GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Works Great

I have the Roady installed on my GL1800 with the antenna attached to the dash on the left side. It works without any signal fade at all. As part of the install, I used both Electrical Connection's noise filters (power and Auxillary Input) and that eliminated the alternator hum completely. My only complaint with my install is the location of the Roady in a clear pocket above the left fairring pocket. While that keeps it out of the rain, it also makes it impossible to safely change the station while riding. Of course, my Butler mug is also mounted on that side.

I am considering mounting the Roady on the top shelter where the Gold Wing emblem is. That way I could operate it while riding.

I purchased another antenna for my truck and easily move the Roady from the bike to the truck (only three plugs). I love the small size of the Roady for the bike. It is a much cleaner install than the Ski-Fi unit.

Dick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the Roady for the bike but have yet to get it there. Put it in my truck and then moved it to the car and now have it hooked up to the stereo in the garage. Amazing little box full of great music and so portable. What really amazed me is that I have the antenna just laying on my workbench some twenty feet from any windows or doors and it still picks up and plays great. Maybe I will actually put it on the Wing one of these days.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Roady/Sirius/Delphi, all radios

I don't have the Roady, but as I understand it, the only major difference is that I think the Roady is 12 volt isn't it? The Delphi is 6volt.

Now, I'm not an electronic's expert, but I'll tell you a little of my experience. With my Delphi I had to use the 6volt plug obviously and I powered it from the left aux power unit below the pocket. That and running the radio to the aux input whined like crazy. I tried the EC adapter and was upset with the amount of signal loss, but have since learned, after selling my Delphi, that the radio had an vol. output defect so that might have contributed to it.

I moved to Sirius but physically it's the same setup. I have the EC power plate and love it and ran the radio off ot it. The Sirius is 12v so its a direct feed. This setup, running to the EC plate and again to the aux gives me no whine.

I think you need to try and power it from the battery or the EC plate if you get one, as opposed to the aux, to see how it sounds, before you jump and get the ground loop. You'll spend money either way, but the power plate gives you other usage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Roady mounted between the bulter cup mount plastic and the spacers, on a piece of flat bar stock. I got the metal at local hardware and cut, drilled and bend to fit. I then mounted the back plate for the Roady to the bar stock using bolts with lock nuts. I routed the cables back down the handle bar and into the left side faring. You will need an audio extension cable I picked one up at radio shack to allow you to hook the audio up to the bike.
I have the power and audio hooked in the normal harness under the pocket. I added the ground loop isolator to kill the whine from the 12 volt supply. Be sure you use the 12 volt to 6 volt conveetor supplied, as the roady is 6 volt just like the Delphi. I mounted the antenna on the dash on a piece of flat metal (3" by 4" help reception sightly in weak areas) which is velcroed to the dash, ran the cable under the rubber boot around the mirror and down into the faring and up handle bar to the unit.
Make sure you test fix every thing an get the angle on the bend right, so you can see the display.
With the bracket mounted to the bike you can easily remove the Roady adn disconnet the three wires and lock it up.

If you need more info let me know. :)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike - too bad on your Delphi that you sold it. Chances are with a couple of simple and quick changes your volume could have been significantly increased to a level more than your ears could handle.

The Delphi has a internal volume level that you can manuver to increase the output, but on your Wing you should also make certain that you set the AMB switch on and it will increase your and improve volume too quite nicely.

I have the Delphi SkiFi and never need to run my volume any higher than about 20 for a pretty loud volume and that's with the FM Modulator too (which I also like).

DaleC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts