GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Real quick, which one is better, given the environment it will be operating in? Are there any major functional differences between them that makes one more suiteable than the other?

TIA,

Woody
'03 Black
Bellevue, WA

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Woody,
The Roady is a vehicle only unit. From what I've heard (haven't laid eyes on one yet) it is a bit smaller. You can also get a weather resistant (or proof, can't remember what claim they were making) cover for the Roady, which would make it great for bikes ridden in bad weather.

The SkyFi has a portable receiver, so the great thing about it is you can install the cradle units in several locations (car, home, and even a protable "boom box") and just swap the reciever unit out between them. So the portability is the key selling point to the SkyFi.

At least from the little reading I've done, that's what I have learned. I am sure some folks who have actually used them will chime in too.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
one thing to remember about the roady is that the buttons are very small. even smaller with gloves on. the audiovox models have nice large buttons and a large wheel to change stations with.

there is a remote avaible on ebay for arround $ 20 that controls the roady.

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
IB Mike said:
Woody,
The Roady is a vehicle only unit. From what I've heard (haven't laid eyes on one yet) it is a bit smaller. You can also get a weather resistant (or proof, can't remember what claim they were making) cover for the Roady, which would make it great for bikes ridden in bad weather.
The Roady is NOT a vehicle only unit. Delphi sells a home kit for it. I use mine in the house and at the office just fine.

Yes, it is smaller than the SkyFi. The Roady is slightly larger than a deck of playing cards.

There isn't a rain cover available for the Roady (that I'm aware of, and I've been looking). If someone knows of one, then please tell me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
mrgl02 said:
IB Mike said:
The Roady is NOT a vehicle only unit. Delphi sells a home kit for it. I use mine in the house and at the office just fine.

Yes, it is smaller than the SkyFi. The Roady is slightly larger than a deck of playing cards.

There isn't a rain cover available for the Roady (that I'm aware of, and I've been looking). If someone knows of one, then please tell me.
OK, I am a d/a :oops:
After reading around, it is the SkyFi unit that has a rain cover available.

I also searched around ebay and the Delphi site and couldn't find the Roady home kit... maybe they don't offer it any more?
But that would still make it not-portable... right? Or can you still swap the reciever? Just curious...

OK, found the kit (an a/c plug converter and mini-plug to RCA plug converter). So can you temp mount the roady in the car, and then just pull it and the power cord out and bring it in the house?
Wonder why Delphi doesn't market it? Cause they want you to buy the SkyFi...?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I can't find it right now, but one of my Google searches returned a file from the XMradio.com website outlining the "market focus" and "target demographics" for the two types of radios.

It basically stated that the Roady was mainly targeted for younger buyers, who had good eyes, (slightly smaller screen) wanted the "cool factor" of being able to change the faceplate, background color, etc. and felt they would more likely be installed 'permanently' in their car and interfacing to an expensive stereo unit, most likely through the wireless FM Modulator option.

The SkyFi was targeted for an older customer, one who was more interested in the "easy portability" of the unit and thus, the multiple cradle docking options that they have available for it.

There is also a relatively non-biased comparison from my buddies at http://www.twowheelradio.com explaining the merits of the differing components. Their preference appears to be the SkyFi unit, but he told me that they are selling more and more Roadys everyday.

Just some more info to hopefully allow you to make the most informed choice available!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made descision to purchase Skyfi

Hi all-

Thanks to everyone for their input. I decided to purchase the Skyfi and found it on sale for $100.00! I am purchasing the car kit because I am going on a road/ski trip tomorrow and will get a chance to use it between Seattle and Whistler, BC.

After I get back I'll start figuring out how to install it on the GL1800 as well as have a more permanent mount in my automobile.

I am looking forward to commercial free radio!! :wink:

Thanks,

Woody
'03 Black
Bellevue, WA

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
daveste99 said:
Hi all -

Real quick, which one is better? Are there any major functional differences between them that makes one more suiteable than the other?

TIA,

Woody
'03 Black
Bellevue, WA
Delphi gets NASCAR - Roady doesn't

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Granpa, the Roady unit is made by Delphi - maybe you're thinking of the difference between XM & Sirius?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Jon said:
I hate to pick nits, but XM does have NASCAR on channel 144 :)
I was quoting from Saturday's newspaper car column.
She said one got NFL and the other got NASCAR due to exclusive contracts each had.

Apparently she (the author) was incorrect. I don't have either - so I'll bow out of this discussion.

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Roady and have found that it doesn't play well with the Garmin V GPS. It interferes with the ability of the GPS to acquire satellites. From what I understand, the SkyFi does not have this problem.

I called Delphi and they acknowledged the problem. He took my name and phone number and said I would be notified with instructions on returning my Roady for a replacement unit (under warranty). Apparently the replacements are not available yet.

Dave

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Usually when I don't know anything about a subject, I seek an expert or someone with experience with the the subject matter. In walks JON. I too am totally in the dark with XM, Sirrus, Sky Fi etc. Jon told me that he uses the Sky Fi, guess what the Dawg is going to be using? You guessed it.

I picked this turkey up on Ebay last night. Now I just have to wait for JON to show up at my house with a mount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076128565&category=3281&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT

Bulldog

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
STOP IT, DAWG!

I'm certainly no 'expert' ("Someone brought in from out of town, carrying a briefcase" - which won't happen until June :wink: )

As much as I like the SkyFi approach, there are just as many that are enjoying their Roadys, Commanders and the various Sirius units.

Life is about choices, and thankfully we've got many for these toys.

You can contact me direct if you want to discuss some of your "custom" mounting options, I've got my new XM radio handlebar bracket about ready for beta testing, and the GPS mount is in fabrication now.

Of course, there are many RAM-based options available right now if you like them, or the Texelent bar as well.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
DaveY said:
I have a Roady and have found that it doesn't play well with the Garmin V GPS. It interferes with the ability of the GPS to acquire satellites. From what I understand, the SkyFi does not have this problem.

I called Delphi and they acknowledged the problem. He took my name and phone number and said I would be notified with instructions on returning my Roady for a replacement unit (under warranty). Apparently the replacements are not available yet.

Dave
My Roady and GPS V get along just fine, mine was purchased direct from XM in late December. Either mine is a newer version or it may not be an "across the board" problem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Woody,
I have the XM Commander,matches the dash colors very well,small in size,great for mounting options,just dont do what I did & ride to work & forget to cover it with a baggy to keep the rain off. :weeping: The radio still works but my display does'nt anymore,never :rain1: in Oregon you know. :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts