GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Great pictures and video, John. Glad to see you have made yourself at home here in Fla. if you get a chance ride down 98 to Appalachicola. Great little fishing town that isn't as commercialized as the other areas of the Redneck Riveria.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there in over ten years. Glad to see it's still just as beautiful. I really like the white beach sand in the Destin/ Panama City Area. It always looks so clean.:clap2:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Restaurants

John,
Welcome to Florida. Head west towards Fort Walton Beach and have a great burger at Fudpucker's. Enjoy your stay.
Now that's what I like restaurants! Any more? Was told The Crab Trap is good!

And I had the flannel on so that everyone stuck in snow would not feel too bad!

I'm glad to see that Oakaloosa Island is owned by the military and cannot be built up. There is too much concrete in Destin, but the beaches are beautiful. However, most of the roads are straight :cool:

Anyone wanting to ride, just say the word - I'm here through March.

·
Registered
507 Posts
John,
Thanks for the great pictures. There's some nice views around Alagator Point & Apalatchacola areas too.
We'll be down here until April. I do miss the hills & twisties of Chester, Lancaster & Berks Counties though. I don't miss the cold & snow.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hmmmmmm.

White sands, white beaches, white sailboats, white TV (Explorer), white trailer (the RV), white steeples, white snow (well almost), white cream in your coffee, BUT NO WHITE WING in your video.

Did it fell out the back of your trailer on the way down and you're hopin' to find it on your way back north.?:eek:4:

If it did fall out - say in NC - maybe YW will find it for ya' and keep it exercised regularly. :lol: But if so, he'll likely do 318 turns in 11 miles, not your Florida wimpy 11 turns in 318 miles.

And, if it's chilly there, just wait - summer's comin'.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmmmm.

White sands, white beaches, white sailboats, white TV (Explorer), white trailer (the RV), white steeples, white snow (well almost), white cream in your coffee, BUT NO WHITE WING in your video.

Did it fell out the back of your trailer on the way down and you're hopin' to find it on your way back north.?:eek:4:

If it did fall out - say in NC - maybe YW will find it for ya' and keep it exercised regularly. :lol: But if so, he'll likely do 318 turns in 11 miles, not your Florida wimpy 11 turns in 318 miles.

And, if it's chilly there, just wait - summer's comin'.

Enjoy!
Oh, you want to see me! OK, that black curve in the riding videos is my dash. For my bike:

http://jkgraphics.com/Eagle/images/Deals_Gap_2008.wmv

·
Registered
171 Posts
John great pic's , the wife and I were down there last year and really enjoyed it //// HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!:doorag:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Video

I figured that - just had to kid you a bit since we got a Martha Stewart tour of your winter quarters.:lol:
The video tour was also for the Hot Wings back north (Cold Wings now!) & for Roger, who was instrumental in me getting the funding to buy the RV. If you see any comebacks with 'Bite Me!' that would be Roger. I keep trying to hit Powerball so the rest of the group can come on down, but no luck so far. Oh well, someone has to do this! :lol:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bald Eagle

If you start missing some curves, drive north about 4 1/2 hours and ride around Cheaha Mountain. It is a pretty area in Alabama. Nothing much in the south where I am but it's as close to curves as we can get :lol:

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Great job on the video. Me thinks I could get used to that lifestyle reeeal easy.
How did your Explorer do in towing the trailer there?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Need To Upgrade

Great job on the video. Me thinks I could get used to that lifestyle reeeal easy.
How did your Explorer do in towing the trailer there?
Now, that's a great question! Having a degree in Chemistry and dealing with specifications - specs, for short - I bought the Explorer because the towing was rated to 7400 pounds. That way if the day came when I would tow, I was ready. I custom ordered the car with the towing package.

This RV is about 5500 pounds with a 800 pound Wing and some minimal stuff - say about 6400. That's 1000 to spare, right? Well, specs do not apply here. I made it here using 4th and 3rd gears, mpg dropping to 6!

Needless to say, whoever gave me the tip to take weight times 1.5 for the towing spec, then get the tow vehicle is correct. Dan, aka TB3 on this board, is a Ford mechanic and keeps my Explorer in top shape. He helped make the rig to hold the Wing in the RV. Enter the Ford F-150 rated at just over 11,000 pounds. That's more than 6400 times 1.5 and will do nicely.

I was going to visit other military sites in Florida, but now I think I'll just stay here, tow back and trade up. Of course, if anyone knows of a Ford dealer who will give me an offer on an 09 F-150 with the towing package on a one owner 02 Explorer Limited, very well maintained, V8, every option except chrome wheels and the back up beeper, one owner me - with 50K miles, I'm open for discussion. I bought the Explorer fully loaded for my retirement vehicle and wish it just had the 5.4 Triton engine - it has the 4.6 liter engine.

Anyway, I took my time in getting here, taking breaks along the way. I had all maintenance done before the trip, and I'll take it back for Dan to check out after I return. Then I'll be looking to upgrade.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts