GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1043 hrs:

riding home from coffee cruisers on a us highway in the middle of town. Speed limit has just gone from 30mph to 45 mph. Deerzilla comes walking out of a used car lot, sneers at me and trots across the road to a housing subdivision.

I never saw such a big deer before. I think he could look over my windshield. Isn't there a law where deer have to be asleep by 1043 hrs?

.5 seconds later and there would have probably been a big mess to clean up from that highway.

Man that sucker was HUGE!! :coffee1:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
They seem to be getting braver.

I guess because of all the Deer Crossing Signs they think they own the road.

We were coming through Franklin, NC a couple of years ago, and a Black Bear walked down a driveway and across the road like he owned the place.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
That happened to me twice last Sunday on the Skyline Drive. First an adult black bear, then about a mile later it was a black bear cub. And in the middle of the day, too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This was their homestead long before man moved his greedy a$$ in. They want it all back.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you think that's bad,wait till a bunch of slow kids are playing in the road..............I know you've seen the sign.......Slow
Kids
Playing

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
safe to say no deer stew tomorrow glad you missed it

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Wow, Sue, glad it didn't go worse for you and ChickenWing!

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
this past June rite downtown in a small town in New Mexico i watched 3 deer cross the street, the first one got accross just before a car came along the second one waited on the sidewalk for the car to get by, the third deer patiently waited for 2 more cars to go by then casually crossed the street, this was all in broad daylite, deer must b smarter down there :joke:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
this past June rite downtown in a small town in New Mexico i watched 3 deer cross the street, the first one got accross just before a car came along the second one waited on the sidewalk for the car to get by, the third deer patiently waited for 2 more cars to go by then casually crossed the street, this was all in broad daylite, deer must b smarter down there :joke:
Like I said (and several here took offense to it)

1. Post "Deer Crossing" signs
2. Educate deer to cross only where posted
3. Issue tickets and fines to deer who jaywalk.

Simple. Some people always have to complicate things.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts

I must take exception to your highly discriminatory suggestion. Bears, turkeys, and ducks need to cross the road, too. Your plan shows blatant favoritism towards ungulates.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJ

I must take exception to your highly discriminatory suggestion. Bears, turkeys, and ducks need to cross the road, too. Your plan shows blatant favoritism towards ungulates.

O Deer...and thats how the fight started...:eek:4:...

C

·
0 Posts
That happened to me twice last Sunday on the Skyline Drive. First an adult black bear, then about a mile later it was a black bear cub. And in the middle of the day, too.

DANG! I live 5 miles from the Skyline Drive, am up there all the time and I have yet to see a bear. Plenty of deer, but no bear. The touristas must be scarin' them off. :coffee1:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
When I lived in Nebraska, the Boone and Crocket champion deer was taken in the city limits of one of the suburbs of Omaha. They can live in a little sliver of wilderness. This one was living in the hedge rows between corn fields.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Deer aren't the only ones. Yesterday riding through southern Wyoming a pronghorn was trotting along side the highway (65 mph speed limit). Somehow I just had a feeling about it so I slowed to match it's pace of 35 mph and hung back about 25 yards. After a few seconds, I honked the horn so it would know I was there. It turned its head and looked at me and trotted across the road and then crawled under the fence and headed off over the hill. Last year in Yellowstone, had one walk into the highway with a fawn in tow. They stood in the middle of the highway for at least a minute posing for all the people before strolling off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I live in the central California Sierras, about 25 miles from the south entrance to Yosemite national park, and although hitting a deer on either my Road King or GL1800 trike would just totaly suck, when it happens while driving a truck, well .......... we call that "bumper huntin"! ;)
It helps to have a big ole honkin' diamond plate Bay Bumper (also known here'bouts as a magnum) to bring down the big'uns ........ but sometimes ya still gotta hit em twice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
You are seeing little critters, A few years ago we were in Maine heading to Americade when 2 ugly moose came out of the woods and started running down the side of the road next to our wings so we stop an let them go on their way.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sunday morning brought yet another critter incident.

On the way out of the neighborhood I ride past a turtle laboring mightily to cross the road. A quick glance in the mirrors and in front showed no traffic so I pulled a u-turn and stopped the bike next to the turtle.

The turtle turns out to be an eight inch snapping turtle and it wants no assistance from me. It tried to bite my boot and I made no attempt to pick it up. Soon it was more into trying to bite me instead of getting out of the road.

So I get back on the bike, pull another u-turn having decided to leave yon snapping turtle to it's own disgruntled fate.

It lunged at the bike and tried to bite my tire as I rode by.

On a good note, when I came back several hours later there was no turtle goolash in the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts