GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let your iPhone connect to the bike via Bluetooth, then plug it in to start CarPlay and you’ll see the Bluetooth phone connect on the dash go out when CarPlay starts.

Also, Sena’s Mesh 2.0 is their upgraded version and not a new mesh standard like Bluetooth does. While Sena and Cardo have been swapping lead roles over the years, Cardo has maintained the technology lead the last few years. The Sena 50 with mesh 2.0 is the attempt to meet current Cardo technology but it does not exceed it.

Where Sena has maintained their lead is in ergonomics, i.e. the jog dial. Though this has been negated somewhat by the very functional Cardo voice commands.

These systems still do not reliably interact, so choice really comes down to whatever brand your group uses.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Let your iPhone connect to the bike via Bluetooth, then plug it in to start CarPlay and you’ll see the Bluetooth phone connect on the dash go out when CarPlay starts.
That is how it is supposed to work and usually works pretty seamlessly.

However, when I've ran into functional problems, especially when using ACP or the CB, I found that even though the BT phone connect indicator on the bike goes out when I plug the phone into the bike, when I check my Iphone, the bluetooth status shows it still paired with the bike.

Don't know if the data path conflict occurs within the phone or within the bike and doesn't really matter.
Easy fix is to only use one data path by turning off the others on the phone or not connecting the phone to the bike via USB
I never have an issue when
1) I don't have the phone paired directly with the headset and
2) when using ACP or the USB between the phone and bike, I turn off the BT connection between the phone and bike.

Just like tires and oil, everyone has an opinion about what headset is best.
That discussion is not the purpose of this post since the data paths are the same regardless of the headset or phone used.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Not even...... I turn on the bike and it all works, I only need to plug in my helmet to either my 2010 or 2018 and all works. No turn this on, then turn that on then re-pair this, re-pair that.... oops, wrong order - forgot the "treasure map" every time I ride. I ride with someone else with a 2018, has a BT headset, Honda CB, and uses Apple Auto (or whatever they call it) and he does "the hockie pockie" making it all work properly every time he gets on to ride and never turns the bike off for short stops to avoid doing "the hockie pockie" again when we take off again. He also complains about the crap he has to do every time to make it all work properly. Oh yea..... Just a few weeks ago, he ended up going through 3 headsets on a ride due to dead batteries in the headset. And my setup just works because I have turned on the bike.
youre not only wrong, youre missing out on what the bike's capabilities are. what it was designed to do. turn on headsets, turn on bike, plug in phone cord. no umbilical cords necessary, lol. 14 plus hours on the cardos. the only ones doing a hokey pokey dance are the ones that are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never have an issue when
1) I don't have the phone paired directly with the headset
Yep, that’s a key point. Do not pair the phone to the headset. For some Cardo and Sena app settings it is necessary to have the phone paired. So pair the phone to the headset, adjust whatever settings are needed, then delete the pairing.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep, that’s a key point. Do not pair the phone to the headset.
Unless you choose to run an app on your phone whose signals won't be routed through the bike, such as the CoPilot app.

In that case, pair the phone with the headset and don't connect the phone to the bike via bluetooth or USB.

Really an "either/or"

Choice 1 - connect phone to bike (USB or BT) or connect phone to headset - choose either / or
if choosing to connect phone to bike
Choice 2 - connect phone to bike via USB or connect phone to bike via BT

·
Registered
253 Posts
Setting up my new GW and having Android Auto fits with my Cardo. The Cardo fades GPS guidance in. The net effect is that I can't hear the first three seconds on any prompt. My setup is GW paired to Cardo BT channel 1 (the Cardo calls it "Phone 1"), cell phone (a Google Pixel 4) to BT2 ("Phone 2").

It's not clear to me there's any way to defeat this and I'm waiting to hear back from Cardo. Does anyone know if the Sena 50's do this?

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Cardo fades GPS guidance in. The net effect is that I can't hear the first three seconds on any prompt.

It's not clear to me there's any way to defeat this and I'm waiting to hear back from Cardo. Does anyone know if the Sena 50's do this?
The Cardo "fade" is a well known problem - several other threads out there that discuss it.
There is no easy fix for the Cardo "fade"

Sena's don't do the fade, they cut straight over.

If you have a CB, regardless of headset manufacturer, always wait one second after pulling the talk switch before speaking

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Setting up my new GW and having Android Auto fits with my Cardo. The Cardo fades GPS guidance in. The net effect is that I can't hear the first three seconds on any prompt. My setup is GW paired to Cardo BT channel 1 (the Cardo calls it "Phone 1"), cell phone (a Google Pixel 4) to BT2 ("Phone 2").

go into the cardo app on your phone and change the setting. music mutes while instructions are given. play with that setting

·
Registered
253 Posts
go into the cardo app on your phone and change the setting. music mutes while instructions are given. play with that setting
It's not quite that simple. I posted this in another thread but what I had to do is repair the Cardo. After getting it (the Cardo) into pairing mode, you have to roll the jog wheel forward. This tells it the device (in this case the motorcycle) is a GPS. That makes the Cardo sharply cut and resume the music for GPS commands. It's not quite perfect, now I only lose the first couple of letters unlike before where I lost the first few words.

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
147 Posts
I have an issue hearing phone calls on my '21. I have an Samsung S7 BT to the bike. Headsets are Sena Spider ST1's and BT to the bike as rider/passenger. Music/Navigation works well through the headset. I can hear the phone ring in my headset and see it on the dash, but when I accept it I get nothing. NO sound. It does the same thing when I make a call. I have the privacy mode unchecked.

The phone works through the ST1 when paired with it, but I want the wife to hear phone calls also when our daughter calls us and we are out on the road. When phone is paired with the ST1 and the bike at the same time, I can answer through the ST1 and the bike sees the information, I am able to hear/be heard but the passenger is not included in the conversation. What am I doing wrong? Is this a Honda problem? Is this a ST1 problem?

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I can hear the phone ring in my headset and see it on the dash, but when I accept it I get nothing. NO sound.

...I can answer through the ST1 and the bike sees the information, I am able to hear/be heard...

I am able to hear/be heard but the passenger is not included in the conversation.
Doug
Sounds like two issues.
1) No phone audio routed to/from headset -
However, you later state that you are able to be hear and be heard in phone calls that are routing through the bike
"...I can answer through the ST1 and the bike sees the information, I am able to hear/be heard..."

No idea why the phone audio is not routing to/from the rider phone to/from the rider headset.

Since that isn't an issue with other headsets and the bike, I would first assume it is a start up or headset issue before considering it a bike issue.
a) Have you defined a start up sequence that enables all capabilities to work and rigorously follow it every time? If not, suggest doing that to see if it resolves the loss of phone audio
b) were you using BT or USB for your phone connection. Try both and see what happens, that way you can further eliminate different configurations. After doing so, and if defining your start up sequence still hasn't cleared up dropped calls,then contact Sena first for help.
Finally, keep in mind that it could also be your cell service carrier failing to route the audio . That can happen if your phone is shifting cell tower connections as the phone call starts or for a myriad of other reasons that you can't see.

2) Rider - Passenger Conference Phone Call - What you are wanting to do is not a capability of the bike that I could find in the audio/nav instructions. I think a) the riders phone is paired to the bike and routes ONLY to the rider's headset.

Conference calling, which is what you are wanting to do, is a feature of the phones not the bike. To get a conference call that has both the rider and passenger, you will have to have one of the two folks on the call add the third person using their phone's conference call feature - just like you would off the bike.

Thanks for the 2nd topic - I'll update the diagrams to show that the rider phone and app audio does not route to the passenger.

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
147 Posts
Doug
Sounds like two issues.
1) No phone audio routed to/from headset -
However, you later state that you are able to be hear and be heard in phone calls that are routing through the bike
"...I can answer through the ST1 and the bike sees the information, I am able to hear/be heard..."

No idea why the phone audio is not routing to/from the rider phone to/from the rider headset.

Since that isn't an issue with other headsets and the bike, I would first assume it is a start up or headset issue before considering it a bike issue.
a) Have you defined a start up sequence that enables all capabilities to work and rigorously follow it every time? If not, suggest doing that to see if it resolves the loss of phone audio
b) were you using BT or USB for your phone connection. Try both and see what happens, that way you can further eliminate different configurations. After doing so, and if defining your start up sequence still hasn't cleared up dropped calls,then contact Sena first for help.
Finally, keep in mind that it could also be your cell service carrier failing to route the audio . That can happen if your phone is shifting cell tower connections as the phone call starts or for a myriad of other reasons that you can't see.

2) Rider - Passenger Conference Phone Call - What you are wanting to do is not a capability of the bike that I could find in the audio/nav instructions. I think a) the riders phone is paired to the bike and routes ONLY to the rider's headset.

Conference calling, which is what you are wanting to do, is a feature of the phones not the bike. To get a conference call that has both the rider and passenger, you will have to have one of the two folks on the call add the third person using their phone's conference call feature - just like you would off the bike.

Thanks for the 2nd topic - I'll update the diagrams to show that the rider phone and app audio does not route to the passenger.
Thanks for the reply.
All startup issues are taken care of....I make sure both headsets hear the radio before doing anything else. Then I turn on the Mesh intercom and make sure we both can hear each other. With the radio playing and mesh initiated, when we talk to each other, the radio mutes while we talk. So I know the bike is "listening" to us.

A call comes in.....WE hear the ringing of the phone and see the display.....and when I answer (either with the Enter button or the Voice button) the phone picks up and....nothing. We can't even hear each other. It also does the "nothing" with only my headset paired to the bike. The only time I can hear/be heard no matter the setup is when I answer through the ST1. Even though the bike sees the call answered, the ST1 is where the talking is being done and it is a "private" conversation.

As I look at the GW Manual, it states that you can enable/disable privacy mode for phone calls. This tells me that if using the bike for the calls, the passenger can hear/talk also unless I have privacy enabled (which I don't).

I am using BT to the bike as I wear my phone on my hip. I will try the USB and unpair the phone from the bike. The ST1's don't BT to each other, just mesh. I know the ST1's are only a few months old, but thought the technology would be better for the setup. I use Verizon for cell service.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It's not quite that simple. I posted this in another thread but what I had to do is repair the Cardo. After getting it (the Cardo) into pairing mode, you have to roll the jog wheel forward. This tells it the device (in this case the motorcycle) is a GPS. That makes the Cardo sharply cut and resume the music for GPS commands. It's not quite perfect, now I only lose the first couple of letters unlike before where I lost the first few words.
ahh, my phone is connected via the gps channel

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
As I look at the GW Manual, it states that you can enable/disable privacy mode for phone calls. This tells me that if using the bike for the calls, the passenger can hear/talk also unless I have privacy enabled (which I don't).
For call audio not getting through - Not sure if you are still pairing your phone to the headset or not. If you are still pairing your phone to the headset, turn phone to headset pairing off and always leave it off except when you need to configure your headsets. When you need to configure your headsets, only turn pairing between the phone and headset on long enough to configure the headset then turn that particular pairing off again. I just delete the pairing between my phone and headset on my phone so I don't have to mess with it each time I ride. I have only had to re-pair the phone and headsets once in the past year - that was due to a software update for the headset.

Privacy mode just means you are not taking calls. When privacy mode is turned on, the bike tells the phone to automatically decline to answer any call. When it is turned off, the bike tells the phone to route calls to you.
Privacy mode does not turn on or off a rider - passenger conference call capability.

I've asked my dealership to ask Honda if there is a rider-passenger conference call capability built into the bike - if the bike can route calls from the rider's phone to both the rider and passenger simultaneously. Still awaiting response from Honda. I suspect that answer will be "There is no conference call capability"

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
With the radio playing and mesh initiated, when we talk to each other, the radio mutes while we talk. So I know the bike is "listening" to us.
Actually, that is the headsets "listening" for a higher priority input not the bike. The headsets have a priority scheme for different protocols and sources- think of them as languages and places. Headset to headset intercom is higher priority than music. So when your passenger starts talking on the intercom, her headset (the place) sends a message to your headset saying have intercom traffic. Your headset sees a message from a high priority place (the other headset) and that the language of the message is a higher priority language than music so it shuts the music off or dims the music volume.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A call comes in.....WE hear the ringing of the phone and see the display.....
It is interesting that you both can hear the call coming in.

Do you have both headsets paired to the same phone and the pairings are active when the phone is paired to the bike?

I'm going to run a test with my passenger later this week. She does not remember ever hearing my phone ring while we are out riding.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Actually, that is the headsets "listening" for a higher priority input not the bike.
Here is Section 9 of your Sena ST1 User's Manual
9. FUNCTION PRIORITY
The headset prioritizes connected devices in the following order:
(highest) Mobile phone
Mesh Intercom
Music sharing via Bluetooth stereo
(lowest) Bluetooth stereo music
A lower-priority function gets interrupted by a higher-priority function.
For example, stereo music will be interrupted by an incoming mobile
phone call.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts