GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clobbered a big deer the other night driving my pick up truck. It woke me up to my cat's nine lives lucky streak these past 45 years on motorcycles and I think I'm done riding back roads after dark on two wheels here in corn country. Quitting while I'm on top of the statistics.

I would like to install a couple deer whistles on my bike. Have any of you done that? Where on the bike did you mount them? Pictures help. What brand do you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back when my wife and I were working with an 80 mile each round trip each day, I smacked a big buck. Deer whistles went on every vekicle. Afterwards, through the following years my wife and I bagged 4 more and barely missed several more. My take? They don't work. A sharp eye and quick reflexes will help, some.
Thats what I keep hearing. Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
I clobbered a big deer the other night driving my pick up truck. It woke me up to my cat's nine lives lucky streak these past 45 years on motorcycles and I think I'm done riding back roads after dark on two wheels here in corn country. Quitting while I'm on top of the statistics.

I would like to install a couple deer whistles on my bike. Have any of you done that? Where on the bike did you mount them? Pictures help. What brand do you use?

Thanks
I have proven, at least to myself, that they are worthless. I live in an area infested with the vermin. I bought one of the powered versions that you mount and aim precisely. I was surrounded by a herd one morning and repeatedly turned it on and off with ZERO results. The hooved vermin never even blinked.

Robert

Reactions: 93interstater

·
Registered
175 Posts
They work! They really do. I put them on my tractor and I have never even come close to hitting a deer. The deer run away every time I see one. If your wing has reverse buy an extra pair for the back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The whistles make noise but they don't recognize it as a danger. A friend modified one of those novelty speakers that makes animal sounds. It makes the sound of a pack of dogs or wolves. That works great.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Think of this: Your m/c is traveling at 40 MPH. You have to have the ability to direct that little plastic noise maker to send the sound far enough ahead, and loud enough to be heard, giving the animal warning of your approach. The physics (as I understand such things, and yes I realize sound travels a little faster than 40) before it is useful. The "Loud Pipes Save Lives" crowd want you to believe loud exhaust pipes will keep someone from pulling out in front of you. That does not work either, for the same reasons.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree with the crowd. Worthless and possibly making things more dangerous. I see deer standing along the side of the road quite often. And they are content to just stand there and let me ride by. Add in a deer whistle and now that calm deer becomes agitated and starts running.

That said when we were riding the Blue Ridge last month I spotted a deer standing 80 yards away in a field. Three PM, bright daylight. Deer lifts it's head up from feeding looks right at me and starts running towards me. I don't know if the darn thing thought my buddy and I were two deer running through the field and she wanted to join us or what. I could tell by the speeds being traveled that the deer couldn't catch me so I kept moving at 45 mph while pointing at the deer so my buddy would see it. It jumped across the road right behind me.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Deer hearing

Interestingly enough, if you can't hear something, the deer probably cannot hear it either. Current studies indicate that deer do not hear that much better than we do.

Also, even with sounds the deer can hear, their reaction is not predictable. There have been multiple times I have honked at at deer to get their attention and they run right into the road. That was not the desired response.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had a pair on a truck for a while. Had many close calls so I took them off. I’d swear they attracted the dear.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hey, these things work great... BUT you need to be careful when you mount them. When I first bought mine, I accidentally installed them backwards.

I had a herd of deer chase me five miles!:nerd:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I asked my brother a wildlife biologist about them, and he told me that deer have about the same hearing range as humans. I also heard years ago that the state of Missouri did a study and found that at night when your lights are on bright the deer are more likely to get confused and run the wrong way. I don't use the brights if I am out in the country, or where there are many deer. So far I only had one run into the back tire on my truck during the day. I guess something scared him and he wasn't looking where he was going.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lots of speculation and conjecture in this thread.

To me, deer whistle effectiveness is like religion - either you believe, or you don't.

Here is a link to an article that references actual deer whistle studies. The article is not an academic one.

Take the article for what it's worth. Believe it, or don't believe it. Make your own decision.

Link: https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...are-deer-whistles-to-avoid-vehicle-collisions

I have no dog in this hunt.

Tim

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Well I drive fire apparatus to and from calls and use a fire siren that apparently can wake the dead this quote comes from the calling and complaining public who don't like siren noise, a air horn that sounds like a train approaching and enough lights flashing make it look like a great disco. Deer have been known to stop in the roadway look at us shrug it off and cross the road like they own it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
MN State Patrol many years ago did a test with deer whistles on their squad cars. Deer collisions were not shown to be reduced and were not effective. At least on maroon colored sedans. Your results may vary.
If you look where/how most "whistles" are located and mounted, there is not much chance of them getting airflow through them to produce any sound even if they had any actual effect.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Friend of mine had them on his Wing. He was riding along and a deer ran out in front of him. Did $4000.00 in damages to the Wing, but luckily, he was OK. Needless to say, they didn't go back on when he got the Wing back from repairs.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I fully believe that the only (deer) whistle that sometimes works is the "YES DEAR"..................:crying::crying:

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 44 Posts