GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a busy fella lately. I bought a second home in a gated community, so I needed two more GDO solutions. I went cheap and easy by simply soldering wires across the buttons of my GDO and tieing them to the "memo1" and "memo2" buttons. I cut the wires from those buttons so I could use them for the GDO. I have never used them for their intended purpose, so I figured it was a good idea.

While I had things apart, I wanted to do the signal delay cancel mod found HERE. I did the two relay version. It wasn't terribly difficult to do, but it did take some effort. I also did the turn signal cancel button/temp display mod found on the same page. However, I found that the "blue/yellow" wire was not the right wire for the harness that goes to the display button. It was red with some gray spots (I think). It was easy to find. I just sharpened a meter probe, connected on end to ground and began probing wires until I found the one that changed the temp display.

One thing I did do differently. There seemed to be much concern about how to tap into wires. I simply isolated a wire I needed to tap into and burned a small spot through the insulation with my soldering iron. This exposed the metal wire in just one small spot. Then, I applied some soldering flux to the exposed wire and to the end of the lead I was soldering onto it, put them together, applied a soldering iron with some solder on the tip and presto! Simple tap! Then, just wrap the wire with black tape, or if it was too tight a spot, I used "liquid tape". This made for a very secure connection that is very simple to do. I recommend it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh... one other thing. When searching on this topic, I found several threads where people were looking to be able to do adjustable timers, but no one found a solution. I think there is a very simple solution. If you simply develop an R/C timing circuit that holds closed a relay that connects ground to the pink wire, you can control how long the delay will be. The shortest amount of time would be the stock setting, but it could be set to stay on any desired amount of time beyond that. I was just wondering if Fred or anyone else tried that simple solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts