GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all the post about Deals Gap and would like to make the trip. However, I am wondering what type of riding experience one should have prior to making the trip and when is the best time to go? Since everyone on here is helpful and willing to offer advice, I am asking.

Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Trapshooter said:
I have been reading all the post about Deals Gap and would like to make the trip. However, I am wondering what type of riding experience one should have prior to making the trip and when is the best time to go? Since everyone on here is helpful and willing to offer advice, I am asking.

Thanks
Rusty
if you ride only as fast as you want to its no big deal!!

best time is the middle of the week!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Rusty,
I went last year this time and I am heading back on Oct 18 this year. Your level of experience is only a consideration based on the type of ride you want to make through the gap. If you are smart you won't exceed your abilities or the Dragon will bite you. You can take a slow safe pace if it fits you and still have a very enjoyable ride. (Like I do)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yellow Wolf & BCDad,

Thanks. I think I will try and talk my neighbor into going to the Gap next year for a ride. Personally, I like to take it slow and enjoy the sites. The only time I am in a hurry is to get home form work and pick up a riding partner for an evening ride.

Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
495 Posts
Trapshooter, what everyone has said is true. Ride your own ride, and enjoy the prettiest scenery you may ever see. There are so many other roads to ride, and things to see, you will be hooked after your first visit.

Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I noticed you mentioned "enjoy the sites". There isn't much to see at the Gap other than trees and curves. The view from the dam and the roads in and around the Gap are wonderful. I feel that the gap is meant to enjoy the ride and not the view. The visit to the store/motel to me is a trip worth going for. Be sure to visit the Cherohala Skyway since you are that close. The views are great. I go at least twice a year (from Georgia) and enjoy both the gap and the skyway each time. Regardless,,take whatever Yellow wolf says as the gospel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Like Jackrabbit said there sure aren't any scenary on the Gap, I have rode it and don't have any desire to ever ride it again. The Cherohala is ten times better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I rode the gap for the sirst time last Tuesday. It was......fine I guess, but I think the hype has it overrated. Yea....it's got lots of curves and trees.... and places to hit trees, and skin you ass, but not many views until the overlook. ( yea I know if your a hot dog rider then it's ten times more fun I suppose). That's not my bag. There are much more scenic places in that area, and those are the roads to go for IMO.

Do not try to be a hot dog at the gap unless you can ride!! It is a mean road!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Boy, I wish I could ride it every day about 10 times a day. To me it was very, very addicting. Each person has there own thoughts what they like to do. Holly and I had great satisfaction riding it as fast as we could safely do.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yes, it is exciting and fun to challenge yourself and your skill there. But for me I'd rather be doing it on sport bike with leather from head to toe without my wife on back..(mine was with me also). It's just not a wing road IMO. (I know Yellow Wolf would argue!) Fun no doubt......but I guess I'm not into risking my butt like that....not that you have too, but it makes you want to......that might be what I'm trying to keep away from.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The Gap is something anybody that is riding in the area should experience when you are in the area. As far as looking aroud, I suggest you pull off at any stop along the way. 318 curves in 11 miles requires concentration even if you are an aggressive rider. Just ask Yellow Wolf

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to echo the Cherohala Skyway ride. We enjoyed it much better than the Gap for the reasons listed above. Make a day of it and ride the entire loop: Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Paul Long said:
I have to echo the Cherohala Skyway ride. We enjoyed it much better than the Gap for the reasons listed above. Make a day of it and ride the entire loop: Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway.
And when you get to Tellico Plains find the town "square" area and the "Towns Cafe".....great home cookin!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The Dragon is no place for sight seeing. If you take your eyes off the road for a second you will be a contributor to the "tree of shame."

·
Registered
425 Posts
As a former Wing rider, and current Gap rider, this is how it breaks down. If you are looking for great views ride the Cherohala and Foothills Parkway. Both are fun rides and beautiful. You will ride the Gap to get from one to the other. Ride your ride when you run Deal's. It's fun whether or not you rail it. Like YW said, mid-week is a good time to go and early AM has the least traffic. It does pick up in the Fall because of folks going to see the leaves change.

Go to Cades Cove when you finish the Foothills Parkway. It's low-speed and really scenic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts