GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are going to ride over to Gatlinburg. I've always wanted to ride the Gap but have two questions. 1) How long roundtrip from Gatlinburg during the week. 2) How do I know when the section of 129 starts "Deal's Gap"?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Can't help you with the first question - been a while since I was there on a weekday. But you'll know your're on the Dragon when the road gets really twisty. (Just after you pass Chilhowee Lake and cross the bridge.)

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts

Answer:
1) Mapquest
2) See Dawgs answer,

Another exceptional Place to stay is Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stechoa, NC. Within 25 miles of the gap. But the road there is much more enjoyable than the gap itself.
John and Charleen Powell are the owners and wonderful hosts. Do a Google search or click http://ironhorsenc.com/. Well worth it.

RJ

·
Registered
528 Posts
I did the trip over Labor Day weekend. Direct route is very close. I did a ride from Knoxville through the Dragon, out into the Smokey's, dinner in Gatlinburg and back to Knoxville. The route was only around 250 miles and we didn't head out until around 10 am and got back by 6pm.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The wife and I are going to ride over to Gatlinburg. I've always wanted to ride the Gap but have two questions. 1) How long roundtrip from Gatlinburg during the week. 2) How do I know when the section of 129 starts "Deal's Gap"?

Best time to ride Deal's Gap is during the week days. To much traffic on weekends or holidays. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Lunch at the Gap deli - Cold Smoked Mountain Trout deli sandwich with fries and soft drink <$8. Also a view of gallons of testosterone flowing by. Ah, youth, where did I waste you? Please don't site-see on the "Dragon". Too much road and traffic. Let the passenger do the site-seeing for you. Stay in your lane. Move over for others when you feel comfortable for them to pass, or use one of the many pull-offs.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Forgot to answer your second question. From the North, the Dragon starts at the overlook and it ends about a mile past the resort at the dam to the South or the other way around, depending on which way you're going.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

Map of Deal's Gap. 0mile is at the MotorCycleResort on the South end to the 11mile marker which is at the South end of Chilohowee Lake.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Suggestions?

We're planning a trip to that area next year enroute to Myrtle Beach SC.

We take note that the best time, especially for 'newbies' is to ride The Gap on a weekday.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to negotitate the Gap (riding 2-up)?

We are both 64 years of age and I am NOT an aggressive rider.

Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Greg and Jan

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The speed limit in the Gap has been lowered(some time ago)to 30mph.
It is heavily patroled, especially on the NC end, on the weekends.
Ride within your limits, do not speed, you as the rider keep your eyes on the road and enjoy!
If it's one's first time there. A ride both ways is in order! A stop at either the Motorcycle Resort or Tail of the Dragon outlet to "get the T-shirt" is also a must.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keep in mind that it's just a road. It wasn't built for motorcycles as a scary skill testing race track. It has a lot of changes in elevation and switchbacks. Most of which you would find on a good weekend ride through some mountainous areas. The only difference between this road and most others is that there are a lot of them back to back. It's a great road, but again, it's just a road.

If you ride the speed limit, you should have no problems.

I made a video of my ride along the Dragon. I'll attach the link, it's not meant to impress, I just wanted a keep sake of my ride. Check it out, it gives you a reasonable and real idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P65Me3Fu5tE

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Keep in mind that it's just a road. It wasn't built for motorcycles as a scary skill testing race track. It has a lot of changes in elevation and switchbacks. Most of which you would find on a good weekend ride through some mountainous areas. The only difference between this road and most others is that there are a lot of them back to back. It's a great road, but again, it's just a road.

If you ride the speed limit, you should have no problems.

I made a video of my ride along the Dragon. I'll attach the link, it's not meant to impress, I just wanted a keep sake of my ride. Check it out, it gives you a reasonable and real idea of what to expect.
Nice Video. :thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. GoldwingRon - thanks. Doesn't look quite as scary watching as I had it made up in my head.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Everyone

should ride the Dragon, once. Beyond that, there are tons of better roads to ride. Get the T-shirt or the decal, then go visit the Cherohala, Hwy's 28, 60 and many others.

You'll have a great time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
While returning from DC, my wife and I rode 'The Gap' for the very first time back on the 15th of September, a Thursday. The weather was damp, but we had the road all to ourselves. We rode South from Knoxville, through 'The Gap', and then stopped at the resort for a cup of coffee and a T-shirt.

Then we backtracked our way up to I-40 again, and rode to Memphis for the night.

We live in Central Oklahoma and ride the tight twisties of the Arkansas Ozarks often. And to be honest, I was expecting 'The Gap' to be as good, if not better, but I was a bit disappointed. There are many roads is NW Arkansas that will bring you down to first gear in order to navigate the tight turns, but 'The Gap' was more like tight sweepers by comparison.

Due to the length of the gap, you can get into a nice rhythm though, and the foliage is absolutely beautiful.

Still, I was glad that we did it, and if I am ever in the area again, I will definitely ride it again.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I agree, northwestern AR is sure good riding.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
should ride the Dragon, once. Beyond that, there are tons of better roads to ride. Get the T-shirt or the decal, then go visit the Cherohala, Hwy's 28, 60 and many others.

You'll have a great time.
When one lives in central flatland Indiana with roads that cross several counties with hardly any curve to speak of, Deal's Gap and the other roads in that area are a more than one time need! More like at least once a year, which I have been doing for more years than I will admit.
There are some neat roads in the area that once you get to know the natives, you will learn about some of their favorites, that have not been commercialized or hyped up for the retail profit of a few.
If you're going to stay near Gatlinburg and enjoy a lunch like you used to get at the diner's/drive inns of the 50's/60's go to http://melsdinerpf.com/
The best BBQ around is at http://thegreatsmokeymountainsparkway.com/_attracti/gatlcalh.htm

Breakfest must be taken at 2 different places.
1. Any of the area Flap Jacks: http://www.bing.com/local/default.a...atlinburg&qpvt=flapjacks+gatlinburg&FORM=LARE
and
http://pancakepantry.com/
OK, that's it-wife and I are loading the trike and going next week!
I'm retired, so why not!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts