·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depart - Dublin Ga. 4:00 PM, Friday, temp 50ish
Arrived - Helen Ga. 8:00 PM. Temp 43 degrees
Depart - Helen Ga. 10:30 AM for Robbinsville NC. "Deals Gap"
Arrived Deals Gap 2:00 PM, Temp 51 degrees

Rode the Dragon, "Forward and back," didn't care about the time or temp. "good time to be alive, and ride a motorcycle"

"Keep in mind that when it got crazy, she put the camera down to hold-on. I passed this guy shortly after this. This is going up hill, pulling a trailer. We both were scraping. "Wife really liked it. She repeatedly told how good of a driver that I am." I am glad that you can't hear our audio. It takes a minute to open, just click OK.

http://media.putfile.com/Wing-on-the-Dragon

I have another video going down the dragon, showing 60 to 70 mph top speeds, but it not upload because it's 30MB. I'll work on it.

Depart Deals Gap for Helen Ga. 4:15 PM, "3 hours expected."
Wrong turn made somewhere in the NC mountains. Resulted in a 5 hour ride, in low 40 temps. Yee Ha. A lot of "pleasantries" exchanged with the wife. She was right, but I still say the sign was wrong.

Sunday morning - Helen to Dublin, 3 hours, no drama

Were starting to speak now :)

Time - 17 hours riding, in 3 days
Rooms - $260
Meals - $60 bucks, "didn't eat much, no time, too cold"
Gas - 6 or 8 tanks. "drove it hard most of the time"
Having to buy new pegs - "priceless"

Dale

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Dale sound like a great trip. Infact we made a 9 day trip down through the gap on to Savana, Daytona, back up through 441 and spend one night in Dublin, then up to gainsville through hwy 60 to cleveland, tn just a couple of weeks ago. north ga has some nice roads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

the video works, but it takes about 2 minutes to load. Its worth the wait. That's a harley in front. He was toast :)

Dale

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Deal's Gap

Dale,

Just as a suggestion; next time you have your wife on the back seat and want to record a specific road, have her rest the video camera on your shoulder. Left or right doesn't matter, but it will be a more steady picture and all you'll see is the windshield and the road up ahead. This will eliminate seeing your helmet in the video. :wink:

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
One of these days I'm heading back there for that ride. Looks like an absolute ball.

We have some great roads out west with mountains and sights beyond compare, but I have yet to come across anything like the Gap. Close but no cigar.

Thanks for sharing your fun.

Bud

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. We really enjoyed it. Yellow wolf, the video would have been awseome, and if we go again, i will try to look you up.

In defense to the private message that I received.

I am new to this type of riding, and the video camera was taken with us to film the leaves. When I saw how fun it was I told the wife to record some.

I did not know that the 1800 was that good in that environment. I was able keep up with all other “2 up bikes” there. I had never ridden that hard for that long.

We could come out of the turn and roll on the throttle “as much as it would take” then stand on the brakes hard. The bike even wiggled a couple of times, but was never out of control.

Then lean until it scraped. I even scraped on purpose a couple of times. Don’t get me wrong, I am a professional risk manager. I talk with people about accidents and dieing every day. Not to mention, the mother of my children was on the back. The average speed on the dragon is probably about 35 to 40 mph.

Statistically speaking, the ride there and back at highway speeds was probable just as dangerous.

I will never question another person’s decision to ride their motorcycle aggressively or not. I consider it their decision, “As long as they are not endangering others.”

Motorcycle riding is a dangerous event if your riding across town, or a twisty mountain road.

If you don’t like the message, then please just ignore it.

Dale

·
Registered
393 Posts
Would you be, could you be Dale Nifong? I knew a really swell guy with your name in south GA; a really good guy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan, Would you be or could you be the "Dan the man" F-16 mech Extraordinaire, from Moody AFB?

Dale and Cathy :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know something about an F-16...That sure is a nice lookin scoot you have there.

Glad to hear you and Cathy had a great time on the Dragon. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts