GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Two stories to tell. First was last fall, mid day. Had a doe cross infront of me. I braked harf with my 2018 wing. She made it across in front of me , but at the last mila-second the front tire caught her back hoove and spun her a little sideways. That was too close for comfort.
Second story. My old boss put deer whistles on his car. His wife would drive the car to and from work. Couple days later he tells how his wife was driving home and saw a deer standing on the edge of the road. She proceeds to speed up to 50 mph and passes by the deer. He asked to why she sped up and her reply was the package said they were not effective under 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Some friend were riding home one night husband and wife on one bike. They were 1/2 mile from there house running about 30 mph when a deer jumped out of the woods on their left side running alongside of the bike and all of a sudden jumped up over the bike knocking the husband off into the ditch leaving the wife on backseat without a driver and causing the bike to go down in the ditch dumping her off the bike. She had some bruises and scuffs but he had broken ribs, leg and scuffed up. The ribs were broke from the deer kicking him. The leg was damaged from the fall. They were lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
The only people that get help from deer whistles are the folks that invented them they made a fortune ! The whistles have been proven to be 100% useless for preventing deer accidents.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Used to live in Upstate NY along Sacandaga Lake, and people fed the deer, thinking they were cute. It was nothing to see herds of 30-40 at a time, especially near these houses. They came from miles to eat, though, and there were deer in the roads every single day.

The only thing that works for me so far is honking the horn in a random pattern of long and short blasts. Flashing lights do nothing, deer whistles do nothing (they are a constant tone) and beeping the horn rhythmically does nothing. I've had the opportunity to test this out hundreds of times.

The random thing so far works, I know, I know, until it doesn't. But I tried it again yesterday morning, left the house at deer o'clock in western NC and met a deer within 5 miles. Flashed lights, nothing. Long blast on horn, nothing, random beeps, it took off immediately.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Given their research experience, the Georgia-based researchers concluded the following: “Considering the challenges of producing sound at appropriate intensities and distances from a moving vehicle, deer hearing capabilities, human safety concerns, and our observed lack of behavioral responses of deer to sound treatments, auditory deterrents do not appear to be appropriate for prevention of deer-vehicle collisions.”

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My experience with deer whistles is a total opposite of what so-called research says about them from others claiming them to be 100% useless. If they are full of bugs and dirt, then yes, they will be 100% useless. But keeping them unplugged, you will be given an advantage. Even a 2% advantage is still an advantage, however my experience is far more than 2%. I will continue to put them on every vehicle I have that can sustain speeds over 35 MPH. Besides, actual studies that I have read concerning deer whistles that fully documented results with video during the double blind study has proven them to be an advantage to have. "So called" studies that claimed "in-effective" were obviously designed to fail the effectiveness of the whistles and provided no real evidence for anything except the writers desire to debunk deer whistles. One of the "they don't work" articles I read made it easier to believe that a Prince was going to give me half of his billion dollar fortune if I immediatly sent him $1,000 via Western Union at my earliest convenience.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you read up on the hearing capabilities of deer you will find that they don't hear high frequency "whistle" type sounds. They hear much the same sound frequency as humans except much more sensitive on picking up low volume sounds. Not like dogs where training whistles are useful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On an afternoon ride yesterday on a secondary road I spotted a deer off to my left. We were just entering a sweeping curve to the right at 55 mph. I live in an area with a high deer population and am aware their movement is often unpredictable. The road had a broad steep ditch and was bordered by woods on both sides. The deer started running diagonally through the ditch in the direction I was traveling. I immediately started to slow my speed to give the deer plenty of room to cross in front of me. I was using my engineering background to do quick mental calculations of the angle of approach and the point of intersection (lol). As the deer approached the center-line of the road, she must have decided it was too much bother to go around me, so instead she decided to go over me. As she left the ground she stretched her two front legs forward and tucked her right rear leg up to her chest. The rear left leg extended down and back. As she went by, I heard her left rear foot strike something but it didn't affect the stability of the bike. I did get a really close up view of the deer. A quick stop to inspect the bike showed just a little scuff on the fender. Guess I will have to do a little polishing today. Ride safe out there and look out for critters.
I have a Trike and the possibility of running into a deer is why I installed seat belts. I know I would cut right through a deer, so my only concern is getting knocked off--not tipping over. I travel at 80 mph at night in deer country. I know the high speed might seem counter intuitive, but by the time the deer have time to react, I'm already past them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About 10 years ago I hit a deer center mass on my wqay to work. I had never seen a deer on that road. Bike and trailer went up over the deer. Only damage was 5 " crack in fairing , 2 perfectly bent forks and a pair of underwear. Didn't realize forks were bent until i had Traxion upgrade done 6 months later.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Glad you are fine. We get deer up in the foothills of the Cascade Mountain west of Seattle and you just don't really know where they're going to go. I always aim to go behind them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts