GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my right knee scoped on Tuesday.
Thankfully, I took the wing out for a little 100 mile loop on Sunday before.
Spent the last three days @ home on the couch (daytime TV really sucks). Back in the office today.
The leg is healing up nicely, and I can already put a good bit of weight on it. Better going up stairs (can control the speed better) than down. Hopefully, about the same time the streets here melt off, it'll be good enough to hold her up.
I did go out to the garage yesterday to move the wing. Had to get a car in from the cold, and the wing was in the way. Knee didn't collapse then, let's hope it holds up next time too!
What's that they say: "It sucks getting old."
Oh well, I'm not complaining if this is the worst card I've been dealt so far.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just one little scope? Heck you should have rode the bike home from the hospital. :wink:

I have had 7 of those little knee cuts. Had a replacement on the last one so hopefully i can go more that 2-3 years before having another one.

Getting old does suck an little, but sure beats the alternative :!:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I'm not that old yet, but I've spent way too much time on the tennis/racket ball/basket ball etc. courts. It didn't help much when I tore the ACL in my left knee three years ago either.

I was walking the same day as the ACL replacement. In fact, they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I did. Nevertheless, I spent about a week and a half on the couch and three months before I was confident enough to ride (I didn't trust my lateral stability).

Now I'm good as new, except for the crackling sound and the ability to tell the weather. :wink:

Why did they scope your knee? Did they find anything?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Notsluggo said:
They also say getting old beats the alternative. :D

Good luck, we're hopping it warms up a bit soon. Can't believe it was in the 60s and 70s last week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ought to have one of the graphics for my signature. Keep riding as long as you can. Had the left cut open for torn cartilage 25 years ago. Long before they could scope. Scoped it five years ago. Scoped the right four years ago, right after my heart attack. Started walking for exercise and the cartilage had worn so thin it folded over. Up and walking the day after. Riding in a couple of weeks. Been eyeing trikes and sidecars. I know eventually I'll be on one of those if I keep riding.

Make one wonder where their genes came from. My Mom lived to 85 and my Dad to 89. If I go that long, this body really will be totally worn out, or everything will have been replaced. :roll:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had a medial menisectomy on the right knee in 1964 after injuring it practicing judo while in the USAF. In Jul 02 after 30+ years of running, playing lots of basketball, handball, racketball, tennis, and lots of other abuses, and far too much arthritis, I had both my knees replaced at the same time. I was 63 then.

If your doctor has given you exercises or therapy to do, DO IT faithfully. You may regret it if you don't.

I started motorcycling about 16 mos ago and the knees have been holding up well. I completed a 7K mile ride across country in Jul - Aug on my VTX 1300 (before I bought the Wing) and never had any problems.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. :)

BTW, a 76 year old friend of mine that had brain tumor surgery w/in the past year told me, "getting is old is not for sissies."

Todd

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Rickster said:
Notsluggo said:
They also say getting old beats the alternative. :D

Good luck, we're hopping it warms up a bit soon. Can't believe it was in the 60s and 70s last week.
Getting old isn't for wimps. :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tore my meniscus 11 years ago - refused to have it scoped ( work in healthcare so won't go there :lol: ), faithfully did the exercises and have had no trouble with it until two days ago ( after walking all over Chicago in mainly heels). Iced and elevated it and is now as good as new again. No scopes for me!! :D

BTW - no trouble holding up the Wing since then either :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's been eight days now. I can climb stairs (and go down them too!) w/o too much trouble. The knee is relatively achy (sp?), but functional. Follow-up appt is next Monday. Swelling has not completely disappeared, so I'm hoping as that continues to dissipate, so will the achy-ness.

bcramer wrote "after walking all over Chicago in mainly heels" - um. I sure hope the B in bcramer is for Barb or Becky or something similar.....

I'll try to give the Wing a try this weekend. Supposed to be back up into the 50s here in Denver. And most of the sand should be swept away from the corners by then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts