GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that I can't recieve my normal FM channels clearly with the XM radio on. If I turn off the power to the XM all channels then operate normally. Since the Modulator isn't hooked into the FM radio other than to use one channel why is this happening?

Anyone else have this problem??

TIA

·
Registered
221 Posts
The problem is caused by your FM modulator. First we would have see if anyone else has experienced the same problem to determine if the unit is defective or not. Take a good look at the modulator and see if it has an adjustment slot on it (look at the modulator manual) as some of them have a volume adjustment on them.

Back when I had my GL1500 I had a CD player that used a FM modulator and it did not reduce the normal FM reception that I could tell.
Part of the problem may be that the GL1800 AM/FM radio has such poor reception nomally that the small amount of attenuation introduced by the FM modulator may be enough to make the AM/FM weak.

If that reduction when powered on is normal for your modulator then you may have to start using the Aux input.
:yw1:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Spear,

My CD changer that uses an in-line FM modulator does the same thing and I would expect all of them to operate that way.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Spear - that's normal and if you want to operate your FM or AM and listen to those stations you should be turning off the XM receiver. Since I rarely listen to normal FM or AM anymore, the XM is on and the FM dial is tuned to 87.9.

DaleC

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks guys I figured it might be a normal thing but wanted to be sure.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes the FM modulator over powers all the radio receiver.
This is normal, I have XM mounted in my truck as well, and must turn the Xm off to use the Radio. Like above it rare I turn the XM off though.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I thought you just plugged the output of the xm radio into the aux. why use a FM modulator?

Dan L

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well guys, I'm afraid this one may go beyond the modulator. I run my XM directly through the AUX port and have the same problem. I contacted Sierra (I use the Sierra single combo antenna) and they didn't have an explaination. It appears that the ground plane design of the XM antenna masks the radio signal reception (the antenna tries to turn the whole bike, at least the metal parts, into a big satellite antenna). I believe :roll: that if I switched to a ground plane independant antenna, this would probably go away. However, those antennas are usually bigger and uglier! Another option is trying to move the XM antenna further from the radio antenna (mine is on the trunk wing), but I'm not sure it would help. As for me, I will just continue to switch off the XM when getting marginal FM reception.

·
Registered
810 Posts
XM Yuk

I'm sure I'll get static on this, but you all need to consider Sirius!

First, less commercials, more music. Second, lifetime for only $399. Last, it's a 12v system instead of the ridiculous 6volt that Delph uses on their main unit.

I had nothing but problems getting the XM to sound right on my bike and went to Sirius and it works like a charm. Great sound, using the aux, no whine or static.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mike,
Which Sirius receiver did you select? And why? My wife is pushing for my decision before Christmas.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I got the Serius PNP-1 but now see they have a new unit out. I haven't seen it in person so I cannot comment on the newer one.

I think the single most important item that you or anyone should consider when looking at satellite radio is the mix. Take the time to go to each of their websites, pick your favorite channel and then listen to it - for a day, then another day. See if you like what they are playing, how many songs they repeat, and how you just feel about it.

There is some debate over the cost per month, the size of the radio, six volt versus twelve, accessories. All of that is important, but each of us has personal likes and dislikes on songs and that is, after all, what we're buying it for.

I had XM for three days, thinking I'd love it and simply could not stand it. I sold it and bought my Sirius and like it so much I'll likely go to a lifetime membership in January.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The FM modulator block all incoming FM signal so that is isn't mixed with the XM output. I run the XM on the aux connection on the bike and have no problems at all but I do use the FM modulator in my truck and it acts as you described.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Use the Dephia xm model, no problem plugged into the audio cord. Yes my xm RF modulator in the trunk over powers the radio when on. And I was considering the new commando version for the bike, but now reconsidering since it use the RF modulator too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Re: XM Yuk

mcallery said:
I'm sure I'll get static on this, but you all need to consider Sirius!

First, less commercials, more music. Second, lifetime for only $399. Last, it's a 12v system instead of the ridiculous 6volt that Delph uses on their main unit.

I had nothing but problems getting the XM to sound right on my bike and went to Sirius and it works like a charm. Great sound, using the aux, no whine or static.
I agree. I had the same problems and with Sirius they went away. I have the Audiovox radio and it works great. :wink:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have my XM antenna on the dash, about as far away from the rear FM antenna as you can get so doesn't appear to help by moving the antennas father apart...Oh well. I can deal with it but I have the XM radio running thru the cassette adapter in my truck and everything can be on and all is the same volume so has to be somehting with the modulator

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Spear,

I went out and tested mine last night and verified that my FM reception is not affected by the XM radio. Even with weak stations (dropping in and out of Stereo) when I turn the XM on, it doesn't have any impact on the signal strength. This is with the antenna in the up and down positions both.

I've got mine running through the Aux circuit, so it's not exactly the same situation as yours, but Corbitt posted that he has this problem all the time.

I'm not sure where his antenna is located, mine's on the front brake reservoir and it works great!

Good luck with finding a solution to your problem :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jon,

When I had mine running thru the Aux it didn't effect the other FM stations either BUT it did effect my MP3 player in that I could only get monoral when using a y connector with both running off the Aux plug. SO I went the modulator route and got back my stereo but now have this problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts