GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attending Wing Ding, my wife and I went to demo ride new Hondas as well as some trikes.

Honda demo ride was right outside the main entrance. Very well organized. The only downside was that you had to register inside at the Trade Show and than schedule the ride(s) outside at the site. Although, I think they changed that later so you could register at the site too.

Now about the interest for the rides - first day I was at the site at around 7:45am and the DCT Tour was already booked till noon! Two days after I was there right after 7am and it was already 6-7 people in front of me, just to get the number. Yea, the demand for demo rides was rather high.

Before every ride Honda people would go through all the rules and regulations with participants, explain all about the new Wing as well as about DCT and how to handle it. Thorough and professional. Answered questions if any, and off we go...

The ride was about 25-30 minutes (give or take), first part on highway with some 60+ mph speeds so we could get a feel for a highway speeds. The second part was through some secondary roads and neighborhoods with a speed limit of 35mph or so. Overall a good mix of roads, as good as you can experience at a demo ride. Lead and chase kept the group tight and in one piece.

I was very impressed with a DCT Wing. Easy to ride, smooth and quick shifting, option to override it especially when need to downshift, a feature to hold the bike uphill for a few seconds,... Wind management was better than expected but I'm sure a pair of under-mirror wings would make it even better. Another surprise was the seat, it wasn't as bad as I expected from the reviews I've seen previously. My wife thought seat was hard but not horrible. Seating position suits me better (somehow) than on pre-2018 Wing directly from the factory. Although the ride was not long enough to make that judgement properly. Handlebars position not bad at all (I've installed Helibars on my 2013), and overall didn't feel I would need a rider's backrest (that I have presently on my 2013).....again, demo ride not long enough for a proper evaluation of it. That said, the first impression comfort-wise was better than the first impression of my 2013, comparing without aftermarket accessories.

Wife, as a passenger, is usually quite "spoiled" with her comfort "back there"....and she was happy with a demo ride. Said that after a few minutes she was as relaxed as she is usually on our 2013. The passenger seat was hard but manageable, she said. Wind was not much different than on our bike that have +4 windshield and every available wind Wing installed......but again, the ride was not long enough and it was a very warm day.

Two days after we rode a manual version of the same bike. Very similar impression, overall a great bike.....but, given a chance, I would opt for a DCT hands down. The fast and precise shifting combined with a convenience of no-clutch, no-shifter was a win-win for me.

The only other bike I've tried (way too many people waiting to ride) was Africa Twin DCT. And what an amazing bike it was!... My wife was adventurous enough to join me as a passenger and we both couldn't believe how comfortable, smooth and powerful the bike was. I was intentionally looking for potholes and manholes on the road and we literally couldn't even feel going over them. The clutch was even smoother than on the Wing. At one point my wife said she wouldn't mind riding on Africa Twin as a passenger all day long. Did I mention she's really demanding when it comes to comfort?... Very, very pleasant surprise.

Overall, Honda did a good job with this demo ride - well organized, informative, professional, friendly.

Lastly, we went to try a trike. Just to experience it...to see would it be an option one day when I can't handle the bike no more. And no, it is not for us. Did not like it one bit, the ride was way different and awkward for both of us. Tried both a Prowler model (two wheels upfront) and regular trike (from Motor Trike) and didn't like either ride. Regular one was better, though. But not an option for us. I guess it didn't help that the guy at the demo ride was acting like those guys at state fair rides - no information, no questions, here's the keys, let's go.... No try-out at the parking lot, no safety brief... It was my first time on a trike. Probably last.
In hindsight, I could probably check other manufacturers there but that ride was about enough for both of us. We went back to the Honda demo ride and enjoyed it much more.

This was our very personal opinion about bikes we rode, not trying to convince anybody on anything. Just trying to provide more info about new models first hand after only a demo ride. It is worth trying if you have a chance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Nice right up. I came on Saturday and arrived at 8:45 am and was able to reserve a slot before going in to pay for my day pass. I had a strong feeling that I wouldn't be in the vendor area very long and declined reserving a time at 11:30, figured I'd be long gone, which I was.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well that was a pleasant and informative read.. Thank you.

I will agree with your opinion of riding a Trike. That is why I am bringinging a '98 GW with a Hannigan sidecar up to snuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts