GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good mapping program for use on my computer that would benefit my trip planning. I have been through several. The last was the National Geographic Topo. What a joke.
I bought the Delorme topo usa 4.0 off ebay the other day and just installed it today. WOOOOW. How awsome. The manual is in an Adobe file on their web site. I had to download it to get the 3-D working. That 3D rendering is incredible. I rode the Talimena Trail last October and I routed that same trail on the map. It was JUST like the ride. I recognized places on the map I had been on the actual road.
Just a report on a great product.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can it be loaded into a SP III?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Delorme mapping software

Bob C said:
Can it be loaded into a SP III?
No. They run only WinTel products, on Palm and Pocket PC handhelds.

Delorme products include Street Atlas and Topo. They formerly produced Map-N-Go for AAA but Micro$oft bought the rights.

I have been using Street Atlas and Map-N-Go for many years and have really liked them. Their maps are very detailed and accurate with GPS. However, voice prompting is a weak point.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Anyone used the Garmin Mapsource Topo maps in their GPS?

Have considered getting it for my GPS V to use for hiking, but haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Have been a street maps from the start. Just cannot figure how to mount a laptop on the bike. Got a Magellion platnuim meriduim and use the bicycle mount, a little small, no night light that stays on. Just bought a garmin 2650, it tracks better then delorme! I am sold, and the $300 difference makes the gps signal as secondary. Have not installed on the bike yet, but see no problems to hook one wire to the speedo signal wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Garmin Topo Maps

The Garmin Topo maps are good but don't have as much detail as I wanted. For hiking they should be just fine, though.

Proctor Willson
Paris, TN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts