GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK. The ride organizer - leader is vacationing in Hawaii right now, but we have a bit more info on this ride.

Departing Fillmore Calif. from the McD's at 8:00 Friday am Oct 11th. McDonalds is at 908 Ventura Street which happens to be the Hwy 126 through Fillmore. Near impossible to miss. We'll head east on Hwy 126. Take Copperhill Rd to scenic Bouquet Canyon then pick up Hwy 14 to Mojave then on to Hwy 395.
Tenative plan to make our way to the Mt. Whitney Portal for lunch. Wave at the "Monkey Rock" . End the day in Beatty.

Saturday... Follow the leader.. He's on a Honda!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Reservation made at the Hampton 6... :wink2:

Looking good so far. I'll meet you all in Beatty. The McD's might be a little out of my way... :laugh:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
May have a buddy joining me. I'll let him chime in. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We're Baaaack!
Unfortunately I did not have my copilot to take pictures. But we had a great 1000 mile ride over the weekend. Was concerned about heavy winds on the Hwy395, as we have been having vary heavy Santa Anna wind here in So. Calif. As it turned out, wind was no issue. Friday we rode up to the Mt. Whitney Portal for a burger. Then we made our way across Death Valley to Beatty NV. for the night. Met Jim there. He rode in from Arizona. Got a special bowl of chili at the Donkee saloon there in Beatty.
Sat morning we rode up to Goldfield and Tonopah. It was a balmy 35 degrees until later in the morning. Then worked our way back to Bishop. Haven't done that loop before and now know why. It's mostly just straight roads. Better to be in a car!:surprise:
From Bishop we rode to Big Pine for a Copper-Top BBQ before heading back to Beatty on scenic Hwy 168. This more than made up for the straight roads this morning.
Generally the temps in DV were in the 70's.
Took a round about way back home Sunday.

A long time friend of mine once again joined up. Paul designed and built his own Trike about 6 years ago. He has over 60,000 miles on it. Rides all over California.
The front end is his modified Harley. The trans-axil is VW. Also modified. The engine is a 1965 Corvair 110hp. As I said he designed built this entirely himself. Frame and all. He even cast the fairing and fenders in his shop out of fiberglass. Everything is ergonomically perfect for min. Oh.... Paul is also 83 years old, has been riding motorcycles since he was pre-teen, built street rods and off road Baja vehicles and is not hardly slowing down! I really enjoy meeting true innovative craftsman and engineer's!

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Sat morning we rode up to Goldfield and Tonopah. It was a balmy 35 degrees until later in the morning. Then worked our way back to Bishop. Haven't done that loop before and now know why. It's mostly just straight roads. Better to be in a car!
I've not done the stretch between the turn-off to NV-266/CA-168 and Tonopah, but I can read a map... :mrgreen:

A couple years ago, I did a LD ride across large portions of US-6 in NV. Much like most of the Great Basin desert...just not a lot out there. As you noted, area around Beatty looks a lot like that. Beauty in its own unique way, certainly.

I *can* tell you that the Nevada Highway Patrol is infamous for some sneaky radar tactics out on those roads. Thus, ripping along at PSL+15 or higher can be risky.

Glad y'all had fun!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Only 1000 miles??? I must have taken a wrong turn! Just under 1500 miles for me. @biglefti met me in Lake Havasu City and joined me for the ride home. I told him I wouldn't mention the night time powdery dirt road detour, so I won't... :wink2:

It was great seeing you again, Dave, and meeting Marty and Paul. I obviously need to improve my cornering skills because I couldn't shake that trike! Paul's a BEAST on that thing! Of course, there weren't that many corners anyway...:wink2:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm glad you didn't mention that. I notice that you didn't mention it was also a shortcut and saved us about 15 miles or so. :) :) :)

Reactions: Arizona16
21 - 30 of 30 Posts