GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a ride this morning, saw and dodged much wild life! :trike:
:wrong:

Had two squirrels cross the road just in front of me while going slow in the back roads of Bella Vista which wasn't too bad to miss. Later when I was up in MO we surprised a hawk that was on the side of the road. It jumped up in the air right in front of us and we were going 50 or so. All I could see was a profile of the hawks face through the windscreen and I swear his eye got bigger just as he swerved to the left and came up over my left mirror just missing the mirror and windscreen. My wife just saw a big bunch of wings and feathers go by to the left and said what the ---- was that? I told her it was me ripping out a chunk of our sheepskin seat cover caused by a hawk with a HUGH eye!!!! I think he was too surprised to even [email protected] all over our wing!:eek:4:

Next was a black squirrel and we were still going 50 or so. I saw this black blur of fur and long tail streak out in front of our path and I instinctively dodged, just a tad to the right, didn't feel any bump of running over anything and glanced at the left rear mirror. It had switched directions going back across the road and then immediately switched directions again heading back across the road the way he was originally going when I dodged it. It looked like there was a black smudge where it had been in the road!!! :eek: We must have scared the s*it out of it as it stayed a streaking blur till it disappeared from my view!

After this we decided to head home to cool off in the A/C and hope we didn't have any other close calls with wild life.:trike:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Man I hate days like that. Makes you want to get off the bike to see if someone put a target on it!! Glad everything worked out. At least you got to ride, I got to spend the day with my daughter and new son-in-law. Now that the wedding is over, hopefully I will be able to put some miles on the bike.:excited:

Tree

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I hate days like that. Makes you want to get off the bike to see if someone put a target on it!! Glad everything worked out. At least you got to ride, I got to spend the day with my daughter and new son-in-law. Now that the wedding is over, hopefully I will be able to put some miles on the bike.:excited:

Tree
Congradulations on the new son-in-law. In this weather, my wife and I try to only ride in the mornings on the weekends to stay out of the major heat of the day.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
always great when we come back from a ride with Misses instead of hits.
The one thing that occurred to me was that you "dodged" the black squirrel.
An interesting statistic from Michigan ... where (when I lived there up until 1-1/2 years ago), more accidents/damage/deaths occurred from people TRYING to dodge to avoid a collision with wildlife ... with a corresponding loss of control. Dodge "hard enough" and it can be very hard to get the bike pointed down the road again.
I have had many near misses, but several years ago I had an incident I couldn't avoid. When the doe hit my lights, she was running hell-bent-for-leather from my left side. I had exactly enough time to do as I'd tried to train myself to do ... tighten my grip on the bars (I have the unfortunate habit of riding with my cruise on and a couple of fingers of my left hand gently touching the left bar most times) and prepare to keep the bike in a straight line. She hit me on the left fairing just behind the front wheel and spun off to my rear, scraping the left saddlebag and my leg as she went. Result ... I moved about a foot to my right, but kept heading down the road ... instead of into the woods on my right. $2000 damage to the fairing and saddlebag, and a tiny dent to my pride ... and loads of people saying "bullcrap" when I say that I rode out a deer/bike collision without going down.
If you're unprepared for your reaction when an incident happens ... your natural reaction (as you noted) is to dodge. You might get away with it if you're not going too fast ...but combine the dodge and speed and it's ditch/bush/oncoming car time ...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
IMO, we need to get away from the idea that we have to dodge small animals.

Quick avoidance manuevers and/or braking destabilizes the bike making it much more likely that a collision with a critter will put you down.

I have been hit by a medium size dog and a 100 lb deer with only some slight tupperware damage. Both times I just straightened my arms and maintained throttle. Barely felt anything.

Think about it. A 900 plus pound bike and say 200 pounds of rider and gear traveling at 45 mph+. It's gonna take a lot of animal to put you down....unless you help it by upsetting the bikes balance and inertia.

I have even run over a squirel with the bike leaned almost to the pegs in a turn. Barely noticible. :shrug: Had I tried to brake or swerve, I would have been eating asphalt.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO, we need to get away from the idea that we have to dodge small animals.

Quick avoidance manuevers and/or braking destabilizes the bike making it much more likely that a collision with a critter will put you down.

I have been hit by a medium size dog and a 100 lb deer with only some slight tupperware damage. Both times I just straightened my arms and maintained throttle. Barely felt anything.

Think about it. A 900 plus pound bike and say 200 pounds of rider and gear traveling at 45 mph+. It's gonna take a lot of animal to put you down....unless you help it by upsetting the bikes balance and inertia.

I have even run over a squirel with the bike leaned almost to the pegs in a turn. Barely noticible. :shrug: Had I tried to brake or swerve, I would have been eating asphalt.

Trailsman, you and Orangcrush make valid points. :bow:

With the hawk I had no time to even try to do a quick dodge and the one with the black critter was just a small jog of a couple of inches. I have to try to get out of the habit of trying to dodge as 900 lbs out of control is not something I really want to deal with.:eek:4:

Thanks for the reply's. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Watch out for forest rats (Deer) and large dogs.

the rest of them just go bump..........:joke:

Even a small dog, hey, was not me who ran out into the road. I will hit them directly too.

Might even hit a deer direct, just depends on the situation. Usually not much choice on that one it happens so fast.

Little animals, hey, hit them. they just go bump.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is my thought as well, unless it is a very large animal, it usually only 10% of the weight (mass) Mass usually wins all the time. I always yield to larger mass. :22yikes:

Even a small dog, hey, was not me who ran out into the road. I will hit them directly too.
Yes Kit you are correct. But this is what happened to me the other day. Two kids were coming out of a ditch (creek really) I guess they were fishing, both were watching for traffic. So, I'm thinking cool they see all of us. (there was a lot of traffic for some reason) As I get closer, suddenly their beagle comes darting out of the ditch. I could hear them screaming at it, luckily it obeyed. My concern was not the dog, it would have been just a "bump," all I could see was the kids running out into the road to save the dog. They did not do this, but it would not have been pretty.

Things happen quick, I try to replay everything (even if it turns out ok) to see what I could have done different. If there is a next time, hopefully it will jog something in my thick skull.:shrug:

Tree

·
Registered
379 Posts
Congradulations on the new son-in-law. In this weather, my wife and I try to only ride in the mornings on the weekends to stay out of the major heat of the day.:thumbup:
Thank you. I just dropped the daughter off at the airport so she can return to her Navy station in Seattle. The son-in-law stayed here, soon to be transferred to Georgia, (Navy too)

One on the east coast and the other on the west coast? The marriage should last forever!!!:joke::joke:

Hey, separation is what keeps my marriage going (25 years and counting) Homecoming is the fun part.:thumbup:

Tree

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Kit, you are right....:thumbup:

Thank you. I just dropped the daughter off at the airport so she can return to her Navy station in Seattle. The son-in-law stayed here, soon to be transferred to Georgia, (Navy too)

One on the east coast and the other on the west coast? The marriage should last forever!!!:joke::joke:

Hey, separation is what keeps my marriage going (25 years and counting) Homecoming is the fun part.:thumbup:

Tree
Tree, our daughter has been in Japan for the last 2 months with her husband (he is in the Navy) and so far it's equalled out to one month home, one month on a ship. They are there for the next 4 years! She is also due (a boy) in November! :eek: Lots of Homecoming for them! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts