GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our NY GWRRA Chapter X went to Knoxville for Wing Ding. No way we can be that close without riding some of the great roads there. Here's a video I took of our Chapter Director "slaying the Dragon", plus a few miles of the twisties before the overlook.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dragon

Glad you had the opportunity to experience the road and hope you both had fun.

Next time, ride it slower and smoother and don't wear out the yellow lines.

You will enjoy it more cause you won't work as hard.

Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll do. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad you had the opportunity to experience the road and hope you both had fun.

Next time, ride it slower and smoother and don't wear out the yellow lines.

You will enjoy it more cause you won't work as hard.

Jim
:agree:

Won by 1,
Also, it's good to see someone take constructive comments in a positive way and not get offended. :thumbup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, no problem. Thanks for the kind words. The thing is though that DEPUTY DAWG is right. Geez, and I have track day in two weeks. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'll openly admit that the first time I did the Dragon on a goldwing... it wasn't pretty. Won by 1's ride is much better than mine was.

I'm fairly aggressive, and I really wanted to "tame" the Dragon. Here's pretty much what I did:

• Sped up way too fast out of one curve and into the next
  • Slammed on the brakes way too many times going into the curves
  • Didn't have a good smooth line, so I ended up drifting across the entire lane and was way too intimate with the double yellow
  • I was getting a bit frustrated with the curves and dragging pegs so much that I'd overcompensate by again speeding way too fast out of the curves.
That said... I had a helluva time and enjoyed it immensely. :)

I've since learned that when I slow it down a notch and keep my speed more constant, increase the pressure to my suspension, brake less in the curves, find the right lines and ride said lines through... It's not only more enjoyable, but it's less work and I shaved off a minute or so from my overall time.

But... I had to do it over, and over, and over, and over again before I got those results. Didn't mind the practice one bit. ;)

Nice vid Won by 1... I wish I had a memento like that from my first ride on the Dragon.

Bob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yup, no problem. Thanks for the kind words. The thing is though that DEPUTY DAWG is right. Geez, and I have track day in two weeks. :shrug:
:yes1:
Glad you didn't get upset with my comments.
Wasn't trying to be a smarta** in anyway.
I see and read alot from folks who want to "Tame The Dragon".
It's not about setting any speed records. Ride it like you would any other road, smooth and in control. Remember smooth IS faster.
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have rode this thing for years on the Wing and previous bikes I've owned. I also have been guilty of pushing too hard at times and not being smooth with entry and exit. Just have to try and stay focused with what you are doing and don't get caught up in all the HYPE.
There are better roads in the area also. Try some out next time you're there.
Hope you enjoy your track day.

Jim

·
Registered
210 Posts
Our NY GWRRA Chapter X went to Knoxville for Wing Ding. No way we can be that close without riding some of the great roads there. Here's a video I took of our Chapter Director "slaying the Dragon", plus a few miles of the twisties before the overlook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITDoIPJ2mtw
Great ride and I believe you both slew the dragon..... What video setup did you use and did you do any editing to get down to Utube limits? Made my heart happy watching. Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Glad you all had the opportunity to ride the Dragon. Hope you all enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I hope to ride the dragon this year, but I want to enjoy the ride and see the scenery. Like I told my son, if I knew there was a million dollars waiting on me at the 'finish', I might be willing to take the chance of gettting hurt, but since there's not I don't see the use in taking the risk. I took a chance about 2 months ago while on the way to work and haven't been able to ride since because I had to have knee surgery to reconnect my Quadricept tendion to my knee cap because of it.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I hope to ride the dragon this year, but I want to enjoy the ride and see the scenery.
Please do not attempt to see the scenery while riding! Ride pillion or as passenger in a car, but not in control of a vehicle. 318 curves is not just ad hype. You will be way too busy to see the sights. I videoed one ride and watched it afterward to see the sights. (Found out the leaves were out nicely.) There are also many pull-offs (paved) that can be used for looking at nature and watching others.

Enjoy, but concentrate on the road.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Please do not attempt to see the scenery while riding! Ride pillion or as passenger in a car, but not in control of a vehicle. 318 curves is not just ad hype. You will be way too busy to see the sights. I videoed one ride and watched it afterward to see the sights. (Found out the leaves were out nicely.) There are also many pull-offs (paved) that can be used for looking at nature and watching others.

Enjoy, but concentrate on the road.

:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Thanks for posting. Glad you enjoyed it.:yes1:

As posted, there are many roads near there that are great to ride and smooth will translate into faster and safer.

One of the things that helped me increase my pace with confidance was having Traxxion give my bike a suspension that could support the bike properly and help it stay on line when the road was less than cooperating.

Like anything else, if you want to get better at anything, watch, ask questions and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Our group rode it twice 2 weeks ago while we were at Maggie Valley.
I hope you didn't leave any parts at the "Tree Of Shame"

·
Registered
958 Posts
Wow, looks like you had the place pretty much to yourselves. I've never seen the parking lot that empty at the store. You obviously picked a great time of day & day of week to do your slaying.

One bit of caution about hugging the double yellows especially on the left-handers - do closely look out for oncoming bikes in your lane. Several times I've had to share MY own lane with an oncoming bike or two....:eek:4:

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Nice riding, but like DAWG said, really practice "hugging" that "white" line, especially in the left turns. On roads like the Dragon, or any other twisty road for that matter, giving yourself extra room for an "easy out" can save you, especially with all the other "tards" who will cross that center line. Having to stop to clean your shorts isn't fun either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, looks like you had the place pretty much to yourselves. I've never seen the parking lot that empty at the store. You obviously picked a great time of day & day of week to do your slaying.

One bit of caution about hugging the double yellows especially on the left-handers - do closely look out for oncoming bikes in your lane. Several times I've had to share MY own lane with an oncoming bike or two....:eek:4:
We stayed in Pigeon Forge, got up early Friday morning, hit the road and had breakfast at the Dragon Works store. Yea... we still couldn't believe how vacant it was.

I do appreciate the friendly advice about the double yellows. Although, at times when I can see around the turn, I do occasionally wonder in to the left just a bit, it isn't quite as far as it seems. The problem is the that I mount the camera to the left side of the windshield. If I mount it off to the right, it looks like I'm riding in the woods. I think I need to work on a more central location for the camera, and the videos will be a much better quality.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My recent and only experience with the Dragon certainly wasn't pretty. It's easy to get sucked into the hype and push beyond your abilities even on the first trip over the road. Guilty! I'm glad there isn't any video evidence of my ride.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITDoIPJ2mtw
Fun ain't it?:congrats:The lines on the camera bike wasn't to bad. Where Did you have it mounted? Don't ya just love those switchbacks?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts