GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Living in the top state for deer collisions, ive always been aware of them, and have taken actions to mitigate the risk. I reduce my speed in deer crossings and limit my riding at dusk and dawn hours, and during rutting and hunting season. But in recent years I guess deer school has been virtual too. They haven't been playing by the rules. They're out all times of day and night, and not only at crossings. They're in urban environments as well as country roads. We've had them run between motorcycles in the group on rides in the middle of the day.

They're everywhere and unpredictable. Frankly I don't know what we as riders can do about it. Mitigation efforts of the past seems not to work today. Whistles and electronic controls don't work. Maybe we can all lobby for year around hunting seasons until their populations are reduced.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Living in the top state for deer collisions, ive always been aware of them, and have taken actions to mitigate the risk. I reduce my speed in deer crossings and limit my riding at dusk and dawn hours, and during rutting and hunting season. But in recent years I guess deer school has been virtual too. They haven't been playing by the rules. They're out all times of day and night, and not only at crossings. They're in urban environments as well as country roads. We've had them run between motorcycles in the group on rides in the middle of the day.

They're everywhere and unpredictable. Frankly I don't know what we as riders can do about it. Mitigation efforts of the past seems not to work today. Whistles and electronic controls don't work. Maybe we can all lobby for year around hunting seasons until their populations are reduced.
They should all be trapped and fitted with gremlin bells.

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe we can all lobby for year around hunting seasons until their populations are reduced.
24/7, 365 is fine by me. I'm no longer a hunter but for those of you that are, go get them. I've had them run across the road in front of me, run behind me and also stand in the middle of the road without a care. Can't count the times I've seen them on the side of interstate roads completely unfazed by noise and traffic.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
My best advice is this, if you have hit more than 2 deer with a car, you are probably not vigilant enough to be riding a motorcycle. Especially at dawn, dusk or night.
I wish it was that simple, not saying being vigilant is not important, but deer strikes happens incredibly quick. Two friends have had deer strikes and neither knew what happened. One was actually ran into the side of by the deer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wish it was that simple, not saying being vigilant is not important, but deer strikes happens incredibly quick. Two friends have had deer strikes and neither knew what happened. One was actually ran into the side of by the deer.
I agree there are cases where nobody can see it coming. I have a former son in law that can hit 2-3 deer a year driving the same roads as the rest of the family. Something tells me it ain't all bad luck.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
In the north, they have "Alkita deer." Fortutatly in the south we don't have those.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Hmmm, I would have thought Baroque classical music would instantly repel any sentient being.

Tim
They're attracted to baroque classical music. And they're barely sentient. (See above, "brains the size of walnuts.") They may be the missing link between plants and animals.

Reactions: T-88

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
I'm not sure what that is, but our DNR didn't think we had enough to look out for, so a few years they reintroduced Elk back into the mix.
I think he means "Al-Queda deer":

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
I think he means "Al-Queda deer"
Yes ... those ones. They hang out in groups, and on command, one's directed to give up his life in hopes of taking one of us out :(

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Yes ... those ones. They hang out in groups, and on command, one's directed to give up his life in hopes of taking one of us out :(
Oh yeah, we have those suicidal deer in my neighborhood too. These are just across the street. They jump that fence like Olympic hurdlers into the road all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
We've had them run into the sides of our police Cruisers- in a 30 mph zone. Any slower we'd be stopped ✋️ 😒 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Jack2 and gkarasik

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Last year on a cross Canada ride I saw a Provincial (official) pickup with two guys pulling a deer off the highway. I circled back and asked them. Turns out that is their full time job (clearing roadkill) but both also rode motorcycles and based on their years of pulling road kill their comments:

Avoid dawn or dusk. These two guys won't ride at night.
Noise/stereo/lights/bells/horns etc are useless. Truckers hit the blasters and the deer just looks at it.
If the deer is looking at your lights; they tend to NOT move.
Deer are a problem, however on a highway, almost any animal will knock you off the bike.
In a forested area you won't see a deer standing off the road until too late. Camouflage.
It comes down to you must see the deer and brake. Remember, a car/truck following you on a stretch of highway will not expect braking so flash brake lights and allow an escape route.

I also asked how the deer tasted but they are not allowed to keep.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Me, me, me. I don't suppose it's ever occurred to anyone that just maybe some of these deer are depressed? Maybe a rider-funded deer-suicide hotline would save us all some grief.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I don't believe any motorcycle gear is going to help. Effectively we're slamming into a wall. The only gear that will save us in a deer strike is to be wearing a car.
Dont respectfully agree. Although I have yet to hit a deer with the motorcycle, many hits are not dead center full on or the deer runs into the side of the bike and causes a nasty slide down the pavement. Proper gear can protect from a lot of pain and injury that would be worse w/o any gear.
Here in northern MN the deer big, plentiful and are my greatest fear. I do not ride dusk or night.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Dont respectfully agree. Although I have yet to hit a deer with the motorcycle, many hits are not dead center full on or the deer runs into the side of the bike and causes a nasty slide down the pavement. Proper gear can protect from a lot of pain and injury that would be worse w/o any gear.
Here in northern MN the deer big, plentiful and are my greatest fear. I do not ride dusk or night.
I agree that ATTGATT will help if anything can. I was comminting on whether there's anything more to be done. Beyond wearing standard, ATTGATT-level motorcycle-safety gear, I don't believe there is. Absent hard data, my sense is that, whaterver gear we're wearing, if we hit something at speed (particularly something as big as a deer, but as @gdb069 says, pretty much anthing, really), we're at the mercy of the laws of physics, and the human body is a soft thing.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I agree that ATTGATT will help if anything can. I was comminting on whether there's anything more to be done. Beyond wearing standard, ATTGATT-level motorcycle-safety gear, I don't believe there is. Absent hard data, my sense is that, whaterver gear we're wearing, if we hit something at speed (particularly something as big as a deer), we're at the mercy of the laws of physics, and the human body is a soft thing.
Yep. I do know that being very observant and driving slower has saved me from more deer collisions in the car/truck than anything else. Over almost 50 years of driving in the north country has spared me from more close encounters (2 "light" impacts with minimal damage) than I could ever count.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts