GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not that i am not safety conscious but i am anti decal. Just got a new machine that has large safety decals that detract from the looks of it.

How do i remove the decals without damaging the plastic and paint the is underneath them?

Thanx

safe riding

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Its not that i am not safety conscious but i am anti decal. Just got a new machine that has large safety decals that detract from the looks of it.

How do i remove the decals without damaging the plastic and paint the is underneath them?

Thanx

safe riding
Slowly peal them off with a hair dryer....then any residue...use hot water with windex & a clean rag.

Mark

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
There are many ways to remove decals. I am not sure what is the best. I use WD40, let it soak and gradually peel away at the decal. I have heard some use many other products from commercial goo removers to razor blades. Read more than my post to get a better idea of what you want to try. I am sure there are many on this board that have a better plan.:popcorn:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Decal Removal

WD 40 works well. Also cleans up the glue.

Hair dryer.

Waxed Dental floss, helps you peel it off.

txs, F

·
Registered
822 Posts
there is a product called sticker off and it will work just don't get in a hurry .get at the auto parts store .:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Good stuff here. Warm it up with a hair dryer and use a fingernail to get it started and peel off. WD 40 and a clean microfiber or cotton cloth to finish off rhe goo. Don't get it too hot just enough to loosen up the adhesive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Alcohol releases the glue

Alcohol releases the glue... do not hurry... I wet a paper towel in it, then lay the towel on the sticker letting it stay till about dry. Sometimes if it is still tight I do it a second or third time. Then peel off. After wipe the area... then apply some polish and a coat of wax. If you don't wax and use acrylic polymers... polish the area buff a little and apply the acrylic polymer.

Do not, repeat "not", get in a hurry. You could lift the pain doing this... quality and workmanship is not what it use to be... I've got a new one sitting in the garage that will prove me to be honest in that statement.

This is my 6th one and like I said when they started building in Ohio... "we'll soon have a monster powerful engine with more tranny problems and body will look good but screws and fasteners will be falling out before it leaves the dealer." My new one proves me 100% correct.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
However you take them off, if you don't want them get them off now! They will leave a mark if left on for very long. Don't ask how I know.:?
Paint fades. Take swirl remover and start from where the sticker was and gently work your way into the color change. New enough polish works pretty good for this purpose also. If that doesn't work, mild rubbing compound will do the trick but be prepared to do the whole vehicle (car or bike). Wherever you stop it is going to show.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts