GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I am a total novice at doing audio work, and understand even less about satalite radios (including spelling it). However, I was looking at the Delphi Rhody to put on the bike. It has a card that fits into a cassette player and is wired to the receiver unit. Question is, will the aux plug that comes with the bike in the left pocket fit into the reciever, and will that work to get the sound into the on-board intercom system, using the AUX button on the console? Second question is, will the antenna work just on top of the dash behind the windshield?

Anybody tried one of these units, and whats the opinions?

Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hi Harry,

I haven't personally worked with this unit, but I know that many others have and will probably chime in. The main issue that I've heard with regards to this radio is the possibility of it interferring with the satellite reception of a GPS, if you have one.

I have the SkyFi unit and have had no problems with it. You can use the audio out of the unit and connect it directly into the Aux. input on the bike (usually through a ground loop isolator), or use the FM modulator if you choose. You'll probably have to extend the audio cable, depending on where you mount it.

As far as antenna mounting goes, I mounted mine on top of the front brake reservoir and have had great reception. You can't hardly tell it's there, and the new antenna that comes with the Roady is even smaller...

Let me know if you need help and maybe we could get together (I know you're not afraid of a ride...)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes and Yes.

The AUX input works great. You will most likely need a ground loop isolator that plugs in between the AUX and the Roady.

The antenna will work on the dash...but I put mine under the dash. If you remove the 'meter panel' you can slide the Roady antenna between the speedometer case assembly and the dash. This hides it from view. I used velcro to hold it on the speedometer case assembly.

Do a search on the board for XM or Roady and you will get a lot more info.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jon,

I sure wish I lived less than 3,000 miles away. I would join you guys. I have just about had it with the light maintenance and after market install, lifestyle. It is time for me to move up and build something.

All the best to you Jon, and know that we are thinking of you and your family. Tomorrow will be a day that is going to be tough to get through. Being surrounded with Friends and Family will be a good thing. A chance to review the past and chart the future!

Our Prayers are with you and your family.

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
231 Posts
Roady install!

Hi all,
I installed the XM Roady my daughter gave me for Christmas on the left pocket. I also installed a Radio Shack ground loop isolator in the left fairing in front of the pocket. I put the antenna on top of the instrument panel hood and stuffed some aluminum foil inside the hood for a ground plane. I get good reception, even in my garage.
Hope this is useful to someone.
Hawk and LadyHawk

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, Dawg - we all appreciate them.

I've been spending the week putting together a digital photo album that we'll be showing tomorrow at the memorial and the service - about 150 pictures of my mom and all the people she's touched. She was in the process of creating digital albums of our family tree and I finished those up as well.

With the integrated music (all her favorite tunes - some Nat King Cole and of course, Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers) and touching pictures, it's a real tear jerker.

I'm burning copies of the CD for everybody who wants one - it should be a nice way to remember her by.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'm just completing the install of my Roady. Pictures can be found towards the end of my photo album. Sorry to make you look at the other pictures, but this is a quick place for me to store things. All the pictures have to do with the Goldwing...

http://myweb.core.com/photos/[email protected]/

I used a piece of aluminum 5" long x 1.5" wide x .1825 thick to mount it. Theres a few pictures to show how I bent it.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just swapped from a sirius unit to the xm roady

main reason was to be able to mount it in the left fairing pocket to keep it water proof

yes you cant see the display--but i listen to one station and keep it there, also the unit can be set to go on and off whenever the power from the bike comes on

its not like a regular radio where you need to swap stations all the time

i took a medium density foam block , cut it to fit in the entire left pocket

then cut a area out about 1 inch deep for the roady unit. its cushioned very well

then ran the 3 wires through the foam and under it to the hole i made in the pocket liner

i can move it to my other bike or car in a minute--by unhooking the three wires

i have another cord and antenna in the other applications

now its out of the weather, shock resistant, and ofcourse easy to move

loren

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Shooter Indy said:
Loren,

Any pics?? I think the foam idea sounds great.

I put mine in the right pocket so I could lock it.

[
anyone who wants a photo of the foam mount

let me know

loren

·
Registered
64 Posts
Roady

If you have a GPS or intend to get one do not use the Roady. Take it back and exchange it for the SkiFy unit. The Roady will kill the GPS signal no matter where you put it on the front of your bike.It is the receiver,not the antenna. Delphi is aware of this problem and last I heard was going to exchange these units for one with internal shielding. Maybe get in touch with them?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Roady

rdbuck said:
If you have a GPS or intend to get one do not use the Roady. Take it back and exchange it for the SkiFy unit. The Roady will kill the GPS signal no matter where you put it on the front of your bike.It is the receiver,not the antenna. Delphi is aware of this problem and last I heard was going to exchange these units for one with internal shielding. Maybe get in touch with them?
That's odd... my GPS V and Roady get along just fine... one is on the left handlebar, and the other on the right. Even if I move the Roady over closer to the GPS, the GPS continues to work as normal.

I wouldn't trade the smaller size of the Roady for the larger size (and that awful required "base") of the SkyFi. The Roady makes for a much cleaner look than the larger SkyFi.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Roady and GPS

I repeat my advice about the conflict between the Roady and GPS. Do some research on the XMFan site or even some previous posts on this site. You will find that the effect on the GPS can be erractic at times and major at other times. If I put my GPS on mode for satellite strength display and move the Roady back and forth you can watch the signal strength rise and fall. The GPS would still function and display your position on a map but the accuracy would be seriously degraded and would vary drastically.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i also read the xmfan board from time to time as a very good source of info and tips.

however like some of the other boards i have read , there are always a couple people who know it all, and then the herd pretty much goes along with the big shots to fit in.

i got my driveway somewhat cleared of ice and let the wing charge the battery for a while this morning. i had the newly installed roady on and functioning as planned.

i took my handheld garmin ique 3600, for a little test of the theory of interference.

i know a ten minute test is not positive proof, i noticed no inusal problems no matter how close i moved the handheld. i also plugged it in to the same plug to see if that would change anything.

results were they both functioned as expected.

both rick and myself have new roady units, just recently purchased. perhaps the problem has been changed or fixed on this recent relesase.

if i do get some funny readings, ill just need to get off the ride and take my handheld unit to a picnic table and figure out my next route, so no matter what happens, i am covered.

loren

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Roady will interfere with a SP III. I put mine in the right pocket and shielded it with aluminum tape on the outside of the pocket and the lid. I grounded the tape and changed the power feed to a circuit separate from the SP III. That cleared up the problem. Rode 100 miles today in Indy...28 degrees...and no interference problems.

I've contacted Delphi and they are aware of the problem. They are redesigning the Roady to fix the interference problem and will replace my unit under warranty. They said to contact them after March 1, 2004.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
My Roady was purchased in late December, and came directly from XM's warehouse. Maybe mine is already a different version... because it and my GPS V get along just fine.

However, I don't have this mysterious Roady/GPS problem, despite what anyone thinks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts