GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local body shop owner hit a dog on hwy 183 in Iowa north of council bluffs he died, the dog died. A tragedy to be sure. Please be careful out there. BTW it was a german shepard, a rather large dog. If you are a dog owner please try to keep them out of the road. I hit a dog in June, killed the dog I almost went into a deep ditch.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YOU killed fluffy?
He ran right into me. I was coming around a curve, a gal was jogging the dog was at her side, the dog ran into me, actually the right hand engine guard. I went back and drug the dog off the road, she was frantic said it wasnt her dog. The gal that owned the dog came out and said she knew it was going to get killed as it kept going into the road. I mumbled something about dog owners and responsibility and left. Washed the stuff off the bike at a car wash, pulled undershort, and seat outta my rear end..

I was shook up and sorry about the whole thing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wild life always seem to make there way onto the roadways...we have all killed some kind of animal at sometime...me personally I think i just need to hit a water buffalo and I've completed a full cycle "circle of life kinda thing" everthing from dogs, cats to armadillo, and those giant rats (possumm) that roam the nights like nomads.... :shock:

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I just missed hitting a full grown Canadian Goose on Tuesday. I was driving along side, actually passing, a semi who was in the right lane of the expressway, and I was in the left lane. All of a sudden I see something come from in front of the semi and land in the middle of my lane. Thought is was a piece of road debris or trash of some sort. I aimed to avoid it to the left, not wanting to get any closer to the semi. When I'm only about 100 feet away, it starts to move. Too late for me to take additional evasive action. Note: it doesn't take long to cover 100 feet at 70MPH. Only then did I see what it was. It was a goose that had been injured, but I don't think by the semi. Anyway, by that time it looked about as big as a bear. It them moved, flopped into my line of travel. Major pucker time. Fortunately it continued to move or flop to the left of my path of travel. I probably missed it by no more than 12 to 18 inches. WOW was that scary. Actually at the time, it happened to fast to be scared. Just hung on real tight. As I thought about it later, I got a few additional pucker twinges. Guess it wasn't my time or the goose's.

Be careful out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts