GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resently purchased a 2002 VTX 1800 with Cobra Drag Pipes, Great Bike with one problem the top pipe pops allot and loud on deceleration ( only the top pipe). I have read the form about fuel managment systems and programers and followed up with some research but before I jump off and spend some money I thought I would get some input from those that may have had the same problems. Any help would be apreciated.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Trent......I don't know if you know it or not, but you posted this question of the "Goldwing" board! Someone might have a answer for you here, but you might have better luck on the VTX or Big Bike board.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Popping

Trent,
I had a VTX with Big Shots aftermarket exhausts. It popped pretty bad until I installed a Power Commander unit. Power Commander comes with some pre-programmed formulas for the VTX with specific exhaust systems. I used one of the programs, and it helped. Then I took it to a local shop and had them dyno it and fine tune, and it worked great.
I really miss my VTX for riding around town

:yw1:

G

·
I am by no means an expert, especially when it comes to wrenching, but I just read an article in Rider Magazine, May 2003 in the Q and A section. The question related to the inquirer asking about the Samson pipes he has installed. He wanted something quieter but had concerns about warping the valves. Part of the response to the question may help you with your problem and question.

"Let's begin with the readings from the exhaust pipe at cold start in 60 degree weather. The fuel injection system delivers a miserly 2 percent carbon monoxide to light the fires, surprising for such a huge V-twin. Most bikes, injected or carbureted, need a super rich 5-8% Carbon Monoxide to get up and running. Within two minutes of warm up time, the engine control unit says <that'e enough for you> and drops the Carbon Monoxide like a light switch to a really lean 0.8 %. At 8/10 of one percent, which is mere fumes for a big twin and great testimony for Honda technology that the bruiser runs as strong as it does. VTX's are fast motorcycles.

"I have installed DynoJet Power Commanders in three VTX's with baffled straight pipes and they worked out swell. Playing with the buttons on the box, 2.2 percent Carbon Monoxide seemed to be about as rich as it likes to go on the bottom end and midrange. Definitely set up a Power Commander with a gas analyzer. DynoJect includes a CD--om and cable in the kit so that a specific map can be downloaded into the Power Commander from your PC."

This is from Andrew MacDonald a writer from Rider Magazine.

Hope that helps in some small way.
:sw1:

G

·
I forgot to mention that previous to my Goldwing I had a 99 Yamaha Royal Star Venture and it had a REALLY LOUD pop at deceleration. THe fix that seemed to be the best was to plug the AIS system with corks. There were to hoses to plug and when that was done, the pop stopped immediately and never returned. I got this info from fellow Venture owners who had the same problems. Don't know any specifics about VTX engines, but could be another option.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just to follow up on the AIS system comment...

I previously had a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic that popped on decel. I also plugged the AIS hoses to solve the problem. I think the AIS (Air Induction System) is proprietory to Yamaha and may not be on the VTX. It introduces air into the exhaust to burn any unburnt fuel after the exhaust valve. It is a feable attempt at pollution control.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Trent said:
I resently purchased a 2002 VTX 1800 with Cobra Drag Pipes, Great Bike with one problem the top pipe pops allot and loud on deceleration ( only the top pipe). I have read the form about fuel managment systems and programers and followed up with some research but before I jump off and spend some money I thought I would get some input from those that may have had the same problems. Any help would be apreciated.
Hi Trent, I would have to say that you have an extremely lean condition on decel to be causing the pop. Im not real familiar with the VTX but I would assume it is fuel injected, I would have to agree with the other posters here that a new processor with adjustable fuel paramiters would fix it. The only other choice for a fix would be to reinstall the stock exhaust. Any time you change parts cams etc but especially the exhaust you screw up the fuel to air ratio that the stock processor is calibrated for. Good luck. :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Trent said:
First thing to check is the exhaust headers. The fact that it is the rear pipe that is really hard to get to the nuts is a big hint. They need to be torqued several times following changing the pipes. Also, if they are properly torqued to 17 ft-lbs, it could be that the acorn nuts are bottoming out on the studs and not properly compressing the exhaust gaskets. Some have jad to replace the acorn nuts with regular nuts or have added flat washers.

Of course, you should have used new exhaust gaskets with the new pipes. My experience is that decel poping has little to due with changing the fuel management. I have delt with this on both my VTXs and getting the exhaust properly torqued solved the problem with both. My C actually had the problem with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
300 Posts
popping at decel

i have been working on bikes for 10+ years and for what its worth any time a bike has an AIS system and we have to put aftermarket pipes on usually in the directions for rejetting {i know this might not apply due to fuel injection but} all of the jet kits come with provisions to plug the AIS system off..
i had a 2000 and a 2001 suzuki intruder 1500 and both time i put cobras on and jetted both both jet kits come with plugs for the AIS system .if you asked me that would be the best bet for sure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts