GL1800Riders Forums banner

Dealership Won't Work on Ten Year Old Motorcycle

7K views 89 replies 61 participants last post by  Twyn2 
#1 ·
I continue to hear stories about dealerships refusing to work on older models (more than ten years old).

I'm wondering how common this is.

Certainly lots of Goldwings that are older than ten years and still on the road. Has anyone had this happen?

#3 ·
I have also heard those stories and never had a problem. What I did have a problem with was the cost. I found an independent Mechanic who works out of his garage and he gets all of my work now.

#7 · (Edited)
If I can say/do this (admins obviously delete if need be), I learned within two weeks of owning my first Wing back in 2006 that it was not that I could not find someone to work on it...it was that I did not trust them to do so. Great TRUE Story regarding that. I quickly found this site and Fred Harmon's CD's. While you might need to put up with seeing his bare feet from time to time (I was a bit emotional about that at first), there basically has not been much that I have not been able to do in fixing, repairing, and maintaining things on the bike. Just recently a good buddy of mine and I replaced the clutch, without taking the motor out, on my 2014. I was not a bike mechanic when I got into this, but feel comfortable now with doing most anything. If there is a problem, it's my fault.

#9 · (Edited)
The fully burdened hourly rates are definitely an issue but trust is big deal as well.

There are cases where the GL1800 is older than the dealership's mechanic.

As far as the bare feet, I couldn't believe it myself. But we'll buy DVDs so he can buy shoes.

#8 ·
I continue to hear stories about dealerships refusing to work on older models (more than ten years old).

Certainly lots of Goldwings that are older than ten years and still on the road. Has anyone had this happen?
My local dealerships bread and butter are GL-1800s. Any year. Seems like sales for GEN 6 machines have been slow due to inventory and pricing. Per the service manager during a recent conversation.

#11 ·
It's independent dealership choice, I believe.

I bought my 1st Goldwing, a 2005 with @75K, when we lived in El Mirage.

I found a local shop who were more than happy to work in my bike.

In fact, I never took my bike's to dealership to work on my bike's.

Right now, on my 2nd bike a 2007, I take it to an independent ship which was recommended to me buy another member from yhis forum...Thanks, Steve!🫡

I do me utmost best to keep AWAY from stealership.

#14 · (Edited)
I am fairly new to the Wing world and don’t know of any Indy shops or mechanics locally here in Albuquerque. Plenty of Harley Indy shops though.
The local dealership did my 32k service on my 08 a few weeks ago. Since I have only had this bike for 20 months, and new to the GoldWing family, I wanted a thorough inspection and service with a paper trail. They replaced all the fluids, and a bunch of other stuff. The mechanic said that the coolant looked old, so he flushed the system. He also found a worn clutch lever bushing which I wouldn’t have checked myself. The service manager said the bike is in excellent condition. It was a bit of a relief since I took a gamble on an older used GoldWing without knowing much about them, other than I always liked them from what I saw and heard. I’ll do all the routine maintenance going forward. (I have done several engine and one final drive oil change since I bought the bike)

#15 ·
Maybe I'm lucky ? I've been with Des Plaines Honda in Des Plaines IL since about 2006. They moved and renamed themselves DSP Honda in Barrington, IL.
They work on my 2005 many times, the most recent, I needed the Front Forks rebuilt and I asked for them to change all the fluids while it's there. Maybe it's a simple job, but I've never had any complaint.
I believe it was over 10 years old when they did my air filter change...probably around 2016 or 17. IMHO, they have what I believe to be the best Goldwing Techs in the Chicago Land area.

#16 ·
One of the reasons I'm looking at replacing my '99 Kawi Nomad and buy a Wing this fall is because two dealerships have told me that they don't want to work on bikes older than ten years. The dealerships were ProCaliber in Vancouver, WA and Honda/Kawi of Medford, OR. The problem is that I won't be able to afford a bike that is less than ten years old, so I'll still be out of luck.

I've been learning some wrenching on Scarlett, my Nomad, and I'll be sure to pick up Fred's video since so many have given them rave reviews.

#17 ·
Perhaps I am simply blessed...
I have a GREAT dealership I can take my bike to when I feel it is necessary.... Niehaus Cycle in Litchfield, IL
it is a bit of a drive to get there, but they have worked on all the Goldwings I have had without question.
My 08 is there and ready to be picked up now. Waiting on knee to heal to be able to go get it.

I will grant that not all dealerships are the same, but constantly berating them is probably not helpful.
there are no independent shops I am aware of within 100 miles that are set up to work on Goldwings
It may all be a 'here' thing, but this has been my experience for over 20 years.

bryon

#19 · (Edited)
This is shameful behavior they will sell that 10 year old motorcycle with no problem when they get them on trade… this is nothing more than American greed in my opinion. Means to selling you a new bike… I Don’t buy the liability song and dance either… the difference between a 2017 and a 2006 nominal so they will work on a 2014,15,16,17 …….Just my opinion of course…

#21 ·
The only problem I have has was getting a new tire on my trike because they said they did not work on them. So I took the front wheel off and took it to them. Then they said the Avon AV91 trike tire would not fit.
So I went to another dealer.

#24 ·

Did they try to sell you a new bike? If I keep your old bike running ($150.00 per hour for labor) how am I going to get you to buy a new one? That being said if you won't repair one of your products, don't hold your breath on me buying new one.

#25 ·
There was someone I once bowled with that had two FJR's of different years (5-6 year separation maybe) that always took his bikes to the dealer for all work when maintenance schedule said it was time. One day, his older one was due for a major checkup and it had just hit that "older than 10 years" mark and they refused. He reminded them that he has always brought in his bikes that he bought there in for service and that he also had a newer one that they would never see again for any service for refusing this service need. They then decided to do the work. As long as getting service related parts is not an issue, they should not refuse work. I can also see a bit of a problem where the mechanics have never worked on models so old and need to learn as they go on the older ones; but there is an easy fix for that needed learn as you go time. Add a small percentage to labor (2-5% would be respectable) to deal with slower work progress. Also, having soft copy versions of the service manuals eliminates any excuse of "we tossed out all of the maintenance books for those models".

#26 ·
I worked for a dealer that had the “We don’t work on bikes older than 10 years” policy but it actually came down to a judgement call of the service writer. If we had a relationship with the owner and knew the owner and bike’s history it was likely he wouldn’t get turned away unless he was a jerk or an unfriendly disrespectful sort. Unfortunately there are people like that. Even a first time customer might get in if the bike looked in good overall shape, was unmolested/modified by previous owners, and the service was simple like an oil change and it wasn’t a model covered in a plastic fairing. Over time fairing parts and other plastic parts on weathered bikes get brittle and possibly unavailable from Honda. Who wants that liability? Even our experienced techs (10+ one and 20+ years) might crack a piece during R & R and the owner naturally would expect the dealer to make it right. Wiring gets brittle and fittings get corrosion, switches can break, etc. Bikes with electrical problems can easily turn into a money pit that the owner walks away from when the diagnostic time adds up. Lots of reasons.

For my own curiosity I googled if car dealerships would work on 10 year vehicles and the same policy exists over there. Like motorcycles it’s not a universal policy by dealer or brand. Some will and some won’t.

#28 ·
Thanks for the intelligent, and insightful view. Most repair shops are NOT blessed with experienced techs so the arbitrary 10 year cut-off keeps the young boys in back working on quick turnover wrenching. Anything requiring in-depth experience, or undue labor time is dismissed -- it's just not profitable for corporate dealerships. Liability is more than just handling brittle Tupperware. It goes to making an old dinosaur road worthy. No conspiracy. No animus. Just the way of the world today. That's what happens when you build a durable product.

#32 ·
IMO, Dealers are for warranty work. After that, most things do not require Dealer knowledge, overhead, and profits. If you are not one that does basic maintenance, find a decent m/c garage mechanic, most things are relatively easy. As far as electronics, anyone can plug a new electronic in, it's not like they troubleshoot a board, lol.

#33 ·
Amen, I never get the obsession with taking bikes and or cars to dealers. The only time my vehicles go to the dealer is for warranty or recalls. I say this as my son was a Mercedes and Ford tech for years. He would admit, the charge far more for work than needs and he would go to an indy shop. He finally got tired of the push to pad the bills with unneeded charges he left to work for a independent shop and is now a partner.
Find a good independent shop. You will get better service for less money. Or better yet, learn to service it yourself.

#34 ·
I work on a lot of older motorcycles and I know why the dealers won't. Many bikes are neglected.
When changing rear brake pads turns into a caliper and master cylinder rebuild and the customer thinks that they're being cheated because of the added charges. Rusted fasteners, etc etc. It turns into time and materials and frustrated customers.

#36 ·
I went to Kingsbay Powersports last year (which was listed on Honda site as a power dealer or something like that), they won't even put a tire on unless I bring them just the rim due to age of the motorcycle. I needed a radiator cap checked and they wouldn't do it, I asked service manager if they would just check the cap for me if I brought them the cap, if it was bad I would order one through them and they wouldn't even do that. I get their reasoning behind this old motorcycle thing but seems common sense should factor in at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.