GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Slime Compressor (Power Sport Inflator) and also bought a Battery Tender cable connector (cigar adapter female). I was going to plug the adapter directly into the Battery Tender trickle charger wire that I always keep on my battery. I read somewhere that the Trickle charger adapter (that is connected to the battery) has only a 3 amp fuse.

Will this set up handle the Slime unit or will I blow a fuse? On the Cigar adapter descriptive it talks of charging cell phones and GPS, but nothing about running an air compressor.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The power adapter that Honda sells is indeed fused too weakly to power a compressor. The best thing you can do is set up a cigar lighter plug in the trunk with a 20 amp fuse inline direct to the battery. I bought an adapter at Wally World that would plug into a cig. lighter socket and give you three sockets. I cut the plug off the end and wired that up to the battery. Works great when you need a beefier power adapter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The cigar adapter which mounts under the left fairing pocket has a 5 amp in line fuse which will NOT support your compressor.

My battery maintainer came with a flat, two prong connector which the cigar lighter adapter plugged onto. I went to to Atwoods and picked up a flat two prong connector and wired it directly to my battery and leave it under the side cover. I then cut the cigar adapter off of my compressor and soldered a two prong connector to that cord. I can now plug in my maintainer or my compressor to the permanently mounted connector stored under the side cover.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Agilator clips

I thought about adapting to my Tender wiring too. Then I decided if I'm down for a flat/low tire, might as well take the side cover off so I can lose it too.
I just soldered a couple small alligator clips to the air compressor wires and hook directly to the battery if/when needed. Got them at Advance Auto, they even have red & black rubber sleeves on them for easy identification. Couple of bucks for the pair... YMMV

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the adapter wires for my Battery Tender jr Hooked directly to the battery (obviously) and it has the female two pronged recepticle. If I plugged the male two prong plug for my cigar adapter (female) to it and THEN plugged my Slime compressor cigar plug (male) into it, will this work or will I blow a fuse? I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
It is a very good idea. Why have two separate power plugs that do essentially the same thing. But like anything else, there is a catch.

A battery tender only has about a 2 amp fuse. A compressor probably has a 10 amp fuse.

A Battery Tender needs unswitched 12 volts, and a compressor should too. That means the outlet should connect directly to the battery. Here is the strategy to use when a socket has multiple uses.

Run a 16 gauge wire from your socket to the battery and use a 15 amp fuse holder in that line. (18 gauge will handle 10 amps easily.) That protects the wiring and the bike. (install the fuse holder close to the battery connection.)

You now have a universal socket that you can pretty much plug whatever you want into that universal socket. Whatever you plug into the socket must have its own fuse holder because every device has its own current limits. That fuse will protect the device is something should happen to it.

cig lighter sockets can't handle high current, so I would not go beyond a 10 amp fuse. many people go higher, but it's not a good idea.

For devices like cell phones and Ipod's, you need a switched outlet. That is what the outlet in the left pocket is good for.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've got the adapter wires for my Battery Tender jr Hooked directly to the battery (obviously) and it has the female two pronged recepticle. If I plugged the male two prong plug for my cigar adapter (female) to it and THEN plugged my Slime compressor cigar plug (male) into it, will this work or will I blow a fuse? I'm exhausted.
Only if the tender adapter line is fused and it is too small for the amp rating of the compressor.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It is a very good idea. Why have two separate power plugs that do essentially the same thing. But like anything else, there is a catch.

A battery tender only has about a 2 amp fuse. A compressor probably has a 10 amp fuse.

A Battery Tender needs unswitched 12 volts, and a compressor should too. That means the outlet should connect directly to the battery. Here is the strategy to use when a socket has multiple uses.

Run a 16 gauge wire from your socket to the battery and use a 15 amp fuse holder in that line. (18 gauge will handle 10 amps easily.) That protects the wiring and the bike. (install the fuse holder close to the battery connection.)

You now have a universal socket that you can pretty much plug whatever you want into that universal socket. Whatever you plug into the socket must have its own fuse holder because every device has its own current limits. That fuse will protect the device is something should happen to it.

cig lighter sockets can't handle high current, so I would not go beyond a 10 amp fuse. many people go higher, but it's not a good idea.

For devices like cell phones and Ipod's, you need a switched outlet. That is what the outlet in the left pocket is good for.
Both my tender and compressor are fused in their own respective lines. The two prong adapter which hooks to the battery is not fused. So each has their own properly rated fuse in their own cable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe it or not................finally....I understand. I've got to re-think how I'm going to do this. At least now I get what the technical limitations are of what I am dealing with. Glad it's not the space shuttle.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Believe it or not................finally....I understand. I've got to re-think how I'm going to do this. At least now I get what the technical limitations are of what I am dealing with. Glad it's not the space shuttle.
Glad we could help make the issue clear as mud for you!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A little off the topic but deals with power outlets.

I have ordered some items from burnsmoto.com. He provided excellent customer support and my order arrived in a few days.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Both my tender and compressor are fused in their own respective lines. The two prong adapter which hooks to the battery is not fused. So each has their own properly rated fuse in their own cable.
Not exactly. You have forgotten to protect one thing, the wiring and connector you installed. Even a simple socket or connector should be treated as a device, with it's own fuse protection. If you choose to do it this way, that is certainly your prerogative, but it isn't something you should be recommending on a public message board.

The cable you attach to your battery for plugging in your devices should also be fused as close to the battery as possible, even if that cable is only 2 ft long and hanging near the battery. This obviously means redundant fuses, but it is the right way to do it. Even if it is unlikely that the wire or connector would ever get pinched or short out against something, when installing wiring, you always plan for the unthinkable.

Even my fuse block, which is located right next to the factory fuse box is protected with a high amperage fuse a couple of inches away from the battery.

I don't know what kind of battery charger you have, but on both my Deltran batter tender and Yuasa maintainer, the charger side of the connector does not have a fuse. The fuse is on the battery side, right next to the battery lugs. It is when you start mixing and matching these cables with different devices that you run into problems.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seeing as how the left side cover comes off so easily, I use alligator clips directly on the battery for my Slime compressor and my battery tender. Works well when needed and fairly easy to do even for me.:coffee1:

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Seeing as how the left side cover comes off so easily, I use alligator clips directly on the battery for my Slime compressor and my battery tender. Works well when needed and fairly easy to do even for me.:coffee1:
How primitive. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O.k. boys, let me throw this little nugget into the mix. Stopped by my local NAPA store. Told him the deal. He said.............. change the fuse out on the Battery Tender battery wire from the 2 or 3 amp fuse that is in it to a 15amp fuse. He said the wire will handle it. He said they only put the 3 amp fuse in there in case there is a problem they want that 3 amp fuse to blow early to protect the bike and the Tender.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
He is clueless, and has no business working for an auto parts store and giving out advice. If he knows why the fuse is there, why would he tell you to ignore it?

The wire will handle the current (boderline), but that fuse is also there to protect the battery charger. Allowing anywhere near 15 amp to flow through that charger when it was designed to handle less than 2 amps is just asking for a fire. You should never ever increase the value of the fuse protecting a circuit.

That charger runs continuously in your garage, even while you are sleeping. By altering a built in safety feature of the charger, you put your family and home in danger. Please do not follow his advice. And I don't care how much you respect an individual's opinion, if they ever tell you it is ok to put a larger fuse in a circuit, ignore them.

It is ok to replace that fuse with a 15 amp for dual purpose wiring, but you will have to install a properly fused inline fuse holder in your battery charger's wiring.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry-My bad,
He also said only use this 15a version for using the compressor. He went on to splicing a fused wire using a 3a fuse. He said hook this up between the Tender and the adapter wire connected directly to the battery (now containing the 15a fuse).

Does this seem a more plausible or workable deal for handling both compressor duties and battery maintenence duties. The battery Tender adapter wire connected to the battery LOOK like there pretty heavy duty, but then again....looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Yes, absolutely. That little added piece of info was important, and that is exactly the way to do it. You have eliminated the Tender's fuse by installing a larger value that will handle the compressor. But you have replaced it with a new fuse holder right in the Tender's cord. That is perfectly acceptable.

My installation is very similar to what has been discussed here, with just a couple of little twists. It will be much easier to understand this idea with pictures. When the roosters wake up, I will go out to the shop and snap a couple of pictures to illustrate how it needs to be done.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed a heavy duty cigar type outlet in my left pocket which is powered by a relay and fused at 15 amp. I trigger the relay with 5 amp acc circuit under the left pocket. I mainly use it to powre my phone charger and to be available for my air compressor if needed.

Dennis

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Here are the pics I promised. (The first pic is from a website)

Below is a typical Battery Tender. It comes with the ring terminated adapter in the lower right hand corner of the picture. This is the wire that will serve double duty as a Battery Tender and compressor connector. It has a standard SAE connector on the end. This wire also contains the fuse holder for the Battery Tender. Note that the charger cord itself does not have a fuse holder.

The Yuasa charger is the exact same setup.

In the first pic below, you can see my battery charger cord hanging down by the battery. In my case, you don't see the fuse holder because mine is connected to my auxiliary fuse block. This is connected directly to the battery through my fuse block. Replace the original fuse with a 10 amp fuse, or whatever the value is of your compressor fuse. The primary purpose of this fuse is to protect this wiring in case it were to ever get pinched, or short out against the metal frame. Keep the old fuse. You will need it later.

In the next picture, you will see how I added an inline fuse holder to my Yuasa charger. Just cut the cord and shorten the positive lead. You can use standard crimp connectors to install the fuse holder. Use a meter to determine which lead is positive. Insert the fuse you removed from the other holder into this new holder. This is the fuse that will protect your battery charger. In my case it was a 2 amp fuse.

You are basically all set. But just to ensure compatibility with your compressor, check the polarity of the compressor's SAE connector to make sure it is the same as the charger's. It should be ok, but I like to double check.

If you installed a fuse in the bike side wire that is the same as your compressor, you will not have to install an inline fuse in your compressor cable. The bike side fuse will serve double duty to protect it.

I went a step further with this setup. You may have noticed in the above picture of my charger that I don't have an SAE connector at the end. I cut it off and attached a Powerlet connector. In the pics below, you will see how I installed a Powerlet socket in the battery cover. This outlet allows me to use my battery charger and compressor from the same outlet without having to remove any covers.

I took the SAE connector I cut off the battery charger and attached it to the end of the socket cable. This allows me to disconnect everything and fully remove the cover when servicing the bike.

This little addition does add about $15-$20 to the cost of the job because of the Powerlet plugs and socket, but the little extra time spent during installation makes life a lot easier. It encourages you to actually use your battery charger when your bike sits for a couple of weeks, because it is so convenient. And when you are on the road, it is really nice to be able to just plug the compressor into the bike instead of having to remove the battery cover first, which risks damaging it.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts