GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I will regrett it when it sells but I have lost interest in riding for about the last year.Part of it is I have never really gotten comfortable for any distance before the old backside starts hurting.I know a customised seat would probably help.The other part has to do with watching 2 people die in crashes in front of me in one years time.I like having the SO with me on rides and she seen both of the accidents happen right in front of us.She has not been back on the bike since she seen the last crash.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Buy a Sports Car with the proceeds of the sale. You and your wife will be much happier.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
If you don't "feel it" anymore then you are making the right decision. Best of luck and I hope you have a hobby you are passionate about.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
If you don't "feel it" anymore then you are making the right decision. Best of luck and I hope you have a hobby you are passionate about.
:agree:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking at 2 seat rag tops.I don't know if one is in my future but i'm looking.I like the BMW Z4 but i'm scared of maintenance cost on a beamer.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
My wife stopped riding with me about 8 years back due to a back injury she received at work. When I was hit from behind 3 years back it was the first time I was happy she wasn't with me, I know if she had been on the bike it would have turned out a lot different than it did. Your smart to know when to stop, there are plentty of other things the 2 of you can do together. A shortr time ago we bought a travel trailer and that is something we can do together. I hope to get it out at least once a month for 4 or 5 days, I still have my bike for day rides and my twice a year GUYS ONLY ride.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I don't plan on selling my bike but I do know how you feel. During Rogers Ride-In one of our fellow wingers went down. He was wearing his gear and came out of it with minor injuries. His bike was severely damaged, not sure if it was totalled. In June during SMRI, one of the riders in our group went down on the Cherohala. He sustained a broken leg. A few days later during a group ride on Wayah Road, the winger behind me went down. He and the bike came out of it without a scratch. Later that day we rode to Brasstown Bald and found the entrance blocked by a police car. We learned that a biker had been killed on the road to the top. The next day we were passed by an ambulance and police cars on the Foothills Parkway. When we got to Deal's Gap we learned where they were going...to a crash on the Dragon. My wife was with me and witnessed the crash during the Arkansas ride but none of the others. Seeing three wings down in two months doesn't make me want to give up riding, but it sure is making me more careful, especially with my wife onboard.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have been looking at 2 seat rag tops.I don't know if one is in my future but i'm looking.I like the BMW Z4 but i'm scared of maintenance cost on a beamer.
Congratulations on making a safe and sane decision. If you, and the wife are that worried about riding then you possible would end up being unsafe plus if the fun is all gone then it just makes good sense to move on. One day the time will come for me to.

Loved my BMW Z3 rag top. Problem I had with it is one of the problems you have with the wing. The seat killed me. The lumbar support hit me in the wrong place. Like you said, I could have put in a custom seat but decided not to because I also had a difficult time getting in and out of the thing. Once in it I was fine other than the seat killing me. Of course then again I am not a small person to say the least:oops:

Maintenance was done by me so I don't know how high the cost is to have someone maintain one. Some folks have the Miata on here and they seem to be extremely happy with them. I have not been fortunate enough to try one yet.

Good luck in whatever you do and most of all,, have fun!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
stealth cruiser, if you are considering the BMW Z, then also consider the Porsche Boxter. I had a used one for a couple years and loved it, but it turned out to be not for us so I sold it.

A few years old, they are not that expensive to buy, and they are really not bad to maintain as long as you can find a good local independent repair shop.

The reason we went with the Boxster is we wanted a convertible, it has a power top, pretty roomy inside, but it has TWO trunks, and a LOT of storage space for a 2 seater. And when the top goes down it doesn't intrude at all on the trunk space. MPG? we were getting high 20's all the time on the highway, saw 30 a couple times.

The base model is plenty of fun and affordable, but the S is even more fun.

A removeable hardtop makes it tight and quiet for winter and you can drive them in winter, with the right tires.

A used Saturn or Pontiac 2 seater is also a lot of fun, shouldn't be hard to find anyone to work on it for a few more years, but almost no trunk with the top down. I like the Saturn version for looks.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing to get off the bike for a while, you may decide to get back on in the future, but don't push it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Stealth Cruiser... family comes first and if the SO isn't into it you're making the right choice. None of us are bullet proof. The person who suggested the convertible has your best interests in mind... sounds like a fine compromise!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try a Mustang convertible. I have a 2007 and love it. It is based on the Crown Victoria police car and taxi chassis. About as reliable and long lived as any car out there. Also, a surprisingly comfortable long distance ride.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sometimes you just have to move on. Do it safely. :yes1:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Mustang or Miata

I have much the same problem as you--my seat gets sore. Not the bike's fault. The problem is my genetically "improved" muscles. I don't know about the BMW. I did test drive the Mustang and loved it. Frankly, it drove the way I EXPECTED my Mercedes to drive. I also SAT in the Miata. That little tike was WAY easier to get in and out of than I EVER would have suspected for a roller skate.

When its time to move on, move on. You are wise. Joy in all things.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Cool.......sports cars are fun, just watch out for blue lights. Lol!

The crash thing. My idea on that one.

Every day on the news another is down. Another is dead. I have seen riders in group rides just ride off the side of the road, they fixate on the side of the road and off they go. I have seen riders with a health problem pass out and crash while riding. Seen many things.

I think there are only two unavoidable situations on a bike . One is a deer strike, the other is getting slammed from behind. That is all just lady luck. I fear both.

The rest of it, the daily news, the riders down every day. Well they are not paying attention, taking risks, or have little experience and that big bike gets out of control, they are not familiar with how it will act such as under heavy braking.

But I think any responsible rider, with a defensive mindset, paying attention , not acting the fool, not drunk, not pushing it, and with a couple years under their belt is pretty safe. The main thing is to just pay attention........that is all it takes, mind on the ride, pay attention.

I know that if I run to the mountains by myself, and play, I could go down, I could wash out the front tire.....so rare that I do this anymore. It is called the gradual realization of common sense. ;)

But fear of the ride over things others do, well it is good in one way and harmful in another. Good to use it to learn from but harmful to fear it.

They are simply not paying attention, or acting the fool and darting in and out of traffic, or running way too fast in town with all the side streets and intersections. That attention thing is a killer, only takes a New York second to mess up.

Yesterday afternoon, ran to the flea market to get a booth ticket for my wife, coming back this car made a U turn from the right lane across the left one , through the median etc. But I saw it setting up, I saw the car slow and saw the front tires start to turn, and reacted soon enough to avoid it. You cannot relax, not for a second. Not ride in fear, not be skeered, but you do have to develop a sense of watching them all the time.

I would like to be in a logging truck when someone does that, just push them down the road a few feet. :joke: But even then I would see if there was a child in the car and not do that, but might, if some lone jackass, I would be tempted.

Do not fear the news, or what you hear, avoid group rides because you do bring yourself into contact with the ones who have no experience, but about the worst they will do is smack you from behind or turn across in front of you without looking, so if you are aware they will, then you see that before it happens. In a group ride the attention level is very stressful to me. I never for one second relax in a group ride.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have had some close calls lately and have thought about giving it up. But I just love it too much. We have had quite a few riders go down around here lately, always makes me think. But I am not ready yet. But when I do, I will most likely go for the miata.

·
Registered
123 Posts
pathologist's perspective

Good decision; sounds like you're making a reasoned one for yourself.

However, as a forensic pathologist in a very large jurisdiction I see the worst outcomes of motorcycle crashes every day. Bottom line - I agree with Kit (see above). The majority of crashes (well, at least fatal ones) result from obvious driver error - or driver stupidity. Mostly things I wouldn't expect most wingers to do. But you have to put these things into perspective - learn but not fear.

Anyway, enjoy your next ride:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Try a Mustang convertible. I have a 2007 and love it. It is based on the Crown Victoria police car and taxi chassis. About as reliable and long lived as any car out there. Also, a surprisingly comfortable long distance ride.
Huh? Not even close the same chassis.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts