GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if this is an ignorant post.... As a wrench, I make a pretty good ski patroller. I own a 2005 GL1800A with just under 70,000 miles. A bike I love, with one fault. I've had secondary master cylinder issues twice (one I handled with the recall), and now my rear brake is locked again.... I'm a bit frustrated, and this last time I was on a ride and didn't know it, and the rotor was burning hot! I'm afraid of a fire...... What I want to do is to disable the link system..... I'm willing to trade off the performance for cool brakes..... I know this has been done before, and I know trike converters do it all the time. Does anyone have a source where I can learn how to do this? All suggestions and help appreciated....

·
Vendor
16,006 Posts
I believe it is part #23 in the fishe below. However, has your brake fluid been changed every 12k ??? Honda eventually found that owner neglect was the ultimate cause of rear brake lock up. If not, your brake system may need another bleeding using 6 more bottles of fluid. Attached is SB-23 which tells more about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Before unlinking the brakes I would thoroughly flush and bleed the entire brake system as GoldWingGreg suggested.

·
Vendor
16,006 Posts
Before unlinking the brakes I would thoroughly flush and bleed the entire brake system as GoldWingGreg suggested.
As time passes, and mileage racks up on 5th gens, and if someone works on a lot of them doing various repairs, they will probably come to the conclusion that the engineers who obviously, for the most part did a great job designing our Wings, gave the same thought to the maintenance schedule printed in the Owner's Manual. For me, and because I am one who works on so many, and also gets to see the insides of so many engines, those engineers knew exactly how to predict the needed services with the intervals as printed.

I also get to chuckle when owners think they can skip or extend those intervals. In my position, I get to see it over and over again. For me it equals cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching !!! SB-23 is a great example of such. Unfortunately for Honda, the lack of maintenance thing took them years to determine, and the feds got involved. If they were able to determine poor maintenance was the issue quicker, they would have passed the expense to repair onto the owner where it should have been all along.

As always, the cheapest way to service a 5th gens is to follow the Maintenance Schedule to a tee. Of course there is never anything wrong with servicing one early, and there can be everything wrong with servicing one late. As time passes, I'm sure the same will be proven with the 6th gen too.

For all who think different, all I can say is cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching ... and Thank You BIG ... people like me have house payments to make too :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, there's no denying I'm one of those knuckle-headed owners that "extend service intervals." I'm not a natural wrench, and what I do know about Honda repair and maintenance can be seen in my pile of broken and misused parts..... After sober reflection, I'll put her up and flush and bleed the system as you suggest, Greg...... Thank you for your input.... but I have only one question: why in the heck aren't you and your JustWings business not located in Washington State! You'd have a customer for life if you were! :cool:

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Jack, when my 2002 brakes were locking up the first time I found it to be a piece of the pad spring was wedged in the caliper and forcing it to the left. Way later it happened again, but that spring was fine. I had to occasionally open one of the bleeders when it was binding as a work around (this before Honda tackeled the problem). I eventually found the turnbuckle of that secondary master to be a half turn out of spec, but half turns were not available due to design, so I added a full turn to relax it. No more problem for many miles. I had the recall done and still no problems on that bike so far as I know. I always changed my brake fluid every 24 months. On the new bike, I believe the interval is 36 months, but I will do the first one at 24. Check that pad spring; they should probably be replaced every other pad change.

prs

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Greg,
I kind-a am too, one of the "knuckleheads" that seems to negate standard or even non-standard maintenance. I do change oil and all that, most likely prematurely but, as stated, that never really hurts anything. But, I have a couple of questions for ya. One, and I've seen the term(s) many times, Generation of a Wing, may I ask, just WHAT are the generations of a Honda Goldwing?

And two, since this thread is about the brake and brake systems on a Goldwing and, the subject of the recall has been brought up, I just made an appointment with the closest Honda dealer/service center for Motorcycles to get my recall done. It's not to be done for a month due to the back log of the dealer and, he has to order the parts. But, while I'm not one to tell the dealer and or techs how to do their job, and if I recall, this is a fairly detailed and extensive job, is there anything I should suggest to them in terms of bleeding, "look out for", check, etc. while they're performing this recall, without ruffling their feathers in them thinking I'm telling them how to do their job?
By the way, thanks for your help with me analyzing my issues with my heated seats and grips.
Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jack, when my 2002 brakes were locking up the first time I found it to be a piece of the pad spring was wedged in the caliper and forcing it to the left. Way later it happened again, but that spring was fine. I had to occasionally open one of the bleeders when it was binding as a work around (this before Honda tackeled the problem). I eventually found the turnbuckle of that secondary master to be a half turn out of spec, but half turns were not available due to design, so I added a full turn to relax it. No more problem for many miles. I had the recall done and still no problems on that bike so far as I know. I always changed my brake fluid every 24 months. On the new bike, I believe the interval is 36 months, but I will do the first one at 24. Check that pad spring; they should probably be replaced every other pad change.

prs

Thank youj, I'll check it out.....

·
Registered
520 Posts
My previous bike was the Honda ST1300, which has dual linked brakes (front and rear with both activated by either the hand or foot brake lever(s). There were many cases on that forum of the secondary master cylinder causing rear brake lockup and almost always the cause was inadequate maintainence of the brake system, whether it was neglected fluid changes, inattention to the SMC pivot bearing, etc.
And then there is/was an isolated case or so of idiots such as who will plead the 5th that managed to strip the caliper mounting bolt and cause the caliper to mis-align. That will heat up the rear rotar pretty quickly, too...
The brakes on the ST were great (much better than the Wing) but certainly needed to be looked after and maintained on schedule. Many a SMC and other system parts were commonly replaced after succomming to neglect. I managed to avoid that pitfall and bring that lesson forward to the current "old" Wing.
Grateful for the reminder(s). Properly taken care of there should be no reason to consider altering the system design.
image.jpg
image.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts