GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ... I posted an answer to somebody else's post about night riding and deer just recently.

Just saw a young buck to trash all your night riding theories ... he was standing proud with his new antlers held high and his fore hooves on the white line along the right side of highway 32 just east of Winchester, Indiana just now ... 12:30 (just after NOON !!!) I slowed to 20-25 MPH and he wheeled and ran right ... away from the road ... back behind some evergreens just as I was about twenty yards from him. So much for deer at night ... they move any time they want to ....

I think our bright yellow bike and bright yellow Nolan helmets shook him up (I know ... deer are color blind ... :) ... ) :lol:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes they can be seen anytime during the day. Less likely in afternoon as they usually lay down during the hottest time of day. The problem with night riding is you can't see them usually before they jump out in front of you and then it can be to late to react. Where I live, they are like ants...don't ride at night if at all possible. During the daylight hours you can at least see them (usually) before they hit the road. Sure wish they would be more considerate! :cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
......With all of the 'add ons' you can get for a Wing, why has someone not come up with a InfraRed detector to mount on the front to warn you of animals and people at night?

·
Banned
226 Posts
I almost hit an 400 lb wild hog that was standing in the middle of the I-10 in west Texas. He never did give way as blew past him at 80 in the black of night. The Texas hill country is home to millions of deer. Driving over the hills in a car at night can be an experience. In the daylight the kids make a game out of counting the carcases from all the trucker hits. Seeing the damage one can do to a car..... I wouldn't want to get into one on a bike.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just be careful.

Where you see one deer, there are many others near by.

ps. I have chrome plated deer whistles that I offer for $369.95. :joke:

·
Registered
235 Posts
If we had infrared to see them all we'd never ride again. :tongue:

I rode out in Wyoming a couple years back and swore I'd never ride at night in a place like that (middle of no where, 000s of deer, etc.) ever again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just be careful.

Where you see one deer, there are many others near by.

ps. I have chrome plated deer whistles that I offer for $369.95. :joke:

I had two deer whistles that came on the 89 PC800 that I have been riding for the past 5 years. I never hit a deer so I know they work!!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
They are out during all hours of the day around here but not as many as night. I see them when I'm on the tractor during daylight quite often. But at least during the day they are MUCH easier to spot. I never ride at night since I live out in the sticks. On the tree lined back roads I ride fairly slow. No need to hurry for me.

My wife has deere whistles on her cars and has hit four of them in the last 35 years. I have only been hit in the side by one in a cage and I have no whistles. All of encounters were dawn or dusk.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ya never know. I had a deer vs motorcycle accident in '02. The deer and a brand new motorcycle (1,500 miles) were both DOA. I had only very, very minor injuries.

This occurred at 2:40 in the afternoon.

I hate deer.

Hector

·
Registered
642 Posts
I see more of them when it's cooler during the day in the summer, just after daylight and just before dark. However, during these real hot days, if we get an occasional rain shower (more like an afternoon thunderstrom) then soon after I am more cautious to their movements or if it's a cloudy day after a real hot day prior, then we will see more mid-day movements.

Now with all that said; 3 years ago we had a 200 Beech King Air hit a deer at 2:pM on a hot afternoon, while almost at rotation speed during take-off. The deer came from the left side crossed in front of the plane and was caught by the right propeller. Pilot veared right hoping to miss it and later stated; if I would have stayed straight ahead I would have missed it. Cut the deer lengthways looked like a cutaway laying on the runway. Made a bloody mess, took 2000 gals of water from one of our Engines to just wash the mess off the runway and plane. No one in the plane was hurt, but it distroyed the front-end of that PT-6 Engine and the propeller too. I didn't hear the final bill but the initial estimate was in excess of $250,000 and the airframe only got a small ding in the cowling. Since that deer was in a full out sprint from left to right when the pilots first saw it, most figure that a dog must have been trailing it or some other predator animal was after it?

Bottom line is, it can (WILL) happen anywhere anytime, just be as careful as possible but still enjoy the ride!!

Regards,

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Ride 40 miles one way to work--last 5 miles are a two lane road into the woods--get off at 10pm--those 5 miles to the freeway are rode with bright lights at around 45mph--even had a wolf cross in front of me the other night--and yes I see `em at 1pm too but very seldom compared to night time--just use caution--

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Deer

There is a whole science dedicated to the study of deer movement. The moon has a tremendous impact that can be used to determine peak activity. Once I sat in my tree stand and although I had seen no movement all morning, the moon charts said that a peak would happen at approx. 9:32 AM....and about that time deer started moving.
I have developed an even better system....if I am on the bike...deer move...if I am hunting...nada.

·
Registered
812 Posts
@Dan -
Please post your hunting schedule so the rest of us will know when it's safe:lol:

Sound exactly like my luck.

Jason

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Here's my idea: Put a bounty on all deer. $100.00 a head (no limit) paid by Uncle Sam (us).

All venison will be dressed and wrapped for distribution to the needy.

All the folks out of work and/or that love to hunt would eliminate the deer problem is short order.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I hit one in a car in the Texas hill country on a 100 degree day. I hit one on my 1500 GW in the daytime in CO. They can come out of nowhere any time, day or night.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I ride in "Deer Country" almost every weekend in SE Texas. I occasionally see one during the day, but it is very rare. Maybe one every four or five months I'd guess. But we frequently see dead ones along the road. Bottom line is that I agree - they might be out during the day, but the odds are greatly against it.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Here in Northern MI deer are always on my mind when I ride. four years ago we were riding on US-23 just East of Augres at dusk when a deer came out of nowhere and struck us(my GF was on the back) a blow near the back of the Wing and moved the bike all over the road. Don't know how we did not go down. We were not hurt, but the Wing was and so was the poor deer. 3K worth of damage to the bike. I did not even have time to react and how I kept the bike up is a mystery, just instincts I guess.

Yes you can see deer out and about at any time, but you are much more likely to encounter them at dawn and dusk hours. At night you just can't see them until they are on you. I have had several close calls over the years and try not to ride at night or during the dawn and dusk hours in my neck of the woods.

Be safe out there guys an encounter with a deer on a two wheeler is never a good thing.

Fred

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i was hit in the side of my big truck by a big one,he had to be going 30 mph and i saw him just before he hit me and not a darn thing i could do!!!

but to be fair the sun had just came up and i was in montana,lol

1st one in 5 yrs and 1/2 a million miles!

to date
1-jack rabbit
2-road runner
3-small birds
4-a crane
5-a 300lb wild boar
6-a sheep"did not kill"
7-bever
8-deer
9-raccoon
i know im forgetting some

1 - 20 of 86 Posts