly remove the left side cover by flexing it (severely). I got to thinking, if this happened to me (flat bike battery and the mechanical key didn't work), I think I'd have a go at busting out the side cover so I could jump/charge the battery.

I did a quick estimate of the costs involved...

Left Saddlebag parts as a result of hole saw drilling...
LID SET, L. SADDLEBAG (TYPE1) (WL)
81420-MKC-A30ZA $694.66
INNER LID, L. SADDLEBAG
81441-MKC-A00 $201.07
RUBBER, SADDLEBAG LID SEAL
81350-MKC-A00 $41.78

Total $937.50 plus a heap of labor

Left side cover parts (inner and outer)...
COVER A, L. SIDE (TYPE1)
83710-MKC-A00ZE $77.63
COVER B, L. SIDE
83712-MKC-A00
$106.30

Total $183.93 virtually no labor

Of course if it is some electrical failure other than the battery, I guess you're in trouble. In that case I'd start by going underneath and using pliers or a die grinder to remove the three philips head retaining screws and removing the hinge pins. That might not get you fully open but I'd try anything before the hole saw.

Anyway, what's done is done and I hope the OP gets it fixed soon.

As mentioned before, everyone should check their emergency key actually works. Many bikes need the rod in the latch mechanism adjusted slightly to ensure it fully releases the front catch. It's an easy job while you can get in there using the electrics.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
768 Posts
BTW, it's just four screws to drop down the latch assembly from inside the saddlebag. The long silver rod shown here is the one you need to adjust.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Gas Automotive exterior

What looks like a thread at the left end - isn't. You need to unclip that end and move it one or two "threads" until it works correctly. The key only pulls the cable a short distance - enough to release the rear catch (to which it's attached). But any lost motion into that rod will fail to release the front one.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
596 Posts
I have removed a saddle bag lid when was stuck shut due to a misadjusted latch assembly
It is not easy nor fast but is possible.
If you aren’t dealing with a mis adjustment do the left side saddlebag so you can access both saddlebads and trunk with just the manual pulls.

Use long needle nose pliers with a bend, the thinner the better. I used Vice Grip long needle nose with a bend.

Turn and remove the three screws holding the hinge pins in place. The rear screw is a PITA.

Remove all three screws

After the screws are removed, pull the rear pin first, then the front pin, then the middle pin last.

Once the pins were out, the latches did release with just a gentle tug.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts