GL1800Riders Forums banner

Has anyone , using a deer "whistle" device, ever been hit by a deer?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
On bikes none. In cars and pickups, 5 times over the years.
All but one caused major damage. Any of the five would have been disasterous on a bike.
:rat: Bake

·
Registered
74 Posts
Deer whistles

I had a "damm near" on the Blue Ridge Parkway on my scooter in September. Pucker Factor = 10

I haven't put deer whistle on this one yet-had 'em on my Yam Venture and no "encounters.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
My 1992 SE was a deer slayer. bought it down Neosho way. Had it for 3 years and 75,000 miles. I remember the tech that put it together said he had whistles on. There was some testing done by a College recently that stated the range these whistles operate in are not in the range deer hear so Im not sure what your poll is aimed at. I do know that when startled deer run in whatever direction they are pointed in. Last summer my wife and I were going home on our non paved road with the radio up loud, a deer jumped out of the ditch about 5 feet in front of me. I was going real slow anyways so it wasnt hard to miss, when it jumped gravel hit my boots from the deers hooves. Real pucker factor there. My wife has hit 2 and I have hit 1 in the last 6 months, actually they ran into the sides of our trucks. Tomorrow we in Iowa get to even things up :) time to hunt bambis dad if you get my drift.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Direction of Deer Travel....

In response to "I do know that when startled, deer run in whatever direction they are pointed in", is not a true statement. As an avid hunter and student of deer activity for 30 years, I have learned and read, that deer when startled or spooked, will return back the same path that they just came from. It is surmised that since they were safe coming from that direction they return to where they felt safe. If you would have been able to observe the deers route of travel you would probably have witnessed the deer cross the road and when your vehicle scares them they go BACK ACROSS that same road and up the same path they came down. I have witnessed this many times in hunting. Another thing is when they are spooked they will drop down in the front and spin in the direction of what ever noise or movement scared them. This is why so many deer are hit in the front part of the body in vehicle deer collisons. Just a bit of information.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Deer whistles....

I have had a few deer jump out in front of me prior to using deer whistles. I have also hit two dogs prior (one car, one bike). Since applying the $15 angle adjustable deer whistles, I have only had one animal of any sort in the road in front of me in headlight range. That fox was also standing in the lane and its only movement was to leave the road upon my approach. Countless creatures have paused or altered direction only to cross immediately after I passed. Many claim that deer whistles do not work...... If they only have a 1% gain over most creatures that "cross the road", I will take that 1% gain and call it worth the $15. Another note: if you have them, your awareness of creature crossings must be the same as if you do not have them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm not going to regurgitate all the studies that show they're only good for making money for the makers and the sellers .... I'll just ask a question to make you think.
All the animals we hit with bike, car, truck or whatever, operate by experience and instinct. Instinct is something bred into them over eons,
What ... before the last 40 years or so ... would they ever have encountered that moves at the speeds our vehicles run at? Every instinct these animals have is honed to getting away from wolves, cougars and the like.
So, now ... the question ... whether you let them know you're coming by some means that (hopefully) works to alert them .... WHAT makes you think they will be able to react in the time they have left???

Moral (IMO) ... Ride Safe! :lol: 8) :lol:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Mr. Paupton

you posted a reply to my post:
In response to "I do know that when startled, deer run in whatever direction they are pointed in", is not a true statement.

I also hunt deer here in Iowa and Nebraska and have witnessed this many times, specially around vehicles. I have had deer jump right into my path out of the ditch when my radio was up loud. Should we say that deer have a mind of their own and can act in unpredictable ways at any time :) I have hit (actually they ran right into my truck) 2 this year alone. This also happened to my wife just last month. Ran right into the side of her truck.

Last summer I was passing a car on my Wing and had a deer run into the road, the car I was passing hit the deer and it spun past me on my left. A guy in a car behind me said I hit the deer as well but I could not find any damage to the bike. The deer on the other hand got a ride home in the back of someones pickup. :) Good luck on your hunting, this has been a good year around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts