GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Yep. I do know that being very observant and driving slower has saved me from more deer collisions in the car/truck than anything else. Over almost 50 years of driving in the north country has spared me from more close encounters (2 "light" impacts with minimal damage) than I could ever count.
I once at speed got hit in the helmet by a bird, and it near knocked me off the motorcycle. It did knock me off line. Luckily I was going straight on a country road where there was no other traffic.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I got hit by a bird once and it near knocked me off the motorcycle and did knock me off line. Luckily I was going straight on a country road where there was no other traffic.
Came very close (much too close) to connecting with a wild turkey recently. Barely cleared the windshield. They don't get airborne with sufficient altitude very quickly. Usually they don't get up from the side of the road but apparently this one had somewhere else to get to.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
Shows their (and my) listening preference.👍
Mine too. I was blasting "Stone in Love" and singing along with Steve as I was cruising at 80MPH then I hit the deer. The deer liked my singing or Steve's. Maybe both.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Imagine hitting a elk! Wonder if anyone has survived that
One of my very good friends riding an older Suzuki GS1100 en route from Edmonton, Alberta to Hyder, Alaska struck and killed a moose many years ago. The rider was a big fellow, perhaps 280 + pounds. He was riding with full gear.

He survived virtually unscathed except for getting some gravel in his eyes from sliding through the gravel in the deep ditches along the road.

His doctor said his large physique likely saved his life, that a smaller person would likely have died due to the heart impacting the inside of the body when the crash occurred.

Survival is possible.

Tim

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
One of my very good friends riding an older Suzuki GS1100 en route from Edmonton, Alberta to Hyder, Alaska struck and killed a moose many years ago. The rider was a big fellow, perhaps 280 + pounds. He was riding with full gear.

He survived virtually unscathed except for getting some gravel in his eyes from sliding through the gravel in the deep ditches along the road.

His doctor said his large physique likely saved his life, that a smaller person would likely have died due to the heart impacting the inside of the body when the crash occurred.

Survival is possible.

Tim
Full grown moose you would probably be able to (if extremely fortunate) duck underneath it's belly. I would have been able to do so on a moose/snowmobile close encounter.
Many car/moose collisions end badly for all involved. Moose is tipped over and enters the cabin compartment. Passengers fare badly.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Pipe all you music through your rear speakers, and crank it up loud.
I can tell you they apparently like Boston's first album from experience...

Can we avoid deer?... the short answer is no.

Several suggestions here do reduce risk, but not all. Honestly, I am concerned about humans and their cars more than I am about deer....

Look at it from the deer's perspective... humans are pests. They'd use guns on us.... but, no fingers. So, for now, it's the kamikasi approach.

Speed and awareness is the main factors... decrease one and increase the other and you may survive the gauntlet...

;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
My wife and I were returning from BC this summer, and while in the foot hills in the rain we hit a deer. It came out of the bush right in front of us. I didn't have time for anything except to grab a mitt full of brake, and by mitt full I mean my elbow was sore for the next 3 weeks. There was a clunk loud enough that we both defiantly heard it. The last I saw of the deer it was doing a clockwise spin into the ditch. We didn't go down and absolutely no damage to the bike. Sometimes you just get lucky.

A few years back I did catch this guy on camera.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
I've debated posting pictures of myself in the emergency room. I don't think it would make any difference because we've seen it before. But I cringe even worse now when I see people with tshirts and/or no gloves. I had gloves and my hands are still a mess. Please wear gloves. 😐

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
...Please wear gloves. 😐
In all my travels I have seen people wearing all or nothing... sport bike guys wearing ONLY a pair of shorts... riding with bare feet, etc... but I'm always surprised to see the folks who have all the safety gear on EXCEPT gloves... bare hands. I always wear a helmet, gloves, good shoes... reasonable pants, you can see me in a T-shirt. But, I never ride without gloves... I guess it's from my dirt bike days. My views of videos from Sturges and Daytona etc.. most people do not ride with gloves. I'm not a fingerless glove person either... use full leather gloves, or a quality textile product.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
In all my travels I have seen people wearing all or nothing... sport bike guys wearing ONLY a pair of shorts... riding with bare feet, etc... but I'm always surprised to see the folks who have all the safety gear on EXCEPT gloves... bare hands. I always wear a helmet, gloves, good shoes... reasonable pants, you can see me in a T-shirt. But, I never ride without gloves... I guess it's from my dirt bike days. My views of videos from Sturges and Daytona etc.. most people do not ride with gloves. I'm not a fingerless glove person either... use full leather gloves, or a quality textile product.
I still have all my fingers thanks to good (for the time) gloves after a dirt bike collision "event" in my teens that put me and my cousin in the ER 40 years ago. Sliding down a gravel road and getting a hand into the spokes of a spinning rear wheel leaves you with real good reminder of gloves. The scars from several stitches installed by an inexperienced intern also remain.
The other perpetrator suffered a broken wrist.

·
Registered
21,574 Posts
10 or more years ago two people near here riding in a car were killed by a deer coming through the windshield, the impact actually tore the bolts holding the bucket seats right through the floor.
i have killed 5 deer with Goldwings and gave up counting the number of close calls or minor hits with not much damage.
If it was up to me they would put a bounty on deer to get the population way down from where it is now, way way to many deer out there and it’s costing us all way to much.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Full grown moose you would probably be able to (if extremely fortunate) duck underneath it's belly. I would have been able to do so on a moose/snowmobile close encounter.
Many car/moose collisions end badly for all involved. Moose is tipped over and enters the cabin compartment. Passengers fare badly.
Hitting a moose is like hitting a horse.
Long legged and comes right into the windshield.
A guy hit a moose about 45 years ago back in ND, he was driving a 70 something Dodge pickup. Hit it and it flew up hit the top of the cab and landed in the box of the pickup. Made all the papers back then. Wouldn't have believed it without seeing it.

Reactions: jettawreck

·
Registered
2002 GL1800ABS Illusion Red, 1999 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.
425 Posts
Reactions: gkarasik
41 - 60 of 85 Posts