GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it happens all over, but here in Texas we’ve had 2 deer impact fatalities in the last week. One a BMW rider, who I assume was wearing gear based only on the BMW stereotype. The other was a Harley rider that I assume was not wearing gear based on the Harley stereotype.

Either way, both guys were on fairly large motorcycles, and both sadly died.
I am typically ATGATTed up but I wonder what the circumstances were for each of these poor guys. Would I have faired any better in a similar impact?

We have a lot of deer in Texas, and I scan the side of the road as much as in front of me when riding when they are likely to be moving. Anyone have experience or advice on avoiding a collision with a deer?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know it happens all over, but here in Texas we’ve had 2 deer impact fatalities in the last week. One a BMW rider, who I assume was wearing gear based only on the BMW stereotype. The other was a Harley rider that I assume was not wearing gear based on the Harley stereotype.

I am typically ATGATTed up but I wonder what the circumstances were for each of these poor guys. Would I have faired any better in a similar impact?

We have a lot of deer in Texas, and I scan the side of the road as much as in front of me when riding when they are likely to be moving. Anyone have experience or advice on avoiding a collision with a deer?
I regularly see a BMW rider in my area with no helmet. And I'm a HD rider with full gear including helmets. So, stereotypes can definitely be misleading.

I also live in an area with lots of deer. Ride much more slowly in those areas, especially around dusk and dawn. Deer are unpredictable, and I've had them run in front of me on a few occasions, including one that made a mad sprint from the woods and I didn't see it until quite late.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Deer are pretty much everywhere. I flat out don't ride at dawn or dusk, the most likely times to meet a deer, abd almost never at nigh. And as davenay67 says, I slow down when in a wooded area or where crops like corn are planted close to the road. I don't wear full gear much of the time, but always wear a helmet. Riding a motorcycle means taking a risk and each of us has to decide when that risk is too great to accept.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts

I always try and use brights at night when possible. Either night or day if you see one crossing from left to right in front of you slow down and look back to your left because 99 percent of the time another one or several will be following the one you just saw pass in front of you. I understand the owner at the bent rim in Leakey died a few days ago because of his motorcycle hitting a deer.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I slammed into a deer at 2pm in the afternoon in West Vriginia.

About an hour earlier, we were stopped at an intersection and watched a dozen V-twin riders go by, most in jeans and a t shirt, most two up with spaghetti strap top wearing passengers, most at least a few standard deviations to the right of mean body mass index. We remarked how much skin and blubber would be smeared on the road if they went down.

About 10 minutes after my crash, a guy went by in the other direction wearing shorts and a half helmet. That's all.

I think the deer chose the most ATGATTed guy to commit suicide on since she was a depressed but gentle soul who didn't want to hurt anyone.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I try my best to just not ride at night, but sometimes that just can't be helped. We ride ATGATT all the time and always will as long as we continue to ride. I've come close to having a run in with several deer here in north Texas, but thankfully only close. I've had a close encounter with a coyote here, a mule deer on a curve in Yellowstone, a badger in Wyoming, a Dessert Bighorn sheep in west Texas and a full grown Javalina in west Texas. All just close encounters, thank God. Many of those close encounters were avoided with the help of my faithful co-rider. Four eyes are better than 2, I guarantee!
Advice: Adjust your speed to the circumstances. I slow down at night, when the weeds are tall on the sides of the road and/or when we are in known deer country. Truthfully, I worry more about a collision with a feral hog more than a deer, but have no desire to tangle with either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Must be 10 years or better ago. My friend Putt was riding in Iowa when he was hit by a young deer. Dumbass stuck both front legs into the wheel of the wing and stopped it. Putt and his wife were both geared up, he hit hard and she hit harder. He had broken ribs but she shattered her pelvis. 4 days later they decided it was time to get him out of bed in the hospital. A nurse under each arm he walked down the hall. A blood clot broke loose and made him dead before they could even get a doctor there...

Forest rats.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
Anyone have experience or advice on avoiding a collision with a deer?
Pipe all you music through your rear speakers, and crank it up loud.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My wife and I were pretty luck, we were riding on CA3 between Yreka and Weaverville California on a weekend ride, just before we reached the summit at Scott Mountain and deer seemed to just appear out of nowhere. I was doing 45-50 mph and hit the deer, struck her in the hindquarters and she spun around and went under the right side of the bike. The bike jerked to the left but I was able to keep it upright, pulled over at the top of the hill, which was about 100 yards up the road at Mt. Scott campground, had to regain my composure and check the bike for damage. Well, needless to say there was no damage to the bike except for a little dent on the left side where the hot air vent is. This could have turned out a whole lot worse if I had been going any faster.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Pipe all you music through your rear speakers, and crank it up loud.
I've done the loud speakers thing more than once when night riding west of Cedar City Ut coming from Panaca NV at night. Sometimes I think deer and elk vacation there. Not much traffic on that ol 2 lane so I also honk my horn every few min.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,299 Posts
Beyond standard, ATTGATT safety gear, I don't believe anything will help. Effectively, we're slamming into a wall. The only gear that will save us in a direct deer strike is wearing a car.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Years ago I was in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, watching vintage motorcycle racing.

The guys sitting near us were Coloradans, talking about riding in wildlife infested areas.

Some of them were saying how they would frequently sound the horn of their bike, hoping the noise would alert animals. I thought that’s a pretty good idea, especially on roads that have foliage near the pavement.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,299 Posts
Years ago I was in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, watching vintage motorcycle racing.

The guys sitting near us were Coloradans, talking about riding in wildlife infested areas.

Some of them were saying how they would frequently sound the horn of their bike, hoping the noise would alert animals. I thought that’s a pretty good idea, especially on roads that have foliage near the pavement.

Tim
I spent ten years in northern Florida in a house on a large rural lot. Deer--which have brains the size of walnuts--came through the yard every night. Just my observations: They were never particularly startled or even concerned by loud noise or bright light, and, after watching for a few moments, they quickly decided to ignore my curious black and then yellow labs. What would get their attention--they'd look up and listen. sometimes only for a moment--wax a small, sharp noise. A couple of small, sharp noises in proximity would put them on high alert, and several in a row would send them leaping away in panic. Sharp noise combined with sudden motion, or sudden motion, would stampede them.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
I've done the loud speakers thing more than once when night riding west of Cedar City Ut coming from Panaca NV at night. Sometimes I think deer and elk vacation there. Not much traffic on that ol 2 lane so I also honk my horn every few min.
When I use the loud music thing, I get the feeling it helps. I'm looking for an eyebrow twitch, ear movement ... anything that I might see !!! I discovered it riding Skyline drive as the sun was going down about 10+ years ago. I dealt with more dear on that ride then I'd ever seen at one time. One jumped down from above, and another jumped from below, up and over the gaurd rail. Dear hazards where coming from everywhere. Of coarse the best thing to do is to greatly slow down.

Reactions: igetaround

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,299 Posts
When I use the loud music thing, I get the feeling it helps. I'm looking for an eyebrow twitch, ear movement ... anything that I might see !!! I discovered it riding Skyline drive as the sun was going down about 10+ years ago. I dealt with more dear on that ride then I'd ever seen at one time. One jumped down from above, and another jumped from below, up and over the gaurd rail. Dear hazards where coming from everywhere. Of coarse the best thing to do is to greatly slow down.
The only thing that works is Metallica.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
1 - 20 of 85 Posts