GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving from So. Calif. Coast for a weekend ride to Death Valley. October 11 - 13. Meet up in Fillmore and then others in Simi Valley. Staying in Beatty NV.
Lunch Friday at Mt Whitney Portal. May tour to Tonopah on Saturday. Will definitely have to have a meal at the Copper Top in Big Pine.

Anyone interested in joining?

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
What route will you be taking.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The route over will likely be Hwy 14 direct to the 395 then cross over through Stove Pipe Wells.
I am not organizing the ride. Just going for the enjoyment. We're not a hammer to get there group. We like to tour
and enjoy.

Starting point's. First the Mc-D's in Fillmore. 7:00 Friday morning.
We usually gather at the Sycamore Chevron in Simi Valley, on Sycamore Road. 8:00 But it looks like they are renovating the station. We'll check that out and make a change if necessary. Talking about lunch at the Mt. Whitney Portal.
Usually stay at the Stagecoach or Motel 6 in Beatty.
I'll have a few more details as they come, however we usually like to be surprised by the ride leader.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I might have to make some time for that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Leaving from So. Calif. Coast for a weekend ride to Death Valley. October 11 - 13. Meet up in Fillmore and then others in Simi Valley. Staying in Beatty NV.
Lunch Friday at Mt Whitney Portal. May tour to Tonopah on Saturday. Will definitely have to have a meal at the Copper Top in Big Pine.

Anyone interested in joining?

Corventure Dave
Thanks for mentioning the Copper Top, I'll be sure to check it out. :capwin:
I'll be coming up 395 late September in my camper, taking the long way home from SoCal to Roseville.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I won't be able to make it, but I hope the heat isn't unbearable. Safe travels, and enjoy the ride! I'm already planning on the xteenth annual trip in February.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Oh, another one of those "The plan is there is no plan!" kind of rides, huh? :mrgreen:

Friday looks like this, kinda? https://goo.gl/maps/eBvy7AC5KSU2LYGLA

Oh, wait, I have the first two locations reversed - but that's the general idea.

Nice! But I'm 550 miles away....

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
^^^^ Ken - 550 miles is nothing for you :) Heck you could knock that out before breakfast :)
Well... :mrgreen:

I mean, I *might* have to have a little something in the middle of that. :lol: Depending on route, it's between 520 and 550 from my place to Beatty. As many times as I've been there...yeah, I think I've taken most of the feasible routes to get there.

Do you have addresses for the meetup spots?
Dave kinda mentions this in the 4th post in the thread...

"I'll have a few more details as they come, however we usually like to be surprised by the ride leader."

...which is where my previous comment came from.

·
Registered
308 Posts
FYI. Wife and I have hit minor sand storms there. Also sometimes kinky people hand out at some of the stops.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
FYI. Wife and I have hit minor sand storms there. Also sometimes kinky people hand out at some of the stops.

IN 1985 a group of 5 of us rode to DV and spent 3 days there. My buddy had a really nice GL1200 that he just had pin striped a month before our trip. We got caught in a bad sand storm and they had to shut the road down behind us. We stopped for lunch and as we left the restaurant we noticed that the entire right side of his bike had all of his pin striping sand blasted off and my windshield and others were ruined. :crying:

Reactions: Clamper and JoeHall

·
Registered
226 Posts
IN 1985 a group of 5 of us rode to DV and spent 3 days there. My buddy had a really nice GL1200 that he just had pin striped a month before our trip. We got caught in a bad sand storm and they had to shut the road down behind us. We stopped for lunch and as we left the restaurant we noticed that the entire right side of his bike had all of his pin striping sand blasted off and my windshield and others were ruined. :crying:

A similar thing happened to a friend car on Whitewater grade near Palm Spring. Normally DV winds are more prevalent in the spring, but all bets are off if a storm passes.

There is GWRRA group going from Blythe to Beatty Oct. 9-10th, Ill be on the NoCal portion 11th-15th.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fillmore is on Hwy 126, running East-West between Hwy 101 in Ventura and the I-5 Valencia - Magic Mountain Amusement Park.
McDonalds is on the 126 that's running through Fillmore, that's a small town that you could about miss it if you sneeze.

More details as I get them.:wink2:

Yes Spring storms over that way are the worst. Especially right after a early spring rain storm. We watch the weather and reschedule to avoid these.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
633 Posts
Fillmore is on Hwy 126, running East-West between Hwy 101 in Ventura and the I-5 Valencia - Magic Mountain Amusement Park.
McDonalds is on the 126 that's running through Fillmore, that's a small town that you could about miss it if you sneeze.
Okay, that helped. For those that are interested the actual address is:

McDonald's
908 Ventura St
Fillmore, CA 93015

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool article.:thumbup:
Have been seeing the El Sueno de la Familia sign has been in that empty lot for years!
Never went to the Shady Lady. But I see it is now a Bed-n-Breakfast, with lots of interesting tory's to tell!:nerd:

Corventure Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts