GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 GL1800 with 17K on it. The mileage is 60/40 city/open road riding. I was getting 40 MPG until July of this last summer. Since then I have gotten about 2 MPG less with each tank. I'm now at 30 MPG per tank. I have changed my riding style by upping the RPMs as I shift, I have done the, idel until the fans come on, for the re-set of that sensor, I have run on the open road at 70+ MPH for 40 minutes or more a few times, I have added the Marvelous Miracle Oil to my gas a few tanks, and I only use Chevron gas. This has been to no positive change in my MPG. If it has to do with my O2 sensor, or the fuel injectors, or the fuel filter do you think it is covered under warranty?
Thanks,

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Fuel filter on a GL1800? Let me know when you find one. LOL

I would suspect the 02 sensors as well. Did you get the recall done? Probably NOT!

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
At 17K miles, it is time for both an air filter and spark plug change. I would try that first since you are due for them anyway, and see if that doesn't help.

Also, be aware that many locations started switching gas formulations to 10% ethanol right around July this year, and that could possibly account for some of it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm with Fred, you are due for air filter and plugs. Also don't forget that it is this time of year that most gas companies start selling winter gas which will reduce your mileage and one more point, as the temps drop so will your gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Lyonl - That drastic of a change is most alarming and I would not wait to find out what is causing it.

For years I have tried to stick with Chevron as I felt that its quality and consistancy were higher than most of the other brands. That applied to both my bike and the autos. About two months ago, I started having problems in my Jeep Wagoneer with it pinging. I switched to Shell and the problem went away. I also noticed that a large number of local Chevron gas stations changed over to other brands. I now use Shell, Mobil, and Exxon and only pull into a Chevron if that is all the choice I have (or the only other choice is one of those whose name I have never heard of before).

I had been told by people that all the gas really comes from the same source and they just put different additives and coloration depending on where it would be sold. Maybe that is true, but I have my doubts. If I want to destroy a vehicle, I will start using Arco gas. I think those people water down their gas to make more profit. :lol:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO most gasolines are pretty close to the same.. i think gasoline is
one of the most regulated commodities we use..

cosmic

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I recently discovered that when I filled up my car at the gas station near my house I got 26.25 mpg. When I filled up at another station I got 29.25 mpg.
Consistantly.
Then I realized that when I filled up at the station near my house the car took more gas than the tank holds.
Hmmmmm. Not an honest pump in the house there.
Just food for thought.

Also, why put Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas? I went to HS with a guy who's dad invented the stuff; it's got graphite in it. It's great for loosening rusty bolts and I knew plenty of folks who loved it in the old lead-burners, but your Goldwing? I don't think Honda would like you throwing that stuff in your tank; don't tell your service rep that you use it.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Run a good dose of Sea Foam through it. It will also clean the 02 sensor some. I use it regularly especially if going on a long run, once a month is good.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Repace an air filter at 16K? Not. That's one thing on the maintenance schedule that is WAY too early IMHO.
I'll take a look at it at 40K.
I have over 25K on my '02 (I know, not a lot of miles) and I did replace the plugs and brake fluid at 16K...not the air filter.
Brake fluid needed it, plugs did not.

I'm still getting 40-42 (Honda miles) to the gallon on the highway, and 38-40 in town.

I suspect another culprit, but certainly not plugs or air filter.

JMHO of course! :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Lyonl, mice ---- Mice can build a nest in the intake/filter area.
galewing

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I recently discovered that when I filled up my car at the gas station near my house I got 26.25 mpg. When I filled up at another station I got 29.25 mpg.
Consistantly.
Then I realized that when I filled up at the station near my house the car took more gas than the tank holds.
Hmmmmm. Not an honest pump in the house there.
Just food for thought.

Also, why put Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas? I went to HS with a guy who's dad invented the stuff; it's got graphite in it. It's great for loosening rusty bolts and I knew plenty of folks who loved it in the old lead-burners, but your Goldwing? I don't think Honda would like you throwing that stuff in your tank; don't tell your service rep that you use it.
Bill,
If I recall correctly, gas pumps are inspected (in GA) by the Dept of Agriculture and there should be an inspection sticker on each pump. Also, Agriculture would be where to file a complaint about that station/pump. :wink:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I'm also a fan of Sea Foam, I use it in every engine I have. It's also a great stabilizer for winter storgage

KJ5IX said:
Run a good dose of Sea Foam through it. It will also clean the 02 sensor some. I use it regularly especially if going on a long run, once a month is good.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Rob(in S.C.) said:
Repace an air filter at 16K? Not. That's one thing on the maintenance schedule that is WAY too early IMHO.
I'll take a look at it at 40K.
Your mileage will vary. Mine was clogging at 12K. Really depends on where you ride, no harm in going in to check it ...
I suspect another culprit, but certainly not plugs or air filter.
I recently did the 32K service, regapping the plugs which were replaced at 16K took me from 31MPG in the city back to 36MPG.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I waited for 40,000 miles for air filter change, I won't do that again. 25,000 tops. I couldn't believe how full of crap it was and it is all highway miles. We consistantly get 40 mpg two up, of course that is off because of the speedo error that is built in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wher do you get this Sea Foam ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just about any auto parts store - Murrys for sure - it bt the carb cleaners

750valk

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I could change my air filter every 10k miles and it would still need it. Mine is dirty as crap at 10k miles. Do what Fred says, It cant hurt. Remember one thing....... Everytime you get that engine above 3k RPMS, the gas is really gonna start going down. SUre wish we had another gear.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I changed my air filter at 15,000 and it needed to be changed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts