GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Plan to rent a motorcycle in denver then ride to badlands while stopping for one night to get there.
Then i am looking for a place (hotel) for 3 nights to visit the area
What would be a good central area to stay.
Then i plan to ride to cody (2 nights) to see the yellowstone park .
Then ride down to denver (2 days )
This will be done next august .propably the last week of august and first of september.
What should i expect as far as weather is concerned?
Does one require reservations at that time of the year?
Any other comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
"Does one require reservations at that time of the year?"
> Realize that Sturgis is in mid-August, so prices will be MUCH higher then.

"What should i expect as far as weather is concerned?"
> EVERYTHING... rain/snow/wind/lightening... Seriously, and that's all within the first hour! Bring clothes for everything you can imagine, as it's a very harsh environment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont want to be there during the sturgis event .
i planned to go there after (this seemed clear)
As far as the weather ,i was wondering if it was better (considering traffic )if its better in late june or some other time .

·
Registered
999 Posts
French Wing --

Your weather should be good, it seems like this is the most stable time of year in that area. Layers -- that's what you should plan on, it will be chilly in the morning but it will warm up if the sun's out, always pack the rain gear -- cheap insurance.

Three years ago my son and I stayed in Deadwood for two or three nights and loved it, it's a good hub to see just about everything without making for long mileage days plus it's a much nicer town than Sturgis. We stayed at the Black Hills Suites, extremely clean and reasonable but nothing fancy. The downtown trolley stops there frequently so if you want to have an adult beverage downtown you don't have to worry about parking or riding, we loved it. I don't think you will have any problems securing a room at that time of year but for my peace of mind I do like reservations.

The Black Hills are one of my favorite areas, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You should be ok in Cody this time of year, a lot of the tourists are home since the kids start school this week. Cody is 50 miles from the east entrance of Yellowstone, my suggestion would be to try and make reservations in Yellowstone to cut down on travel time. Weather should be ok, but then again 3 years ago we had snow on August 31st, so you never know !!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Depending on how far you want to go, and which route, Lusk, WY is a nice town to stay overnight in. Custer, Hill City, Keystone or Rapid City would also be nice. Sounds like a nice ride. Hope you have a great time, and we will expect some pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts