GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today decision made and papers signed. Our '08 wing will be triked in a couple months, CSC. Traded in our snowmobiles. We have been snowmobiling since '82. It was hard driving away and leaving the sleds and trailer. I'm sure I'm going to be posting questions here. I'll try not to be too bothersome. Since I just put two new E3's on in June I think I will leave the front tire on at first and see how it goes. We didn't go with the ground effects boards or aux fuel tank. We did go with the brake upgrade and rake.

·
Registered
243 Posts
:congrats: on your decision to become a member of the three wheel family. It'll be different going from two wheels to three, but once you get a few miles under your belt you'll not look back. I don't know one person that's regretted making the change. I will tell you this, those two months are going to drag out forever. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congrats and post away. Make sure to put up some pics when you get her back.:thumbup:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Today decision made and papers signed. Our '08 wing will be triked in a couple months, CSC. Traded in our snowmobiles. We have been snowmobiling since '82. It was hard driving away and leaving the sleds and trailer. I'm sure I'm going to be posting questions here. I'll try not to be too bothersome. Since I just put two new E3's on in June I think I will leave the front tire on at first and see how it goes. We didn't go with the ground effects boards or aux fuel tank. We did go with the brake upgrade and rake.
Pros and Cons on the boards! I got them for one reason. Mine are weight bearing and I hate the foot/leg position on the OEM pegs! Took them off and now can move my feet/legs around onb the boards. Best thing I've done for LD comfort!
Also, since you didn't get the boards, make sure you get some kind of protection applied to all the forward facing surfaces of the trike body(Stone Guard or bed liner coating). If not, you will soon have many chips in the paint!
Baker trike Wings will help but, not completely protect.
Should be no problem leaving the front tire on. After my front finally wore out, I reverse rotation mounted a Stone BT45 @ 41psi. 7K so far and it still looks new.
Keep us updated on the progess. Tell your installer to take a lot of pics during the tear down and install for you. Give him your camera, if you want to!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome to the three world. +1 on the you'll love it once your used to it. I also agree on the rethink the aux tank decision. Especially if you do any long distance or ride with 2 wheelers. It will give you about the same range you had as a 2 wheeler, maybe a tad more. It makes up for the mileage loss when converting. You might also consider the parking brake, not necessary but a nice convenience if you park where there are slopes. You won't have a side stand or center stand to hold the bike from rolling. Or have to depend on the engine to hold her from rolling. I wish I had one. Stone guard protection of some kind is a necessity. :thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! We did go with the clear fender protection. I do have the full set of Baker Wings. Will rethink the aux fuel tank. I'm guessing the snow may be flying before it's all done. They will store it all winter at no charge if we want them to.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Welcome!!!!:congrats: I have the floor boards and love them. I would not be without the aux fuel. It is a pain to put in later. Do not ask me how I know.:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Couple points for your consideration.
The usual stone gard applied does not cover all of the forward facing surfaces of the fenders! I made sure I had "extra" applied.
I can still go 200 miles on a tank of gas without the aux. tank. That is usually more than I go before I need a rest stop.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dawg is correct. If you can get them to neatly install the stone guard in the area to the inside of the fenders where it curves in to the body, would be a big benefit. I have some hefty chips in that area. But watch for seaming the stone guard it holds wax and leaves white lines. It takes a person with knowledge and skill to do a good job forming that stuff around curves.

As for distance, of course that varies, but I can go about 250 miles on a fill up. That is usually highway mileage, keeping it about 3200 rpm or less. Like Dawg here though, my ass runs out before the gas. And I don't like to get below 1/4 tank if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wanting to stop... and having to stop are to totally different sit-e-ations ...

Next to the third wheel the aux. gas tank was the best addition....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Welcome to three wheels. Ask away, we all learn from each other. My trike does not have an extra gas tank. I wish it did. Saturday I got caught in a driving rain storm in Houston. I did not fill up before putting the bike away for the night as I was soaked to the skin. Next morning, Sunday we left the hotel early to come home. It was pouring again. I was under 1/4 tank and could not find for 30 minutes an open gas station on 290 North in Houston. Soaking wet and frustrated for not filling up the night before I did find an open station, but do not like to be that low on fuel.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Congratulations Parrothead!!!:coffee1:

Next to PowerTrack (EZSteer) I like the Aux tank best. I like the choice of where I have to refill and it gets me closer to where 2 wheelers refill. I still ride with them and don't want to be the one who always has to stop for fuel.

May u have many miles of smiles!:lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is my take when I triked mine last year.

The first 100 miles I thought "What the Hell did I do to my Wing!!"

The next 100 miles I thought, "Well, I suppose I can live with it".

After that I thought,"Why did I wait so long to do this!"

I love mine and wouldn't go back to 2 wheels now. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Here is my take when I triked mine last year.

The first 100 miles I thought "What the Hell did I do to my Wing!!"

The next 100 miles I thought, "Well, I suppose I can live with it".

After that I thought,"Why did I wait so long to do this!"

I love mine and wouldn't go back to 2 wheels now. Good luck with your decision.

Jim, Ha ha, after ten miles on my '02 when I triked it in '05, I stopped and cried. After 65 mile trip home, I said, as you did, I can live with it...too late to do anything about it. After 300 miles, I loved it. After 61K, I bought a Spyder.

I love both of them.

Sure is a beautiful CSC.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Parrothead,
I bet it feels like a large weight has been taken off of you by coming to a decision. Having had both a Champion with no aux. fuel tank, and a Hannigan with one, I'd never be without one. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the safety factor with having one. When your on a long trip, in unfamiliar territory, you just don't know where your next gas station wiil show up, or not. So just think about it. It's your decision and your money. It's going to be a long winter for you. It's nice your installer will store it for you for "free". Give it a thousand miles before you wonder if you lost your mind.
Welcome:thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
253 Posts
triked out

Cant agree with all who said they would never go back after triking. I've had three bikes since I triked the wing, I currently have the 03 trike and an 03 Valkyrie. Ride the Valk every chance I get. Trike is strictly for the wife. Trike no can do what A bike does, for me, when I ride. Do appreciate not falling over with the Wife aboard, but that's about it. Oh yes and the sand in corners, gravel, dirt roads LOL. I guess I really like them both.
Chuckie

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Parrothead, please excuse me for I do not wish to hi-jack your thread.............but DiamondJim, that is one purrrrty trike. Why don't you clean it up ever now and then? LOL! Seriously, it's gorgeous! Those covers look great on the seats.

Now Parrothead, the world's not going to come to an end if you don't do as has been suggested. We're all different, and we all have different needs for our trikes. I've only needed my auxillary tank twice....I mean really, really needed it, and it was there. Now, was that need worth the $600 cost? Looking back, "Yes"!

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, George and Wayne. I will try to keep it a little cleaner when I get a chance!!
That is a Tom Simmons Seat from Fayetteville, AR. It is by far the best seat I have had on any bike and that covers a lot of miles and a lot of different bikes. I am not affiliated with Tom, just one of the good guys who does great work. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, George and Wayne. I will try to keep it a little cleaner when I get a chance!!
That is a Tom Simmons Seat from Fayetteville, AR. It is by far the best seat I have had on any bike and that covers a lot of miles and a lot of different bikes. I am not affiliated with Tom, just one of the good guys who does great work. Ride Safe!
Jim, is the seat a complete restore, or a cover? There's a couple just south of Nashville who travel the rally circuit and provide a similar looking cover. Whichever, I like it!

Sorry Parrothead for breaking into your thread.

Ride safe,

Wayne

1 - 20 of 25 Posts