GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 blue tour and it came with a small dent in the lid. It is located right of center in the center of the large sloping panel. It wasn't very noticeable when I purchased bike but has gotten worse as time goes on. Curious if anyone else has had a malformed part that has gotten worse over time.
I purchased the bike out of town but I have a good relationship with the local dealer. I installed all accessories including trunk rack and stop light. I don't think there will be a problem getting Honda to replace the lid but I was wondering if it is expecting too much that Honda pay the local dealer for installing the lid with the rack?

Thanks in advance
John

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
Honda will claim that YOU damaged the lid installing stuff on yer own.... if you have a good relationship with your dealer he may be able to help, however a replacement part no matter how small is removed and sent to Honda to study..... so with 4 holes in it your dealer will take it on the chin....

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had a defective battery on my 2018 and couldn't get it to start. After the dealer replaced the battery, no more problems. Honda refused to replace my 9 month old battery under warranty. Long story, but bike kept on battery maintainer dealer sold me for this bike and they installed all accessories. Bike only went two weeks without riding, but was on maintainer during this time. and Honda refused warranty replacement. Cost me $390 as I had to pay for Dealer to come get my bike and trailer it back to them (50 miles away). I think you will probably have a problem getting Honda to stand behind this problem, unless it is actually a blemish in the material and they can easily see it was a defect in manufacturing, and not some sort of dent because Honda will say you caused it. They are not the same Honda they used to be.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the same dent. Honda was no help. It is what it is. The plastics are super cheap and not good quality.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
930 Posts
I saw a discussion a while back about when the trunk rack is installed, some were having more problems with the trunk closing and locking, possibly due to the plastic not being able to expand and contract with the temperatures like it should.
I also noticed on my bike that when the temp is 105 out, the trunk and saddlebags are very hard to open.

I wonder if the plastic on these bikes are different than what was used in the prior Goldwings.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Everyone I have looked at has mould dents you will find the others if you look close it does show up more on some, more you look at it the worse it looks. It is P--- poor workmanship.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Tour last Thursday. I did a walk around and it looked good. Got home, put it up on the center stand to check out the underside for oil changes and such. I noticed it has some damage to the right side heat shield in various places from the center all the back to the end cap. Look like someone had scraped it while loading or unloading. I took it back and showed the dealer, since they missed it before they sold it Honda would not cover it. The dealer (Fay Myers in Denver) is making good and ordering the parts for me..........so ya, I wouldn't count on Honda replacing the lid.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Tour last Thursday. I did a walk around and it looked good. Got home, put it up on the center stand to check out the underside for oil changes and such. I noticed it has some damage to the right side heat shield in various places from the center all the back to the end cap. Look like someone had scraped it while loading or unloading. I took it back and showed the dealer, since they missed it before they sold it Honda would not cover it. The dealer (Fay Myers in Denver) is making good and ordering the parts for me..........so ya, I wouldn't count on Honda replacing the lid.
If the techs aren't careful, it is very easy to dent/scrape/damage the heat shields when rolling the bike out of the shipping skid.

:doorag:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a defective battery on my 2018 and couldn't get it to start. After the dealer replaced the battery, no more problems. Honda refused to replace my 9 month old battery under warranty. Long story, but bike kept on battery maintainer dealer sold me for this bike and they installed all accessories. Bike only went two weeks without riding, but was on maintainer during this time. and Honda refused warranty replacement. Cost me $390 as I had to pay for Dealer to come get my bike and trailer it back to them (50 miles away). I think you will probably have a problem getting Honda to stand behind this problem, unless it is actually a blemish in the material and they can easily see it was a defect in manufacturing, and not some sort of dent because Honda will say you caused it. They are not the same Honda they used to be.

Honda Care has roadside assist...you could have gotten it taken to the nearest honda dealer - regardless of how far away. I used that when my '08 was sitting in my shed with a flat back tire. I had Honda Care on my car, which also covers bikes.

I called them, and they didn't even know what I was talking about, then wanted to tow my bike to the car dealer...umm...no... Finally got them straightened out, and they put my bike on a rollback and towed it 45 mi to the nearest honda bike shop (which also happened to be my dealer...)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I saw a discussion a while back about when the trunk rack is installed, some were having more problems with the trunk closing and locking, possibly due to the plastic not being able to expand and contract with the temperatures like it should.
I also noticed on my bike that when the temp is 105 out, the trunk and saddlebags are very hard to open.

I wonder if the plastic on these bikes are different than what was used in the prior Goldwings.

It's definitely more flimsy (by a longshot) than that on the '08 I just traded in. It's like everything else...I lean on my car, and it dents - thin sheet metal. Time was when a family of 4 could climb on the roof of a van to watch a movie or fireworks or what not...and it would hold. Those days are long gone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep, you can thank the governments fuel mileage requirements on new vehicles. Less weight equals more miles per gallon. It used to be even a baseball wouldn't put a dent in your hood or roof now an acorn falling from an oak tree puts a dent in it.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I have not found any such dents, yet.

prs

·
Registered
712 Posts
The Batman. You gotta buy the warranty to get the towing. I did not.

I thought the OP question was, 'do ya think Honda will replace my trunk lid that has a defect after the OP installed a rack', not, would someone transport it somewhere to the dealer. Maybe I missed something??? As far as getting Honda or the dealer to replace it, my think is a "no". Save your self lots of aggravation and ride it like it is unless really bad and starts breaking down. Or you maybe be able to reinforce it from the underside with JB Weld, that stuff is good.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dent or dimple is difficult to see in picture but it was there before any accessories were added. I am not sure but I think it has gotten worse in high temp riding. There is no scratch or stress crack but it has become worse and more noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bags and trunk open and close predictably and without any difficulty. In fact they open and close better than previous model and without all the rattles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts