GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an afternoon ride yesterday on a secondary road I spotted a deer off to my left. We were just entering a sweeping curve to the right at 55 mph. I live in an area with a high deer population and am aware their movement is often unpredictable. The road had a broad steep ditch and was bordered by woods on both sides. The deer started running diagonally through the ditch in the direction I was traveling. I immediately started to slow my speed to give the deer plenty of room to cross in front of me. I was using my engineering background to do quick mental calculations of the angle of approach and the point of intersection (lol). As the deer approached the center-line of the road, she must have decided it was too much bother to go around me, so instead she decided to go over me. As she left the ground she stretched her two front legs forward and tucked her right rear leg up to her chest. The rear left leg extended down and back. As she went by, I heard her left rear foot strike something but it didn't affect the stability of the bike. I did get a really close up view of the deer. A quick stop to inspect the bike showed just a little scuff on the fender. Guess I will have to do a little polishing today. Ride safe out there and look out for critters.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I remember one time back in the early to mid 70's i was riding at night mid summer and the ditch grasses were about 3' high. This doe and her 2 fawns popped out of the ditch and were coming across the highway and no stopping them or me. I can still hear their hooves clicking on the pavement to this day. I braced for impact not knowing if it would be me T boning them or them T boning me. Wasn't time to swerve, stop, or get scared.
I felt the left side rear of the bike move to the right and heard the rear tire chirp. Kept it upright and continued on my way home. Once getting there i pulled into the garage to check it out and there was blood on my rear luggage rack and on the left side muffler. Guessing the doe hit the luggage rack with her mouth but can't say for sure but she definitely hit me.
Thank God for Guardian Angels!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Had one cross about 10 yds ahead of me on RT 28 just south of Bryson City last fall. I saw her coming out of the corner of my eye and had started to slow down. Got my attention real fast.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
On an afternoon ride yesterday on a secondary road I spotted a deer off to my left. We were just entering a sweeping curve to the right at 55 mph. I live in an area with a high deer population and am aware their movement is often unpredictable.
I had a similar experience last Sunday. Normally, I like to loaf around between 50-55 mph on these type of roads, 80% of my riding. I got the urge to tear it up a bit and took one of those 30 mph curves at 60, and then after coming out of the second curve, there was a deer standing on the side of the road. She didn't move, but I had to stand the bike upright quick and get on the brakes. Just when I starting to have fun.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I remember one time back in the early to mid 70's i was riding at night mid summer and the ditch grasses were about 3' high. This doe and her 2 fawns popped out of the ditch and were coming across the highway and no stopping them or me. I can still hear their hooves clicking on the pavement to this day. ...
You have much, much better hearing than me. Not sure I'd have heard a deer's hooves on asphalt while riding any bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You have much, much better hearing than me. Not sure I'd have heard a deer's hooves on asphalt while riding any bike I've ever had.
I have heard them also.
So far the only deer "contact" made in a non-enclosed vehicle (car/truck) I have experienced was with the snowmobile. It basically leaped over the front and when it landed on the other side of the sled I felt a "tap" thru the handlebars. I believe the tip of the right ski whacked the hoove or ankle as it made its left to right crossing. I figured it was going to broadside me right in the chest before taking me off the machine. It happened so quick, yet in slow motion recall.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A couple years ago my good friend and his wife impacted a Whitetail bigtime. Sunday afternoon, 4 PM, backroad cruising on his Honda 1800. Cruiser attire, no ATGATT. 45 mph and the deer came thru the windshield and cleaned both of them off the bike and dumped them in the road. Airlifted him and hospitalized her. Lots of injured body parts with extensive skin grafts. Good news is that today they are both Fine. Neither will get on a street bike again. I Don't blame them. Here in central NC I ride like there's a Bambi behind every tree ...... because there IS.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That was when i was in my early 20's, Couldn't hear squat nowadays either.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Deer whilstles..... but you have to keep the bugs out of it. I have had many, many, many miles with deer whistles and on most part, animals react different. I have had dogs and deer running towards the road, suddenly make a 90 degree turn to run parallel until I pass to make another 90 and cross the road behind me. In one case, see the car behind me just miss the deer by just a foot or two. Cows grazing have stopped to look up and watch me go by. I have ruined other peoples photo op of animals in various parks like Yellowstone as the deer, elk, bison, or whatever scurry back into the trees as I approach. Several weeks ago, I started noticing that I was not seeing that sort of reaction and looked at my whistles. Both were just loaded with bugs. I must also add that I have hit a deer square in the gut. I could not prove bugs in the whistle as only one whistle was found in pieces, but it is likely. But one deer and no close calls in over 550K miles with deer whistles verses 2 dogs and countless extremely close calls where very heavy braking was required to change the hit to the close call in only 50K miles without deer whistles...... I will hedge the bet with deer whistles. They do have to be mounted so they point directly into the line of travel. Angled up or down changes the tone and its effectiveness. The ones that were designed to set the mounting angle and are removable for cleaning have gotten very hard to find.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think this is a cheap, no down-side step that a rider can take.

However, I do have a word of caution. My first set, I got them on backwards - I had a herd of them chase me for two miles before they got too tired to keep up!:cool:
MN State Patrol did a study years ago with deer whistles on their squad cars and vehicles and came outbwith the report that they were ineffective. Just as many collisions with or w/o. Most whistles are installed in such a way as to be totally out of the airflow and ineffective even if they could have been.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts